Becoming a server at rose and crown?

Discussion in 'Accepted/Current CRP Participants' started by DisneyMichelle, Dec 18, 2004.

1. DisneyMichelle

DisneyMichelle Active Member

Hey!

Have heard that before being able to become a server then you have to sit tests and i just wondred what this involves?

Is it to make sure you know the menu etc?

Michelle xx

2. Rudy

Rudy New Member

yeah you have to learn the menu off by heart and know what each meal contains etc, i was lucky - they forgot to test me!! ha ha

;D

3. SaraC

SaraC New Member

Wow i best get perfecting my memory skills then haha. that does sound interestin though! Lucky u rudy not getting tested!

xxx

4. gismo1554

gismo1554 New Member

When I did the test it wasn't too bad. Nowadays when you actually get taught about serving, you have lesson thingies they do teach you the type of things you'll be tested on. Its kind of annoying but it does actually help (you will always have someone that asks you what mushrooms are in the mushroom meadley). You don't go straight in to serving so you have loads of time to learn it, especially on those slow days on podium, and you food run before you serve which means you learn the menu then as you kinda need to know what sauce goes with what.

5. Rudy

Rudy New Member

portebello, button, shitake and cremini (sp?) was there another? can't remember

;D

6. gismo1554

gismo1554 New Member

Nope that's it. the four magic disney mushrooms!

See you never forget these things

7. DisneyMichelle

Thanks for the info guys!!!

Rudy - youre lucky that they forgot to test you!!! Like you say though - i guess you pick it all up as you go along with guests asking all sorts of questions!!!

Guess I better get in test mode soon then - i havent sat a test in so long - will be so strange!!!

Michelle xx

8. phillfo

phillfo New Member

Hey everyone...and Sarah - you "special girl" - gotta love you!!!

The tests are ok, and recently they leave the mgr door open and everyone will help you...in my year there i was the only person to fail - but i blame that on family problems ;)!

Anyway... since sarah left in sept, they've been desperate for servers and one guy who came in sept was put through into service just after 4 weeks.... if you get assigner training early on it's better...though do you really want to be in service for 11 months...i know i wouldn't!! (and my group was screwed over and we didn't go in till after 9 months!! Oh well - it's the best year ever!!

All the best :D

9. gismo1554

gismo1554 New Member

How dare you call me special I prefer to be referred to as 'gifted' ;D

Christ, 4 weeks is a bit mad. D'you even know your table numbers by then? Mind you I think Wiggam was put through after about 2 months. I agree that your group was screwed over, as was Simms' who took around 9 months to get in too. It really wasn't a fair system.

10. DisneyMichelle

There doesnt seem to be much logic in who gets to serve - i guess its just when they need the people!

Theres a huge difference between getting there afetr two omnths and nine!! Guess its just the luck of when you arrive i suppose!

Just another query - how many people work in Uk food and bev and do you have to choose between being a server or bartender or do you get told which one you are??

11. gismo1554

gismo1554 New Member

F+B has alot of people. Bar Tenders tend to be chosen when needed but if you tell your manager that thats where you'd be interested in going to then you have a higher chance of getting there. You do however have to do the bar test which is harder than the servers test as you have to know a whole range of cocktails

12. DisneyMichelle

Thanks for all the info!!!

Think being a bartender would be cool although Im quite short and might ont be able to see over the bar ;) :D

13. SaraC

SaraC New Member

haha michelle u'd b fine, ur not that short. i'd like to do the bartending as well, would b fun. although i'd have to steer clear of drinkin the product while working ;) haha

xxx

14. DisneyMichelle

What are the rules for serving alcohol in the US?

I know you cant drink it until youre 21 but can you serve it at a bar before then or do the bartenders have to be over 21? Im over 21 so its not an issue for me but I just wondered!

15. SaraC

SaraC New Member

I expect it will be 21, well as long as its after july 10th if it is 21 i wouldn't have a problem with drinking or serving haha

xxx

16. gismo1554

gismo1554 New Member

You can serve alchol as long as you are 18 + (weird rules I know)

17. DisneyMichelle

Thanks! That is quite a weird rule!!