Attractions

Discussion in 'ICP Applicants Discussion' started by Imagineer2802, May 27, 2013.

1. Imagineer2802

Imagineer2802 New Member

Hi! Me again! ;)

I was wondering if anyone that's been accepted for the role of attractions would be able to say which attraction you worked at? When I apply, I think attractions would be my #1 choice, and I'd be desperate to do an attraction with a spiel, like Kilimanjaro Safaris, Great Movie Ride, or Jungle Cruise. I've heard they don't put ICPs on the Jungle Cruise anymore though, so not holding out much hope for KS or GMR! :'(

What sort of attractions have you previous ICPs done? I think having to stand out on the Magic Carpets of Aladdin would be a total nightmare!

Thanks in advance! ;D

2. katiej22

katiej22 New Member

I worked at Mission: Space :)

And you're right, they don't put ICPs on a lot of attractions now, such as Jungle Cruise, due to language barriers and shorter program lengths - it's easier to stop all ICPs than try and pick and choose (and when I was at space, we had an asian girl that barely spoke any english, and it's a safety hazard). And for Kilimanjaro Safaris, you have to have a US drivers licence so no ICPs :(

I know people who've worked all over though: test track, spaceship earth, star tours, movie ride (this was in 2009 though), the nemo musical, festival of the lion king, tower of terror, american idol... all over! :)
    If you have a place (such as fantasyland) you'd really like to work, make sure to mention it in your interview - but still seem flexible - you don't want to be turned down because you seem too fixed! :)

Attractions is the best - but I did QS my first time (my last choice) and it was so much better than I thought it would be! Don't count something out - it is what you make it, especially for the people you work with (they made my program!). I loved attractions, and I would do it again if I could :)

3. Imagineer2802

Imagineer2802 New Member

Thanks for the info! I keep hearing so much contrasting info - I know someone working on the Jungle Cruise at the moment, and she said they put loads of ICPs on Kilimanjaro Safaris, but none on Pirates of the Caribbean because it's more sophisticated than Safaris!! As I say, I'd love an attraction like the Great Movie Ride with a spiel etc - I don't want to get "set" on anything but I don't think i'd enjoy an attraction that just required you to more or less stand there (i.e. The Aladdin/Tiki/Treehouse role!) but then again I guess a role is only as good as you make it! Positive attitudes all the way! :D

4. vickiw001

vickiw001 Member

I may be wrong on this but as far as I'm aware the only attraction that they can't put ICPs on is Kilimanjaro Safaris because of the US driving license as previously mentioned, this also applies to the monorails, trams, buses etc. I think some of the other attractions such as Tower of Terror and Jungle Cruise are harder to work on because so many of the US CPs want to work there so there are fewer jobs available but ICPs can and do work there occasionally. This may be wrong but the first set of UK ICPS leave on Monday so you will be able to find out then what sort of attractions people are working on.

Also it might be worth mentioning that if you apply for attractions you could end up working at the main gates as they are all grouped together under the operations title. For some of the rides such as Aladdin you do move around between attractions in that area and you also change roles throughout your shift so don't worry, you won't just be stood in one place for eight hours!

5. Imagineer2802

Imagineer2802 New Member

I will definitely be keeping an eye out on here for updates from the current ICPs! I'm following a few on Tumblr so will hopefully be kept up to date!

I thought main gates came under "operations"? Definitely wouldn't want to stand at turnstiles for three months!! I've heard you can request attractions/areas though so would give that a go! (I hope i'm not sounding like im whinging about everything! :-[ Definitely not - just wanting lots of info! ;D) I think i'm just getting over excited about everything too early - applications don't open for several months yet!! LOL!

Just noticed you're off this year too - have a GREAT time! Which role are you doing? :)

6. vickiw001

vickiw001 Member

I will be working in merchandise this year :D, my Tumblr blog is: http://vickisdisneyadventure.tumblr.com/ I have written some stuff about the application on there if you want to take a look. All of attractions and main gate were under the title of operations this year meaning you could be in either role. I'm not sure about requesting attractions, I know it was possible in the past but YJ told us this year that they couldn't take any requests. I know a few people sent them in anyway (including myself) so who knows what will happen. Plus if you explain in your interview that you really want to work on an attraction I think that could be of some benefit (although I have no real knowledge of this, I'm just going off the interviews that I attended this year and other peoples interviews. I know some people got the opportunity to say where they would like to work and what ride they would like to work on so that may be of some benefit to them).

Again this is one of those things where it will become clear once people start finding out their roles. Hope this helps a little, if you have any other questions let me know, I am so bored of revision and need a distraction! Good luck in your application next year!

7. Imagineer2802

Imagineer2802 New Member

Thanks for the info! No harm in sending a request, even if it doesn't work! and even if it's a role I don't particularly want...it's DISNEY WORLD for goodness sake...EVERY role has magic ;)

8. vickiw001

vickiw001 Member

haha yep I totally agree, a lot of people have said it doesn't matter what their role is, if it allows them to go into the parks for free on their days off it will be totally worth it! But I think most of the roles would be pretty interesting, for me personally there aren't any places where I would hate to work, gotta look at the positives of it all :)

9. catfish278

catfish278 Member

I did my second ICP at Star Tours, when it flew to the forest moon of Endor every 8 minutes ;) We got to spiel loads and make things up as long as covered the safety points... sadly these days there is an automated spiel that also repeats in Spanish...

10. katiej22

katiej22 New Member

Ahh yes Cat ;) I always loved going to Endor... :p

Whereas at Mission:Space we had a set (short) spiel we had to say. And each attraction has loads of different roles which you rotate - at Space we rotated every 45 minutes (welcome when you were standing outside at launch ticket, which sucked), but test track rotates every hour instead. So it all depends :)

And you can't request after your interview, but always try and say something in your interview if you're asked about roles. Disney do keep changing what they allow and don't, but it's always worth asking. But I can't stress enough how much you need to appear flexible - otherwise they might not hire you!!
    xx

11. gldc

gldc New Member

On this note, as of Summer 20113 when I worked at WDW, ICPs (At least from the UK) cannot work on any ride which has a height restriction.