A List Of Questions - Help/Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Accepted/Current ICP Participants' started by Helix, Jul 2, 2008.

1. ~Disney_Princess~

~Disney_Princess~ New Member

So if you book a return flight then cancel the return you get a refund for it?? Is that true for all airlines?

2. KC

KC New Member

Absolutely not. I'm in the US at the moment on an internship as part of my degree, and when I tried to do this, I was told I'd lose the money I paid for the return, which worked out to be around €270 or so, I think. In the end, I'm having to use the original flight-which is really inconvenient, cos I'm doing a week in Disney when I'm done and will now have to fly back to Boston and then home. Arg!

However, if you do get a refundable fare, it's usually a little bit more expensive than a non-refundable one, but if there's a chance you won't use that particular return, it'd certainly make things easier, I guess!

3. leomgray

leomgray New Member

I want to buy a flexible ticket but they can be really expensive, that is the only problem with refundable tickets.

4. DisneyGibbs

DisneyGibbs Active Member

You can definitely get refunds with Virgin Atlantic...there's a whole page dedicated to it on their website (that's what Mum says!)

5. ~Disney_Princess~

I've never travelled with Virgin but I've heard good things....how is it travelling with them? I know it's usually more expensive but sometimes it's worth it ;)

6. DisneyGibbs

I've never had better service...it's like Disney! I don't think I've ever had a problem flying with them.

7. AlanWCollins

AlanWCollins New Member

I went with Virgin when I went to Florida last month - and I have never experienced better customer service on a flight!

The only problem was that the outbound and inbound flights were both delayed (outbound was delayed three hours, inbound was just delayed the one).

8. Helix

Helix New Member

Hey, it isn't long before I head to Orlando for the Graduate Program. I was reading through the information pack again, and even more question have come up.

I really appreciate it if anyone can answer them.

Clothing Questions

Professional Dress - Is this just needed for the Traditions Training? I only have one suit and jacket, which I bought for my interview, I'm assuming that that will do. I don't have more that one professional outfit, everything else I have is jeans, shorts, shirts, and t-shirts.

Underwear :-[ - I read the undergarments section, and do we really need to wear an undershirt (ie. vest)? My mothers getting on at me about socks. I have plenty of white socks (long and trainer socks) but not a lot of good black socks - they've been worn at work a lot. Will I need black socks for working at Disney? Or are these supplied by costuming or something? (job: main entrance operations).

University - What is the dress code for attending the university as part of working with Disney? I might be wrong, but I just assumed that we would wear 'normal everyday clothing' (shorts, t-shirt, trainers ect...ect)

Airport Transfer - Updated Just Noticed
    Just noticed that no one will meet us at the airport when we arrive, that that we need to make out way to Vista. Now it gives us directions on where to go... will we need to book tickets? Do we get discount? Or has this changed again since I got the pack a couple of months ago?

Renters Insurance
    I noticed that we can get renters insurance for $15.00 per calendar month, but does anyone know what this will actually cover? I'm going to buy a MacBook Pro when I come over - so will that be covered if I leave it in the apartment?

9. DisneyGibbs

Ok, I hope I can help on some of the things!!!

Professional dress is mainly just needed for Traditions. You may need to wear it for area training (I know I had to in both F&B and attractions) but that really depends on what they tell you. If you get stuck, ask when you're there and people will be happy to help! The main thing is, smart for Traditions, otherwise it doesn't really matter. Maybe take a couple of shirts to go with the suit. I wore my suit for pratically a week (we didn't know you could dress casual for some things...we constantly got told how smart we were!).

Underwear lol. You don't have to wear a vest...unless you want to of course ;) As for socks...take a few pairs and then wait to see what your costume is like. Some may require you to wear black socks, and some white. You'll have enough time to go to Walmart to get some!

As for University, I have no idea. In my Disney classes we had to go smart, or in costume (if we had work afterwards).

Airport transfers: Mears shuttles are great for transport...they know where the Disney complexes are, and it only costs about $20 one way. It's basically a mini bus that drops off at hotels and disney and stuff. It could take a while, but its reliable!

Hope this helps!

10. Helix

Helix New Member

Thanks for the information... its calmed me down a little.

If you want to be roommates with someone you know, can you let Disney know so they can put you into to the same apartment? I'm getting mixed answers from this, people on here say no, but people who were at the interview said that you could request being in the same apartment, and this was before he mentioned the $50 transfer fee, meaning that it could be done beforehand.

Just wondered how it worked.

