Canada 2014

Discussion in 'Applicants Discussion' started by DisneySparkles, Mar 8, 2013.

1. DisneySparkles

DisneySparkles New Member

Thought I'd start a new thread for the Canada 2014 applicants.

Hey! I'm Mariah. I applied for the ICP and didn't get in, so I'm going to give the CRP a try!

I also have a question for any one who's applied/done the program before: Do you have to be enrolled in a post secondary institution to apply?

2. CanadianCole

CanadianCole New Member

Hi Mariah!

I've applied for CRP 2013, and I'm currently on the Opportunity List (aka Wait List) until September 2013. I applied in October, had my phone interview in November and went to the Face-to-Face in Montreal last month.

To apply for CRP you do not need to be in a post-secondary institution. There are a few people who have come straight out of high school to spend the year down south. You just need to be able to spend an entire year working in Florida, unlike the ICP where it's only a few months in the summer. Have you graduated yet?

3. DisneySparkles

Yup! I actually made it to the F2F for ICP. I was in my first year of uni, but I left and I'm reapplying to another school to pursue a different program.

4. CanadianCole

CanadianCole New Member

Hmm...well if you're reapplying to another school, I'd suggest finishing uni before applying for CRP. I finished college before applying for it just because I didn't want to have my chances blocked by school. Besides, if you're at school you could try ICP again! Just my suggestion. ;)

5. DisneySparkles

Well, I'm willing to miss school for the program. My dad is okay with it, too. But thanks for the advice! I'll definitely think about it.

6. Carey

Carey New Member

Keep in mind, depending on your start date on the CRP, you could end up missing more than just one year of school. (Ex. Feb 2014-Feb 2015 you would miss 3 semesters) And.. will you actually want to go back to school after doing a full year at Disney and becoming over a year behind those you started school with? I know I wouldn't.
    Just something to think about.

If I was in your shoes, I would apply for ICP again next year until I finish college, then I would go for the CRP.

I am currently on the Opportunity List until September. I waited until I was finishing college to apply (I finish in June) and I am glad I chose to wait until I was done school.

Whichever you choose, Good luck!!

7. DisneySparkles

I'm already a year behind. It really wouldn't bother me. I'm in a bit of special circumstance, you could say. I spent a year at a school I picked entirely because people told me I would like it in a program that I didn't care for because my mom got sick when I was a teenager so I was never given time to think about what I wanted for my future. Now that my mom passed away and I've spent time away from home I know I want to be a travel agent. Missing a lot of school wouldn't bother me because (a) I've already dropped out of my first year and (b) It's incredibly relevant to what I want to do with my life.

8. Carey

Carey New Member

I'm graduating with a diploma in Global Tourism in June! So I, of course, applaud your career choice.

9. DisneySparkles

Oh wow, that's awesome! Where do you go to school?

10. Carey

Carey New Member

Medicine Hat College

11. DisneySparkles

Oh okay, you're on the other side of the country then. I never heard of that degree but it sounds awesome! :)

12. Carey

Carey New Member

Well that depends on where you are? haha, but yes, in Alberta. I will end up with a diploma in Global Tourism and Marketing. It is an endorsed program by CITC. It's a good program, i've really enjoyed it!

Which school are you going to/want to go to?

13. DisneySparkles

I'm from New Brunswick. I went to Mount Allison and next year I'm thinking of going to the monumentally small Crandall University (formally Atlantic Baptist University). So yeah, way on the other end :p

14. VeganPup

VeganPup New Member

I am from New Brunswick as well ... and acutally my brother is a student at MtA and I have a friend who for a short time years ago went to Crandall (he now goes to nbcc). I didn't expect another applicant to be New Brunswick.

15. VeganPup

VeganPup New Member

I should also add that I applied back in 2009 and was put on the opportunity list and never got a call. I ended up going to school and doing Katimavik (if anyone knows what that was before the budget for it was cut by Harper). I am reapplying now after graduating from college with an events management diploma and I plan on getting a BA in English after doing the CRP (hopefully) and the one day I want to work for Disney English.

I am 22 so I not feeling a rush to go back to school this instant after already having my diploma.

I just got excited when I saw someone from New Brunswick and forgot to introduce myself.

16. DisneySparkles

Nice to meet you! I've actually made a change to this plan recently. I plan on attending Eastern College in Moncton now do to a Hospitality and Tourism degree. They actually told me at Eastern that they'd rather me do a year long program, so everything works out in the long run! :D

17. VeganPup

VeganPup New Member

That does work out nicely

18. missalice

missalice New Member

Hey guys! Thought I'd post in this thread because I totally missed this forum! XD

I'm applying for the 2014 CRP~ I'm Taylor, and I'm from Ontario! Just graduated from St Clair College with a diploma in Travel and Tourism! This would be my 3rd program - I've done the other two that are offered to us Canadians, and worked in Magic Kingdom both times! I almost got to work in Epcot for the Food and Wine Festival and did training and all that, but switched roles before I got any shifts. I do have the hat though! :p

Anyways, super excited about this! :D I might start a FB group for us at some point if there's enough of us applying!

19. VeganPup

VeganPup New Member

I almost went to St. Clair so we could have been classmates ... and I definitely think a Facebook group would be a good idea since this forum has died down. The Food and Wine Festival would have been amazing to work. I hopefully will get to meet you down at EPCOT.

20. DisneySparkles

I still need to work on my application, but it's great to meet you all :)