Aussie in summer program Nov 2007

Discussion in 'Applicants Discussion' started by Mel_c, Jun 14, 2007.

1. Bryce

Bryce New Member

That sucks.
    Good luck!

2. Loz

Loz New Member

Yeah, I have my last exam the Friday before. At least it's good distraction..

3. Bryce

Bryce New Member

I thought you guys would have had them at the same time as us?!

Good luck! Study hard and try not to get too distracted.

Cya

4. porcelain779

porcelain779 New Member

Has anyone else bought themselves an advent calender to help with the countdown??? I bought 2 hehe coz I found a Disney Fairies one this week!!!!

please can I ask now, will someone help me NOT spend all my money on Disney Fairies stuff coz I'm likely to go nuts!

5. amberjayne

amberjayne New Member

Hey everyone..
    im Amber, 18 almost 19, from victoria
    and i also got a job as a character attendant at disneyworld this summer

and by the looks of it
    im pretty slow on the "discussion forum" uptake
    this thing would have been a massive help around visa time

anyway
    just thought id introduce myself to the Australian clan, as i will be seeing all your happy faces very VERY soon
    ;D :D ;D

6. Loz

Loz New Member

Hey Amber, welcome to the club! I'm hopefully going to be a character performer, so we might be working together!
    My name's Lauren, I'm 21 from north queensland.
    What flight are you on? The Disney one?

7. amberjayne

amberjayne New Member

im also on the disney flight
    i get into orlando at approx. 6.20 pm
    but i think all the people going on the disney flight get in at exactly the same time as they all catch the same connecting flight...

8. Bryce

Bryce New Member

What is the Disney flight? One organised by DK?
    I wish I didn't arrive at 9:00pm.

Has anybody else Google Earth'd Vista Way/Chatham Square? There's a big outlet mall right behind Chatham which is pretty cool. At least it looks really close... :-\
    Also the average temperatures for December are only 10-22 degrees, so I wouldn't only take light clothes.

I'm getting excited!!!

9. SistaAct

SistaAct New Member

Hey,

Has anyone started packing yet? I'm kind of dreading it - how much do you pack for 2-3 months? Plus we're all probably guaranteed to forget something important! Good luck everyone, see you all in about eleven days!

- Cass

10. amberjayne

amberjayne New Member

i started packing today, kinda
    cause i know next week i will be busy with something or other

and the sad/scary thing is
    i like packing
    lol
    i dont know why
    but i really like it

i shall pack for all of us
    lol

and when packing for 2-3 months
    just pack everything
    you cant go wrong!
    (or many you can when your case exceeds the luggage limit!!, on that note dont take my advice!)

happy packing!

amber :D

11. Bryce

Bryce New Member

I take it we have to do the Traditions training like everybody else?
    From what I've read on this site (not from anything official I've received) we have to wear "formal" clothes for Traditions... I hope a white shirt, black pants and black Rugged Sharks is okay! ;D

Don't forget to take one of those socket things so you can plug appliances into the sockets over there.

Also (even though I haven't even stepped foot in Disney yet) I've been scoping out Universal Studios and they have a year pass to both Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure for US$129, though December 23-January 1 are excluded. I think that's less than the cost of two days, so I'm definitley gonna get one of those.

Bryce

12. SistaAct

SistaAct New Member

Yeah, speaking of the electrical adapters, a friend told us that you need a voltage regulator as well because the US operates on 110V from the sockets, but Australia is 240V. Apparently whatever you plug in won't work because there's not enough volts from the socket to operate it. I'm not totally sure if this is correct, but it's what we've been told! If it is required, I'm sure you'd be able to get one over there.

- Cass

13. amberjayne

amberjayne New Member

wouldn't the plug adaptor things that you can get already do that

you would think so considering how dumb it would be to buy two adaptors just for it to work

14. Bryce

Bryce New Member

Hmm, I will try and find some info.
    I always thought that it was safe to take our stuff to America, but not the other way around as our high voltage kills things.

15. SistaAct

SistaAct New Member

Amber, as I understand it the adapter plugs are just because our plugs won't fit into their outlets - they have a round connecting bit at the bottom of the plug, we have a squarish one. So maybe we need the adapter plugs to plug in our electrical stuff, but the regulator to make sure they actually work? I hope I'm wrong coz it sounds more complicated than we need right now! It was a friend from SA that told us this though, coz she just came back from the US.

- Cass

16. porcelain779

porcelain779 New Member

My mum's been to USA quite a few times and hasnt said anything about it, but I shall check it out with her.

on another unrelated topic...can anyone tell me why my mouse house ticker doesnt work!!! It should say 8 days! And I only remade it last week coz it wasnt working either.

17. amberjayne

amberjayne New Member

dam technology

its just another thing to think about on top of the pile of other stuff

-amber :D

18. Bryce

Bryce New Member

I think I understand it!

We DEFINITELY need an adapter plug to plug-in anything over there (cost about $15).
    For most appliances (ie laptops, digital cameras) an adapter is all that is needed because they will run on anything from 100 volts to 250 volts (AU/NZ=240, US=110).
    However, apparently, some things (ie cheap or small appliances) might not run on only 110 volts, and therefore require a current converter instead of just an adapter.

I've checked the manuals for my laptop and digital camera and they are fine so hopefully the adapter is all I will need.

It won't do any harm to plug anything in over there to see whether it will run on 110 volts if you don't know. However, appliances bought in the US that aren't designed to run on 240 volts might blow up if you plug them in here!

Hope that was understandable! ;D

Bryce

19. SistaAct

SistaAct New Member

That sounds logical Bryce, good work. So everyone should be careful if buying anything electrical while in the US! I wonder if small appliances include recharging mobile phones.

- Cass

20. Loz

Loz New Member

Hey all, looks like I missed a lot of discussion in a few days. Must be nice to not have exams to distract you...
    Packing-wise, I wouldn't take too much. Like Bryce said, there's a massive mall behind where we live, so I plan to spend most of my money on clothes.
    As for flights, I'm on one from Dallas that gets in at 9.30pm, but I organisaed it through disney. Does that mean there are different ones? And did anyone else have slight issues with the travel agent? Whatever, I've got tickets now.
    Why do you need a laptop anyway? They have computers for us to use if we want I think.