Aus/NZ 2013?

Discussion in 'ICP Applicants Discussion' started by brookie473, Feb 4, 2012.

1. Yecats

Yecats New Member

I was only studying part time for my cert 3 but I will study full time for my cer 4 so I just hope thats enough!

2. bern1992

bern1992 New Member

Every single thing I've read says never, ever book flights until you have the visa in hand.

3. Smunk

Smunk New Member

Yeah as long as you meet requirements you should be fine. A girl in our August intake Facebook group had a few problems with getting her Visa because they said she was ineligible as she was doing a Tafe course... but then they ended up changing their minds and sending her the Visa. It was all very confusing. It definitely varies from person to person, but i haven't heard of anyone getting declined as of yet. I was nervous before my Visa appt, because I withdrew from uni last year, but was still technically enrolled so was hoping and praying I was still eligible for the Visa! And I was so yay =D

You're not meant to book flights til you have the Visa, but I came across some pretty cheap flights a month or two ago and thought I'd just book them without a Visa. I figured it was 95% likely I'd get the Visa, and even if I didn't, I could just go on a trip to America haha.

4. Rhianne

Rhianne New Member

Most of the august group has booked their flights before starting the visa process. You find a sale and just can't help yourself:)

I had heard the sydney consulate were much more relaxed although people had to wait hours for their interviews. My total time in the consulate was 40 mins max! They were wonderful and really nice. Just make sure you take more information and 'supporting evidecne' then you need. I think they can deny people their visa if they dont like the look of you (thats what i have heard) and there were a few sour faces walking out but they weren't disney applicants:)

I regret stressing so much over the entire visa process:)

5. Ren013

Ren013 New Member

Offers from Sydney interviews are out. There is absolutely nothing better than waking up at 7am to an offer of your dream job.

6. Yecats

Yecats New Member

Congratulations Ren! Its super exciting isnt it ;D

Im still waiting on my next steps email! Its been almost a month since I got offered a position and its killing me! haha

7. Ren013

Ren013 New Member

Thanks.

I don't even want to think about the details yet. I'm just enjoying the high from getting the email this morning.

8. bern1992

bern1992 New Member

OH MY GOD I'M IN!!!! I die!

A role I haven't seen anybody else with either, "Hospitality/Lobby Concierge Cast Member" so that's pretty cool. I really thought I wanted attractions but I have always wanted to work in a hotel, and this should involve dealing with less children. I am really chuffed!

9. Ren013

Ren013 New Member

I'm the same combo Bern. After all that talk in our presentations about how there are barely any hospitality positions available and our chances are better with something else I'd talked myself into wanting merchandise. Hospitality/Concierge sounds like so much fun.

Is there a facebook group for Aus/NZ 2013 yet?

10. bern1992

bern1992 New Member

Yeah I know, I'd also talked myself into Operations/Merchandise. BUT - we get paid more haha!

FB group - http://www.facebook.com/groups/433863806637537/

11. bern1992

bern1992 New Member

I know why I would've got the roles I got. My casual mention that I work in a bank had the recruiter really interested, for cash handling etc.

12. Ren013

Ren013 New Member

That makes sense. I told them I've got about 6 years cash handling experience, once you add up all the different retail jobs I've had. Guess we know what advice to give to people looking for hospitality roles next time around.

I'm pretty happy about the getting paid more part. More pay means more to spend on travelling.

13. Gloofty

Gloofty New Member

Congrats ;D
    Its all so exciting :D

14. Rafito.

Rafito. New Member

Wow, congrats you guys! Now since the Sydney siders have been placed I think that's everyone? We should be able to get out on-boarding emails soon then!

15. Yecats

Yecats New Member

I hope so!! I check my emails every single day

16. cammysan

cammysan New Member

congrats everyone and welcome to the family! I just joined your group so any questions ya'll have, feel free to send them my way and i'll try my hardest to answer them so that everyone understands!

Yes, most of us booked our flights before our visas were approved. mainly because, when you're working out your budget for how much you need, if there is a time when you can get cheap flights do it. Shop around for good flights too, i found mine at STA, they were able to work out a great deal for me, around the world, Melb - Auckland - LA, then NY - Abu Dabi - Melb, it's a flexi ticket, meaning that i can change my date up to three times.

don't forget that there's also the NZ candidates that Jeni/Javier have to interview too. and Camcam, aka the guy you'll be receiving emails from doesn't really answer your questions, or does, but in a round about kind of way. :D

17. cammysan

cammysan New Member

the other thing i forgot to mention. If you don't feel like hanging around the american embassy for hours, choose the earliest possible time slot, i think it's 8am in melbourne, get there about half an hour early, so you can be at the front of the line, go in, do you business and be the first to leave!

18. bern1992

bern1992 New Member

An issue us Januarians are going to have is that December/January is one of the most expensive times to travel anywhere. For most of the year, it's possible to fly SYD>LAX for about $1500 return. Currently, a Qantas SYD>LAX flight is ~$2300 one way! And they're that expensive all the way back to mid-way through December.

My question, how did you book a return flight already? Most airlines only allow you to book up to a year in advance?