Cast Member Apple Discount

Discussion in 'Accepted/Current ICP Participants' started by KirstyB, Jan 27, 2010.

1. KirstyB

KirstyB New Member

Hey I've read on a few forums that cast members get an apple discount...

is that true? and does anyone know what it is please? :)

Thanks!

2. disneydj

disneydj New Member

And on that note - if there is one and I buy a Macbook while i'm in America, can i pass it off as my own through customs and therefore not pay taxes on it?? (i.e. throw the box away!?)

I get a pretty good Apple discount at Uni, but if we have a Disney discount on TOP of the insanely good prices of Apple US products, we'd be laughing all the way round Splash Mountain.

3. gldc

gldc New Member

BUMP. Anyone done this before?

4. slightlymazmad

slightlymazmad New Member

Back in 2006 when I did the program it was only about a 5% discount. Which isnt brilliant but its still money off. You could try posting a topic on the crp board about discounts, they might have a better idea.

You could, but they can check serial numbers and stuff, and check when you bought it. Which sucks, but it all depends if they stop you or not. You might get lucky or get caught.

5. tinkithink

tinkithink New Member

If you buy the computer and USE it while in America, you won't get stopped at Customs. You shouldn't, anyways.

6. KingDavid

KingDavid New Member

Just buy it here before you go and get the Higher Education Discount (up to 16% depending on which Uni you attend / attended).
    You have to phone Apple in Dublin to get an HE quote though.

7. disneydj

disneydj New Member

KingDavid - if you go onto Apples US website, and look at the prices, then convert that to pounds at the current exchange rate, you will see that buying it in the UK (even with HE discount) - is nowhere near as cheap as buying in the US!

8. TJCI

TJCI New Member

I used to go to school in the states and had to deal with US taxes. If my memory serves me right if you buy something in the US and have it for over 6 months before you go home you don't have to declare it and pay duty. I am not 100% sure but fairly confident about it.

9. KingDavid

KingDavid New Member

Actually disneydj, there's very little in it.
    I'm basing these figures on the standard white MacBook and today's exchange rate of $1.47:£1 (from Marks & Spencer).

USA - $999 + 6% Sales Tax = $1,059 (£720)
    UK - £899 - 16% (£756)

The advantage of buying in the UK is that you won't have to stress about customs, or carrying it home. You can keep the box (increases resale value greatly, especially with Apple products)

Two MASSIVE points about buying in the UK via the Higher Education programme;
    1. The standard warranty is increased from 1 to 3yrs (not a commonly known fact as Apple would rather sell you the AppleCare)
    2. You can purchase the AppleCare Protection Plan for a stupidly cheap £49 instead of the usual £199.

Yes the laptop will be £36 cheaper buying in USA, however buying in the UK gives you peace of mind, the correct 3 pin plug on the MagSafe power adaptor plus the £150 saving on the AppleCare is worth it's weight in gold should anything go wrong.

Horses for courses, but I'll keep buying my Apple gear here through the HE programme, even if I get selected for the CRP.

10. gldc

gldc New Member

However assuming customs don't say anything and don't notice, it is a saving of £180 which is a 20% saving. That £180 could be used to buy a power adapter. There's always the chance of immigration noticing though...

11. KingDavid

KingDavid New Member

How did you get £180 from that?
    It's £36, look at the figures in brackets then read what I've written about the extended warranty and huge saving on the AppleCare.

12. Laura Jane

Laura Jane New Member

Think it was 10% last year.. Bought two ipod touches and saved over £100 anyhoo!