car rental

Discussion in 'Shopping Discussion and Buy/Sell/Trade' started by citywalk, Mar 27, 2008.

1. citywalk

citywalk New Member

Theres a lot on here about buying cars. Personally at the minute i cant see me having the cash. Plus i like the idea of driving a new car everytime i rent.

I mean i think i would only need a car on days off.

So how much does it cost to rent? Including the insurance

2. Mom-eh

Mom-eh Member

I don't know how to do the quote option on here but Under Alumni Discussion - Canadians Driving Down - John posted that a car rental was $26.00 a day / $130.00 per week at Thrifty. Not sure if that includes the insurance.

3. Dancing_Queen

Dancing_Queen New Member

I'm pretty sure that this is the basic rate and then insurance comes on top of it. It depends if you want full coverage or not. It could go up to $70/day...I would always take the full coverage, just to be sure. You can rent a car with your friends and share the cost, I've done that a couple of times. There are a few companies that will give you discount for being a cast member, just check it once you are there.

Julia

4. MickeyMouse

MickeyMouse New Member

By the way, a lot of people think that you can only rent a car with a real credit card. That is not true. Some rental car services have no problem taking a debit card as long as it has a visa or mastercard logo on it. See below.

Summary:
    Almost every major rental car agency WILL allow you to reserve a car using a debit card. Most, however, will place a “hold†on your debit card in the amount of the full rental price plus, in some cases, a pretty healthy deposit percentage. Some rental agencies do not accept debit cards for reservation or have very strict policies. As for PAYMENT, however, almost ALL of the companies WILL accept a debit card as a method of payment when you RETURN the automobile. So, for now, perhaps the best way to rent a car is to either:
    A) Reserve the car with a company that allows you to use a debit card. If you do this, be sure that you have sufficient money in the bank to cover the entire rental fee and a rental ‘hold’ that the rental agency will no doubt place on your card.
    B) RESERVE the car using your credit card and PAY for the car rental using cash or your debit card.

Again, before you use one of the above mentioned rental agencies, please research their current policies. Also, while I was compiling this information, I did not take into account ANY insurance-related policies. Please do your own research before you rent a car.

Hope this cleared up some confusion! ;)

5. samuel191

samuel191 New Member

I went to rent a car with a Visa debit card, and the guy at Budget kicked up a real fuss saying the system only accepted credit cards, so I asked him to try it any way, and low and behold it worked ;D Also I'm not sure if I'm right on this but I think if your under 25 you get charged more to rent, at least I' sure thats what I was told.