Again, thanks... oh its so exciting only 38days

11. DisneyGibbs

Hmmm that is a tricky one...there are many different answers! Disney don't like to put you with people from the same country, so you get to know more people. Of course, there is never any harm in asking at the interviews and when you get there!

12. Mauro

Mauro New Member

well it takes a lot of dedication and patience with the price management guys to arrange specific acommodations¡ but it is possible and you do need to pay the 50 bucks relocation fee and you need to do it after some time you have arrived¡

for disney university...you can wear casual clothing as long as it is in the disney look. This includes training and classes

for traditions...go smart.

The insurance is for hurricanes mostly...not stolen things or burglary¡¡¡

13. Helix

Helix New Member

Yeah thats a lot of hassle, I'll just take what's given and hope for the best. Will probably meet my friends around.

Disney University, I meant the Rosen College of Hospitality Management at University of Central Florida, I take it its the same thing? 'Disney Look' does that mean that shorts and t-shirts and trainers are out of the question. I thought it would be like university over here, where you wear what you like.

Will need to look into covering my computer, don't want it being stolen or accidently broken.

Thanks again for all the information.

14. cowza

cowza New Member

From my experience in January... I got the impression they couldn't care less who you are placed with and it is completely random. I ended up with two fellow British to start with and three Brazilians. (Eventually moved in with americans and it was much better)

But everyone on my program was completely randomly placed. Some were completely alone with six different nationalities sharing... some ended up with people they had met.

I'd say largely though people seemed to be placed with at least one other of their nationality.

It's pretty impossible to request to be in the same room before you get there but if you tell them when you arrive and beg it's possible they'll move you both without charging anything. If not you have to wait three weeks and then you pay $50 and you can move.

I think the housing is the worst ever for internationals. When Americans arrive they get a choice of which complex they are put in and their preference for the number of room mates. Internationals just get put wherever there is a gap.

Like the sharing is fine and everything... just the way they allocate it sucks. If you wanted to live on a budget they could technically put you in Patterson which is a lot more than Vista. Equally if you wanted to live somewhere nicer they could put you in Vista. Then YOU have to pay when you are not happy...

Rant over haha

Ben

15. DisneyGibbs

Haha...rants are fun.

But then if you're on the CRP, you'll be in either the Commons or Patterson, unless they're fully booked in which case you'd be put in the others. On my first program I was in Vista, loved it! Despite what other people said about the other complexes! It had more facilites than me uni halls so I was content :D hehe

16. cowza

cowza New Member

That's very true. Even though Vista is the oldest complex it has the most facilities. Computer room is open 9AM til midnight every night and you don't have to fight over washing machines like in Chatham where they have to go to the *laundry room* haha. I got in fine in Vista too (after I moved to a four person haha), I just spent a lot of time in Chatham because most of my good friend lived there. Oh... and the fact they opened a Starbucks by Vista this year... I think it was fate I ended up there haha.

17. DisneyGibbs

And Wendy's is right next door....and Chevron give you discount on B&J's... what more could you want?? Haha, yeah you are further away from the other complexes, but Vista is still a great place to live. I never envied my friends in Chatham because they all wanted to live in Vista with the rest of us!

18. ~Disney_Princess~

The best place to live is gonna be where most of your friends and people you know and work with live too.

19. Helix

Helix New Member

Ok I need some advice from people who wear Glasses and/or Contact Lenses.

In 17 days I'm going to start the Graduate Program at Disney ;D so I'm getting thing prepared and now I need help and advice about contact lenses and glasses.

If you haven't guesses, I have glasses and I wear Contact Dailies (lenses you use and then throw away at the end of the day) - now I don't really wear my contacts that much... but thinking ahead about Disney and needing sunglasses, then this has made me wonder.

Will I be needing a supply of lenses, or should I switch to monthly ones? I'm really torn between the two - as 1) i'd either use all my daily which will cost a fortune to supply, or 2) I buy month lenses but find that i don't use them everyday - which will be a waste.

If other people wear glasses and/or contact lenses what do you do?

20. DisneyGibbs

I have contacts (though I didn't when I was in Disney) and I wear them virtually everyday (except for days off), so if I did get the opportunity to go out next Feb, I'd ask Vision Express for a years supply (though this could be a problem because they go out of date)...or have my Mum send them out everytime the contacts arrived at home. I don't have the patience for looking after monthly contacts.

Of course...it depends on your preferences. Dailies are handy because you can dispose of them...but then there's the problem of getting new ones and they go out of date. Monthlys could be handy because you don't need as many (though I'm not sure how the distribution works...do they give a years supply???).

The best thing to do is probably sit down and ask the opticians about it...they most likely know more and are used to people leaving the country for long periods of time.