Aus/NZ Questions: Role, Visas, Acceptance, Ages etc

Discussion in 'ICP Applicants Discussion' started by Becsta, Feb 1, 2014.

1. Becsta

Becsta New Member

Hiya All! I'm Bec, an Aussie planning to apply to do the ICP in 2015. Applications for the January 2015 intake aren't open yet so I'm trying not to go crazy waiting (My classes start back up tomorrow so that will keep me distracted hopefully!). I was hoping someone could answer some questions I have though. Ok, I have a lot of questions but if you can help with any answers I'd greatly appreciate it!

-I've noticed that costuming is an option on the list of ICP roles (on the Disney ICP website) but not on the Aus/NZ list. Does this mean Aus/NZ participants can't do costuming roles? I'm currently studying costume for performance and it's the area I want to pursue a career in so naturally costuming would be one of my top choices. I can't see why Aus/NZ ICP's wouldn't be allowed to do costuming but I haven't come across any who have done it yet so I thought I'd ask.

-Can ICP's apply to work in the Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique or Pirate's League (is that what it's called?). Once again, I haven't found any online evidence of ICP's in this role and I thought that it may be because it's very close to a Face Character Performer, although US CP's can do it so I don't really know.

-I'd heard that attractions comes under operations so in order to apply for attractions you have to apply for operations. The thing is, I don't want to apply for main gate/entrance etc, but I definitely want to apply to work in attractions. Is there a way to communicate this during the applications/interview process?

-How likely/unlikely is it that you would be rejected for the visa? I didn't think of it as an issue until I read a couple of horror stories (though they could be one of those Disney CP/ICP urban myths) about people being rejected for the visa and I'm curious if people have tips about this? There's no American Consulate in my state so I will have to fly to Melbourne to get my visa.

-I realise that asking about numbers of applicants and available positions is a bit like asking "how long is a piece of string," but in all the research I've done (and I've done a fair amount) I've only come across one AUS/NZ applicant who wasn't accepted for the program. Now of course this could be because those who don't get accepted are a lot less likely to have a presence on blogs, forums etc, but I'm very curious about my chances of being accepted. I'm actually studying for the second time around, I'm a qualified/experienced primary school teacher (I'm 30 years old btw) and decided a couple years back to change my career because I wasn't happy with being stuck in the classroom all the time. Would something like this help me or is it not really taken into account?

-I've heard of older CP's/ICP's but none from Aus/NZ. Are there any other 'older' Aus/NZ ICP's out there or do people know of them? I'm as immature as they come so I don't mind hanging out with people 10 or 20 years younger than me, but I'm still curious.

Ok, I'm out of questions for now, if you can answer any or all of these I'd appreciate hearing from you! Also, I'd love to hear from anyone else thinking of applying for 2015 (even though it's still a while away!)

2. Leashie11

Leashie11 New Member

Hi Bec!
    Congrats on starting classes! I'm sure the time will fly over!

I live in Wollongong NSW and been saving up and applying for the IP since leaving school in 2009!
    One thing or another has stopped me each year.
    Mostly money and not being an Australian citizen yet!
    I'm running a bit late with my classes this year, centrelink haven't been the most helpful bunch getting me started at tafe.
    Hopefully next week!

Have you decided on a role?
    I want to be in merch or concierge.

I've also wondered about ages. If I get accepted next year then ill be 22 turning 23 in March.
    But I'm sure like everyone else who's fun and immature will be friends despite their age. :D
    Life begins at 30. ;)

To get a visa you have to travel to Melbourne?! Thats kinda cool and lame.

Alicia :D

3. Becsta

Becsta New Member

Hi! :)

Oh I hope you get all your stuff sorted out so you can apply to do the program. I'm so glad I'm back studying again - it's definitely a good distraction!

I really want to do costuming as a role since that's what I'm studying but I'm also going to apply to do Attractions, Merchandise and character attendant.

I don't think you'll have anything to worry about with age, I've heard of lost of people doing it in their early/mid twenties. I'm happy to get along with anyone as long as they're nice, age doesn't bother me.

Good luck with everything and maybe we'll get to meet in Orlando!

4. Leashie11

Leashie11 New Member

Hi again!
    Thank you! I'm pretty much on track now! Just have to finish my tafe course.
    And started the looong citizenship process. Yay!

Studying really does make the time go a lot faster!
    I hope you get accepted and the job you want!
    Like, being in Disney world is great enough but to get the dream job while there, incredible.

I'm pretty much set on merch. I've even looked at all the stores to choose from.
    I'd give anything to work in the art of animation store in downtown disney. :p
    But I'll be happy just to be accepted. :)

Good luck!
    Hope to see you at the presentation! (if you go to Sydney.)
    If not the presentation, see you in Florida! :D :D

5. brookie473

brookie473 New Member

I have a lot of experience with the US consulate and the horror stories are true however there are so many people that get through that it is unlikely but be prepared for the worst.
    I know of people that the US consulate just didn't believe them even though they had no reason not to but then I know people who have gone through and had no trouble, didn't have the funds and the person didn't even look at anything they had and they got accepted. I think a lot of it is to do with how you hold yourself. Be very respectful and talk about the experience you'll be getting and *how you want to use it when you get home to australia*. If you can get character references and stuff along those lines that is always a great back up.
    Good luck!