Canada Interviews

Discussion in 'Applicants Discussion' started by vickig80, Mar 8, 2010.

1. amyanne

amyanne New Member

Weird. I know a lot of people have been self-terming lately and the arrival groups haven't been very big
    so maybe that has something to do with it.

2. Heyy guys!!! I got the call Friday too and I'm starting February 2011 F&B :D Can't wait to meet all of you!!!

3. dinotorrid

dinotorrid Guest

Yes, I am from Vancouver!! Or Richmond, anyway! Maybe we can get a group of us Vancouver people together and either meet up before we go, or meet up at Orlando airport??

4. helveticarock

helveticarock New Member

hey y'all! i applied for this summer and i FINALLY got my call, but instead of going from now-jan (which was extended) i'm going in april so i guess i will be with the new batch of people applying right now?!

5. dspringa

dspringa Member

congrats!

6. dspringa

dspringa Member

why are people self-terming?

7. nladams

nladams New Member

I'd love to know too...

8. nladams

nladams New Member

I got an email from Kristen today!! No word as of yet on whether or not I've been selected for f2f interviews but just to let me know they will be taking place in October in Toronto ;D ...looks like it will be for positions starting Jan-July 2011...Should be hearing in 3-4 weeks whether or not I made the cut...fingers crossed!!!!

9. amyanne

amyanne New Member

People self-term for various reasons. They miss home/family/boyfriends/girlfriends, they
    get other offers (a few people have gotten amazing school/work offers while down here)
    or they realize the job just isn't for them. Everyone has days where they consider self-terming,
    the main thing to remember is that you are here working and socializing, and its an amazing place to be,
    but not every day is rainbows and butterflys.

10. nladams

nladams New Member

awww that's too bad... I think that some people go into this with unrealistic expectations too. I mean I know it's Disney and it's going to be a lot of fun but it is also work...and they sure work you hard. There is a good chance too that your going to be put in a position that you wont really like too...for me it would be working merchandise. But I know i've got a 1 in 3 chance of working merch but If I do I know i'll just to make the best of it!

11. dspringa

dspringa Member

Ohhh okay yeah, that makes a littler more sens then. In temrs of getting amazing work opportunities, do you mean while they're down there? They are hired somewhere else within the US? I'm hoping having a working visa while I'm down there will help open other doors for me too...

12. Lesley86

Lesley86 New Member

sorry but the visa you get while working at disney is a Q1 exchange visa and it only lets you work for disney for a set amount of time. if you wanted to work elsewhere in the USA they would have to apply for a visa on your behalf and you would have to be accepted for this new visa etc you wont be able to work anywhere else while at disney on the visa they provide

13. amyanne

amyanne New Member

Like Jackson said, you can only work for Disney on the Q1, these opportunities I speak of are things from back home or whatever.

14. jslussier

jslussier New Member

There is probably less inscription at this session, the interview for fall will be only in Toronto... When I apply 2 years ago, there was Toronto adn Montreal for the falls interview and Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver for the spring's one. Maybe that's the reason why the wailisted people get a lot of call for february

15. dspringa

dspringa Member

Yeah I know but I mean what if I applied for a job while on the Q1 visa and then if I got the job, I'd have to get them to sponsor a new visa for me once my Disney contract is over. Anyone gone on to do that? Taken a position post-Disney on a new, sponsored work visa?

16. Lesley86

Lesley86 New Member

yeah that could happen but the chances of that are the same as if you applied for jobs whilst you were at home in canada, just being in florida isnt really going to boost your chances of employment else where in the USA i wouldnt think, be great if it did, id be applying for loads of american jobs if that was the case!! :D

17. ChipNDale

ChipNDale New Member

This will be my second contract. People self term themselves coz they think it is all fun while you r there, which it is, but you have to remember that u are there to work too. There are rules to be followed. Yes you will get homesick and you will miss your friends, but you make new ones who will help you thru when you are down in the dumps. Just follow the rules and you will have a blast. I had a cast member who started with me and comes to orlando to disney every yr, but self termed the first week as she cudnt take the heat. it is diff when u vacation and when u r there to work. The managers there in the Canadian pavilion are great and if u need time off or having a bad day they will let you help u. Also please remember, drinking age in the US is 21 so never get caught drinking if u r under 21 as they send you home right away.

PS: who all have the feb 15 2011 start date?

18. kate003

kate003 New Member

People self term for tons of reasons, when i was down some didn't even show up for their first days, on girl left 3 days in because she missed her boyfriend, a couple left for school in canada and a few left for jobs in canada. the only people i know who have gotten jobs in the states after the program are those who got engaged or married while down there to an american, and even that takes time after the wedding (note: they were all actually dating and in love). A lot of people get termed for drinking underage, but also for hopping fences and getting caught in the other housing complex after 1. Just think before you do things and it'll be fine. A lot of people were underage and way more drunk all the time then people of age and they all finished their programs fine. It'll be the best year of your life, jump into it full force :)

19. nladams

nladams New Member

by the sounds of it there are less candidates this time around.... being that the fall interviews are only in T.O. and not Montreal do you think that those attending the F2F in the fall have a better chance?

Obviously they are only going to those candidates who are qualified...but do you think those heading to T.O October 2/3 have a better shot of getting in?

Just curious... i'll be attending the October 2nd interviews...hope to see you all there!!

20. Rin

Rin New Member

I really hope you're correct, nladams! I think Feb is the best time to be hired for because of the lack of holidays (and therefore tourists) and nice tempertures. And if there is a better chance of being hired in the Oct interviews then everything is working out perfectly! Now all I have to worry about is the interviews themselves! Eep!

Hope to see you there, too!