a bit confused? whts the deal with hand luggage now?

Discussion in 'Accepted/Current CRP Participants' started by gavlamba, Aug 13, 2006.

1. gavlamba

gavlamba New Member

Hey im flying out on the tenth with ba and im unsure about the handd luggage allowance are you allowed any? since the latest Lonodn terror alerts im not too sureas I want to take my laptop but im abit scared as to putting it in my suitcase as I know how the ppl handle them throwing it onto the plane!

If anyone knows pls reply

Thanks
    Gav

2. mickeymarc

mickeymarc Member

At this minute you can only take travel documents onboard as they give you a clear bag to put them in, but hopefully things will change before the 10th! im sure by the time our flight arrives everything will be back to normal :D
    i think i am gonna book the BA flight too. there were 2 options BA and Virgin for the 10th so if i pick BA i should be on your flight :) what time is your flight so i can see if it'll be the same.
    Hopefully booking it today!
    wooooooooooooooooooo - 27 days left :D

3. acp

acp New Member

That's one of my worries at the moment. I was planning on taking my laptop with me, but if the hand baggage restrictions are still on when I fly out, I doubt I'll be taking it along with me.

Andy.

4. gavlamba

gavlamba New Member

i knw me too im quite scred althouigh if u go on to the ba website it says u can take laptops but hve to store them in the holds above ur seats im even more confused now :S :-[ :'( :mad: :( :-\

5. PrincessJilly

PrincessJilly New Member

is that info thats been updated in light of the current situation? or the standard guidelines?

6. good news! the ban has been lifted!

we can take hand luggage again ;D

7. PrincessJilly

PrincessJilly New Member

has it relaxed as much to the US too?

8. acp

acp New Member

According to the beeb, it's been lifted to the point where you still can't take liquids, and you have to unpack big electrical items for them to check. See this article:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4789593.stm

Hopefully, it'll be somewhere near getting back to normal again by the time we fly on the 8th and 9th (or 10th, as the case may be).

Andy.

9. ohhh thats got me thinking, when i went to monaco last month they made me take out all my electricals and switch them on and they went thru my hand luggage till there was nothing left, i wonder if they knew about the threat then?

10. PrincessNat

PrincessNat New Member

I flew from Venice - Gatwick yesterday. We werent allowed hand luggage. We couldnt take liquids or electrical items and we had to put travel documents in a plastic bag. But according to the news its relaxed a bit, we can take electrial items and a small bag but still no liquids.

http://news.uk.msn.com/Article.aspx?cp-documentid=776513

I dont mind how strict it is, I just want us to all get there safely!! :)

11. exactly

we can do without i pods and magazines and whatever, the important thing is we can travel safely and not give in to the idiots who want to stop us

12. gismo1554

gismo1554 New Member

Just to let you know Gatwick and Heathrow aren't allowing hand luggage till tomorrow (not that this will effect many people) You're not allowed any liquids including gels, creams toothpast etc. Mobile phones and car keys are still not allowed however according to the BAA information. Gatwick site states slightly differently however as below:

Strictly one item of cabin baggage per passenger, no bigger than the size of a laptop of small rucksack - 35cm (13.5 inches) wide x 45cm (17.5 inches) long x 16cm (6.5 inches) high.

The bag must NOT contain:
    - Any liquids, cosmetics or toiletries, including gels, pastes, lotions, liquid/solid mixtures, perfumes and the contents of pressurised containers - these must be checked in as hold baggage
    - Cigarette lighters are NOT permitted in hold baggage or through the security search. These may be purchased airside.

The bag CAN include:
    - Electronic equipment including mobile phones, digital cameras and MP3 players (such as i-Pods)
    - Prescription medicines in liquid form, eg diabetic kit
    - Baby milk and liquid baby food (the contents of each bottle MUST be tasted by the accompanying passenger)
    - Laptops must be removed from the bag for x-ray.

Also for USA fights it states:
    Cabin baggage which adheres to the new regulations will be permitted on board. However, extra restrictions remain in place and you WILL NOT be permitted to take any liquid or gel items purchased in the departures lounge into the aircraft cabin. All food or beverage items must be consumed before boarding.

13. gavlamba

gavlamba New Member

oh my god ive onlly been away fr a few hours or so lol and so much has changed! thanks to everyone who has replied to this post it means so much to me good to knw that there are very good methods of security i agree with ya nat hun i hope eacha nd everyone travelliing will reach thier destinations safely!!

gAV X

IS EEVRYONE EXCITED!