Anxious mum of a newbie

Discussion in 'Walt Disney World College Program' started by emilys mum, Jun 25, 2007.

1. emilys mum

emilys mum New Member

Hey Guys
    I wonder if u can help me. My daughter Emily arrived in Florida yesterday from England, very tired and (already) somewhat disillutioned! Her apartment is in Chatham and she arrived to find that her apartment contained no tv, iron, kettle, toaster or phone line. Is this normal or has she been unlucky? We are both absolute disney freaks and she has been really looking forward to her disney adventure. I am anxious that this initial bad impression will not spoil the magic for her. Who does she complain to if these things are not resolved today. Thanx

2. DisneyGibbs

DisneyGibbs Active Member

Hi Emily's Mum!

This is totally normal. I lived in Vista Way and we had none of those things, except we did have a phoneline, so I'm a little confused about that. Each apartment should have a phone in it. If she wants to complain then the best place to go is to the front desk at Chatham, and if that doesn't help then speak to the Price Management Manager (though it shouldn't need to go that far!)

I pretty sure that this won't spoil the magic! I'm a big Disney Dork myself, and although my apartment wasn't great (Vista Way is the oldest complex and could do with refurbishing) it didn't impact on my time there whatsoever. There are plenty of things to do than spend all your time in your apartment, and besides, Walmart is really cheap. My roomates and I were quite surprised with the lack of necessities when we arrived, but we were tired and that made it seem worse.

Did Emily move into an empty apartment or were there already Cast Members living there? My roomates and I all moved in on the same day so we had nothing (but we acquired a lot over the year! I'm not sure how we managed to get 2 tvs but we did!)

I hope this has helped! Feel free to ask any more questions!

3. emilys mum

emilys mum New Member

Hey DisneyGibbs
    Thank u for your reply. It really helped. I get a feeling that I will be relying on you guys on this site quite a bit for answers and support. I'm not sure if her room mates r all new too. I haven't had a chance to speak to her on the phone yet. Did you enjoy your time in the 'spiritual home' of us Disney nuts? Would u go back and work there again. It's something I would have liked to have done when I was younger. It's good to know that Wal-Mart are cheap for the 'bare necessities'(he he). Thanx for your help sweetie. U R very kind.

4. DisneyGibbs

Oh I loved it. More than loved it. In fact, there are no words to describe how much of an amazing experience it is. I can't wait to go back and have already applied for December 2008 (unfortunately university and graduation gets in the way!) It really is the most magical experience; it's one thing to experience the magic as a guest, but to be able to make that magic as a Cast Member is a whole other level.

5. emilys mum

emilys mum New Member

I am so glad you feel that way, DisneyGibbs!!! Where did you work? Thank you for telling me all this. I must admit that I thought not many people would be wanting to talk to a mum.

6. DisneyGibbs

I'd talk to a wall if it wanted to know about Disney! In fact I pretty sure I do sometimes :-\ Anyway, I worked in the Main Street Bakery and Plaza Ice Cream Parlour for 3 and a half months, and then at the Jungle Cruise for 7 and a half months. I was really lucky with my locations, as I think the bakery is one of the best quick service restaurants to work in the Magic Kingdom. The costume is awesome and you get to be around all that lovely food and ice cream!

And then there's the Jungle Cruise. Being a skipper is definitely one of the best attraction roles and it's so much fun!

7. j0hnyoung

j0hnyoung Guest

I was on the college program last year and i turned up to an apartment pretty much the same, apart from the phone was broke, but there was one..So i just told the reception desk at chatham and they fixed it within a few days, i didn't really even notice the wait tho, because you hardly really ever spend anytime in your apartment..

To be honest, i would say that chatham is the nicest out of all the accomodations, i would personally say its even better than the commons to be honest..

As for the experience of disney, well i think it says it all that im going back for a year in 7 weeks! ;D

Disney is really secure as well, so u've got nothing to worry about there, there's pretty much security everywhere you go, so your always safe, they've got really strict rules as well, and they are there for a reason i guess, not just to keep things under control but also to provide a safe place for us all to live while were over there..

8. emilys mum

emilys mum New Member

Thanx Guys!
    You have really put my mind at rest. Emily is doing quick service F&B. Not her first choice but she applied late and I think it was all they had left. She seems to be happy tho. I think she would do anything to work in that special place!! I hope she is as lucky with her work location

9. disneydreamer

disneydreamer New Member

this actually made me LOL....

10. Elizabeth

Elizabeth New Member

hi, i'm Elizabeth, will be working in uk food and bev too from 28th august! :)

can't wait to get there, hope everything will go easily for me lol

11. adjonline

adjonline New Member

You think she's kidding. She's not.

:D

12. DisneyGibbs

Shusht you...or I'll quit...again.

But it's true...I talk to the wall about Disney...and my laptop and my Mickey Mouse.

The reason? Because I need to fill my 'talking about Disney' quota each day and sometimes there's just no one around :p

13. Elizabeth

Elizabeth New Member

hahahahaha! That's funny! lol u need to fill ur disney quota! lol