CAUTION! Very Important! Must Read Now!

Discussion in 'Applicants Discussion' started by Jules, Feb 2, 2006.

1. tiggercharlotte

tiggercharlotte New Member

Ok, they're merged. Sorry I didn't realise that there were still 2 on the go- I missed the accepted board thread! Hope its not too confusing with the slightly different threads!
    Charlotte x

2. shannybanany

shannybanany New Member

Did you not expect anyone on here to defend ourselves??? You started out basically saying that all we say is crap! The things that the alumni write are valid comments as well. You even said you were expecting posts back, so here they are...suck it up princess!

That said...now...

Welcome to the College Program!!!!!! You are hired to WORK!!! I don't get what people don't understand about that concept. You are hired during the busy times in the park to help relieve staffing issues, not so you can have days off with your friends. You are there to help take some of the stress off of the full-timers who do it all year round. I don't think any of the alumni on here have hid the fact that more often than not the job sucks and that it is the stuff outside of work that makes it all worthwhile. You don't get a lot of that on the college program. You get to put Disney on your resume and that's the tradeoff. It looks a little better than McD's burger flipper (sorry Brandy) as a summer job.

I know people who have done both the IP and the College Program and hated the college program. It's a lot more intense. The year program gives you a lot more time to enjoy Florida. I also know complete Disney-ites that HATED the College Program. No, it's not for everyone. It's only for those who are prepared to do what they were hired for...keyword being HIRED...yes, it may be only for pennies, but why does Disney have to pay more?? There are people beating each other up to get these spots, they don't have to pay more to attract more people. I don't know what perks you get on the CP, if any, but when you look at the big picture, Disney does treat employees pretty well with the perks...discounts, passes and the benefit package alone are a lot more than you would get at higher paying gigs. Why else would there be people who have no need to work putting in hours just for the benefits?

Having to leave the country in 24 hours after terminating isn't Disney's problem...the US Gov't are the idiots to talk to about that one...but realistically, you are on a WORK Visa and you aren't working, so yes, get out. And as for all the other crap, roommates and buses suck everywhere. If you hated Disney World, then why did you go in the first place? The rent is AMAZING for all you get in the middle of it all in Orlando. People pay $100 a night to stay in our area and if they rented out our apartments to tourists, they'd get a heck of a lot more than that!! Yes, it looks like a lot when you add all the roommates rent together, but I still think it's a pretty good deal considering my bf is paying $900 a month for one completely bare unfurnished room in downtown Toronto.

I do give you credit for leaving because I've always said if you don't like it leave, don't drag down everyone around you.

Ah, this is just pissing me off, so I'm done. Don't start something and then leave when you don't like how it's going!

Shan

3. PrincessJilly

PrincessJilly New Member

pmsl @ suck it up princess.....

u go girl ;D

4. adjonline

adjonline New Member

I think I'm confusing dc on irc and dc.com. I just registered at dc.com... And you do seem to have, erm, a few, posts!

5. Colin

Colin Member

Which IRC server is #dc on now?

Colin

6. I TOLD You I love it!!! Join! everyone! disneycetral.com :D
    I'm there right now! hahaha

7. low

low New Member

hi what the girl at the start of this said was true in some ways i worked out there over the summer and it was alot of hard work i got moved round three flat (for odd reason including the fact that they thought i was i guy and my first flat was with 5 scottish boys) but its also a lot of fun. if you think right i have to work but that mean i can go house riding on helicopters (soz bout the speeling ) to universal and so much more you can see why it good. my whole trip there got better as time went by i hated to start with and loved it in the end
    you really do just have to take the good with the bad and try not to let the bad things get u down to much

:)

8. adjonline

adjonline New Member

There were a few people who for some wierd reasons, the Price Management people couldn't determine the gender of correctly!

9. low

low New Member

lol it was quite cool them think i was a guy and the five guys that i had been put with were really cool would have been more then happy to stay there but rule are rules only problem was the boy room mate but got an great with cassy so i really dont thnk it would have been that much of a big deal
    lol

10. *Linzi*

*Linzi* New Member

Hey. Just wanted to say that I read your whole post and I am sorry that you hated the experience. I think it is unfair that people are tearing into you for it as it just wans't for you. I hope I have a better summer than this but I just wouldn't want to look back when I am older and wonder if I would have liked my summer working for WDW. It is the case that you are never going to know unless you expericence it for yourself and at the end of the day while we are at work we are there to make the experience memorable for the guests not just to have a fun day at work. That is made pretty clear at the interview.
    Linzi

11. Sabrina1981

Sabrina1981 New Member

I read now through the whole 5 pages and have to say that I belive everyone should be entiteld to his/her own opinion. Just like i really hope that I have a year in florida that is better than your month. But I also shake my head about people who havent even arrived and think they have to tell the author she is wrong for feeling like that.
    I belive everyone should try to get a realistic idea of the year or the summer at disney. It wont be all fun and I am sure especially in the busy days there will be a few people who rather quit than hang in it. I pretty much think that work will be somehow like at my job right now. headwaiter or managers getting pissed as soon as something doesnt go their way and if everything is great they most likely take the props for them. I guess thats pretty much the worst it could be and i am pretty sure at many other jobs in this world it wont be any different. But i still think that it could be just great.
    I am also worried about getting together with a roommate who cant stand me or people not likeing me cause i am not much of a party animal and surely cant party every night ( to old for that ;) ) but they have hundrests of people living in the commons and i really hope that i am not that much of a bad person and at least one or two will like me.

