Average Income for Cultural Rep.

Discussion in 'Accepted/Current CRP Participants' started by LuckyCharm, Nov 19, 2004.

1. uk_lad_Wiggum

uk_lad_Wiggum New Member

Believe me guys, Baruch is spot on. Being a server aint always the best position to be in!!

EVERYBODY who starts in F&B has to pay their dues and work their way up. In UK F&B, & in Canadian F&B as well, when you begin work, you will be training. And then in the UK, you will either be working on the podium, greeting guests, handing out menus, seating (showing guests to their tables & introducing them to their server), or bussing (clearing tables, wiping them and re-laying them with fresh cuttlery). If you are not on the podium, you will either be working on the beer cart, serving and pulling pints and soft drinks etc. (untipped of course), or you will be in MY personal hell hole, the chip shop! Serving greasy fish and chips thru a tiny lil' window for eight hours!! AAARRRGGHH, i hated it, but some people loved it, just depends on how ambitious you are!

There are ways to do extra stuff in your first three months on the podium. For example, why not ask to train as an allocator, assigning tables to groups and making sure that all the priority seating diners get their tables first etc. this is a very mind testing job and good if you like a bit of mental challenge. And believe me, an allocator can either become a servers best friend or worst enemy depending on how badly you throw tables at them when they are busy or how late you 'sit' them at the end of the night!

Generally though, you will be gaging to get your hands on all those crisp 20 & 50 dollar bills you see the servers walking out with, but everyone will get their chance at some stage. Usually the managers spot the keen ones right off the bat, and believe me, they do notice things, even if you think they don't.

But being on the podium and stuff (pre-service level) is such a good gig at times really, because your outta there and on the bus home at like 9.35pm!! whereas the servers dont generally tend to clock off untill at least 10.30pm at the EARLIEST, generally even 11.00pm at most nights. So take advantage of Mondays and get home, shower and start getting wasted before everyone else!! haha!!

2. gismo1554

gismo1554 New Member

Also just to let you know, there was a downturn in business this summer so we weren't making anywhere near how much some people have in previous years, and some days podium staff were making more money than us (one lunch time I had 2 tables - a 2 top and a 1 top - and that was it for the entire 4 hour shift). It all depends on luck of the draw and what you want out of it. As long as you are prepared to work hard for your money be a server. If you want an easier life then podium is it but its less money.