Academic Exchange Program July 2013!

Discussion in 'Accepted/Current ICP Participants' started by katiej22, Nov 24, 2012.

1. katiej22

katiej22 New Member

Just thought I'd start a thread for anyone doing the Academic Exchange programme starting in July 2013 for a year! :)

I'm Katie, I'm 24, studying International Tourism Management at RGU.

Starting next July, doing Front Desk and Concierge! So excited! ;D
    xx

2. Alextinafoster

Alextinafoster New Member

Hey Katie

I'm also doing the Academic Exchange starting in July, doing the same as you, front desk and concierge :) I'm so excited!

I'm Alex, 20 and I'm studying international hospitality management at University of Brighton!

I did the ICP last summer and we had a group on Facebook, which was perfect because we got to know people but there doesn't seem to be one for the year programme :/ i
    You're the first person I've found doing the programme outside my uni!
    X

3. katiej22

katiej22 New Member

Yay someone else! There is a group on facebook, search for Disney Academic Exchange Experience 2013-14 :) let me know if you can't find it and we'll sort out adding each other so I can add you :)

I'm so excited to meet someone else! I've done the ICP before as well - best experience of my life :)
    xx

4. Alextinafoster

Aww brilliant, found it! Thank you :)

I agree! I love Disney and working for them was a dream so to actually do it was amazing!

When do you start?
    Xx

5. katiej22

katiej22 New Member

It was my dream for so long, and to do it not once but twice was the absolute best thing a girl could ask for! QS wasn't my first choice but CHH completely made up for it, and attractions was amazing as well :D

This is my absolute dream though - to be there for a full year! My best friend now works as concierge and loves it, I'm hoping I will too (although I have no idea where we'll be, I kinda hope deluxe as they have more options, like lounges and club levels so I guess unless we're deployed we won't do them if we're at the moderate/value?). I would LOVE the Art of Animation resort but as it's value it's not so much concierge... that or the Grand are my two top choices :)

I start July 15th, and can't believe I'll be there a whole year! SO EXCITED!!!

Are there many doing it from your uni? There's 4 from RGU (and we had to interview in Preston. That is a long drive from Aberdeen!)
    xx

6. Alextinafoster

I feel extremely lucky to be able to do it twice. QS was tough but being able to watch the fireworks and parades every night and working with some of the best people made it amazing!

Which hotel is your friend working in?
    I would be happy anywhere but obviously it would be amazing if we were put in the deluxe resorts, like you say there are so many more opportunities in them! The Yatch and Beach club or any of the Magic Kingdom resorts would be incredible!

I also fly out on July 15th 137 days and counting :D time is flying by!!

There's a few of us. There's 6 of us that I know of. We had to go up to London which wasn't too bad, plus we got to have a day in London :)
    Xx

7. katiej22

katiej22 New Member

I am so lucky to get to go back for a third time. Can't believe how lucky! It truly is the people that make your job!

My friend works in the Grand Floridian (always wanted to work there. But now he's there it would be kind of weird if I worked there!) but any resort should be amazing (except the All Star - I cannot rock the tracksuit look!). I hope if we are in a value resort they deploy us to a nice one, just so you can get the different experience - there are some very rich people there... and I'm sure dealing with them is different to the people with slightly less money. Although at value... brazilian tour groups *shudder*...

It's only 132 days now! Time really is flying! :eek:
    6 isn't bad - aside from the 3 others from my uni, I only know the other two who were in my interview slot personally - can't wait to get out there! I'm hoping they room us together with others on the year - it just makes more sense in my head ;) and interviewing in London is way better than Preston - there's so much more to do! Although we did have a mini road trip from it so it wasn't all bad...

Ahhh can't wait to meet everyone!!! xx

8. Alextinafoster

It's incredible that you're getting to go back for a third time, you must have made a very good impression.
    I don't know if I could deal with all of the Brazilian tour groups again, it was difficult enough selling ice cream and popcorn to them, I can't imagine having to check them in and out :/

It would make so much sense to be roomed together. I know lots of people who had to move apartments throughout the summer, it was crazy!

122 DAYS

It's going to be sooo amazing! I'm making a bucket list of things to do during the year. There's so much I didn't do last summer that I regret so I'm making sure I'm going to do everything haha :)

Xx

9. katiej22

katiej22 New Member

Oh, I'm making sure I have a list of things I want to do! Although the parks get so much less crowded in September, I might wait until then to properly do them...

I'm slightly scared of the tour groups to. Hate them (and they come back at Christmas I think... :()

Are you over 21 yet? With the new system for roommates I'm hoping I can find at least one person to live with... :)

I'm amazed I got back in myself, I didn't think I'd made that good an impression honestly! But it's nice there's a mix of alums and newbies going! :)

JUST OVER 2 MONTHS!!!

xx

10. Hippymeow

Hippymeow Member

Alextinafoster! Do you now work at the poly by any chance? I work MK ODF and one of the guys (James the stocker/inventory) mentinoed his friend coming back for a year who worked in odf last summer!