I like this board cause of the people who are disney enthusiastics cause they make me smile when i have second thoughts but I also like the board of people who share their not so pleasant experience with us cause they allow me to see the other side of the job and stoped me from running in the thing with a total wrong idea.

12. Neopaul

Neopaul New Member

I also have my experience in Disney. I don't want to say it all, but I know what you are saying Jules. My experience is very terrific.

13. ian_d_g

ian_d_g New Member

I am sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy your experience but I do not want this to put anyone off. Walt Disney World is the number 1 vacation destination in the world and to get the opportunity to work there is a once in a lifetime opportunity for a lot of people. I ended up doing 3 programs and ok parts of the program are difficult but it is a life changing opportunity. No matter what, the friendships you will make at work and within the complex can open a world of future opportunities. Ok the program may not be for everyone, but if you do feel this way (which I hope you don't), then it is better to regret trying than to spend your life wondering what if.

14. shinjirod

shinjirod New Member

Come do my current job. That'll show you what a terrorific job is.

15. 2005CP

2005CP New Member

here here, totally agree-meaning no offence to the original poster but looks like he was determined not to like it-people, its not a picnic, and nor should it be-Disney is at the end of the day, your employer, not your mummy. There is only so much any emplyer can and willdo to help you-part of the experience is learning to cope and be independent.

That said, they arent promising you a penthouse apartment-go with the image of student accomodation being provided and you wont be shocked.

99 percent of you will make great friends and learn to use and abuse the disney company so much that you wont care if they are friendly to you or not (my place of work isnt especially `friendly` to me, but its work, so i dont expect to be greeted every day with a basket of muffins and a bottle of wine!

16. 2005CP

2005CP New Member

And ive just read the original posters profiel-your australian yes? Australians are on a seperate programme to that which most will be on-the CRP have far better accomodation and, frankly, jobs. I did a programme similar to what is on offer to people from Oz-the CRP is not so much of a `skivvy` job, and the reason is that the CRP puts you in a place of permanent high profile and footfall)with high earning potential) , where the australian and college programmes can put you anywhere-including back stage menial positions.

17. Sofi

Sofi Guest

WOW i wish i had seen this before i came. haha theres so many of those things i agree with and this topic is 4 years old :eek: its like nothings changed!

18. Lesley86

Lesley86 New Member

you had a crappy program, fair enough but your complaining about things that you SHOULD have made yourself aware of before you accepted a job at Disney

Yes, the pay is low, however you would have been informed about this BEFORE you took the job so im sorry, but you havent go a leg to stand on (if noone told you about the pay then you should have asked someone)

the room mate situation isnt a fault of disney, its something that inevitably will happen on any program where you are having to share a room (altho with your clearly bad attitude you may not have done much to remedy this situation....)

the costs involved in getting there etc - YOU KNEW ABOUT THESE BEFORE YOU LEFT TO GO TO FLORIDA! Stop complaining - if you didnt agree with it,why pay it it the first place!

days off - erm,what were you expecting? YOU ARE THERE TO WORK! its not a holiday,of course you dont get many days off!

taking 2 hours to get to work....... while i think this is a slightly over exaggerated statement it is true that transport can be slow,but its no different to someone having to commute to work in a large city (have you ever been to london and tried to get in to the city centre on the tube at 8am.............?) the whole disney complex is larger than the island of Manhattan - so yes, it does take time to get from A - B

you claim to "hate" the disney parks - so WHY THE F DID YOU EVEN GO TO WORK THERE?!

yes,if you self terminate you no longer are a disney employee and yes that means you have to get out of the country within 24 hours - again,this is something you would have known about before you left for the program and something you would have been told when you decided to self term. so cry me a river.

stop putting a downer on everyone else who wants to work at disney just because you have a bad attitude and clearly went over there with the intention of hating it.

Oh and by the way, im not some so called "disney lover" either, i just think you had a very childish and immature attitude and threw your toys out of the pram when things didnt match up to your ridiculous ideals.

and you only stayed for A MONTH..... 4 little weeks...........

you wasted what could have been a great experience but clearly the whole thing was wasted on you anyway..............

19. roxysurfroxy

roxysurfroxy Member

Hello!

There's only really one bit that worried me slightly...

So I was wondering if current/past CR's could answer this - Is the rent pretty expensive in comparison to wage? I know the wage varies by which job role you undertake but I was just wondering if there was a cash flow struggle? Or whether this was the reason for saving up beforehand? Thanks

20. Lesley86

Lesley86 New Member

The rent you pay each week is deducted from your pay before you recieve it and you will always have worked enough hours to earn enough to cover rent (disney arnt stupid,its designed that way so that housing you they will always get their money!) however this can only be true if you work all sceduled hours - obviously if you take sick days etc you weekly pay will be less than normal so you may not have enough to cover rent if this was to happen. Rent varies by size of apartment but expect to pay a
    between $80 - $ 100 a week. Basic disney wage for non tipped positions will cover your rent but you may only be left with $50 or less, if your not going to be in a tipped position it would be best to have some savings with you if possible.