CAUTION! Very Important! Must Read Now!

Discussion in 'Applicants Discussion' started by Jules, Feb 2, 2006.

1. roxysurfroxy

roxysurfroxy Member

Thanks for that info - very helpful! :D I did have a small preference for the un-tipped role but I'm actually starting to think I would be better off in the tipped position. I guess that's because I've only just remembered that tipping is the norm in the US and is rarely in action in the UK...

2. Lesley86

Lesley86 New Member

I would always encourage people to try to get into a tipped role,as a server at the rose & crown it wasnt unusual to take home $200 a night in tips if you worked an all day "mid" shift,obviously not every time as it depends on what guests you get etc but theres a lot of money to be made.

3. roxysurfroxy

roxysurfroxy Member

Wow - that's pretty impressive! I've just got to cross my fingers and toes now and hope I get an interview! :D

4. leeds disney fan

leeds disney fan New Member

thats impressive, i was wondering if you keep the tip yourself or as is the case with some places it goes in to a 'fund' which is split between everyone

5. 2005CP

2005CP New Member

you keep your tips yourself (they are taxed though)but you are expected to tip out the bar and the food runners.(for the food runners, you are expected to give them $5 if you are on an AM shif, $10-15 if you are on a PM shift and 15+ if you are on a mid(all day) shift. the bar is something like that-i always gave them 10 if i was on a PM, and 20 if i was a mid........provided id sold much alcohol.(i rarely got an AM sadlyh so i cant remember what i tipped on those shifts ;D

you will soon start to hate your fellow brits when you go into service(And you wll also start to call them scuzz) because we are by far the tightest, rudest, most ungrateful diners the world can produce-20% is the expected tip in America and no self respecting american wouldnt leave 20% unless they had very good reason-most british tables will leave you 10% IF they are feeling generous-if they dont know the local customs they shouldnt go on holiday!

you will also hate them because not only are they cheap, but they have flown 2000 miles, to a part of the world with some of the finest and affoarable restaurants there are, and what do they do? Go to the Rose and Crown to get chips, god give me strength, its been 18 months and it still annoys me!

6. Lesley86

Lesley86 New Member

SCUZZ! bane of my life! jes*s f'ing ch*ist,oh my GOD! as soon as you hear a UK accent your face just drops,i never even used to bother spieling to UK tables or anything and like 99% DONT TIP! what a joke. URGH!

7. DisneyGibbs

DisneyGibbs Active Member

The worst kind of party is a UK scuzz party of 5.

One more person and you could have grat'd them dammit!

8. 2005CP

2005CP New Member

yes it is!

9. 2005CP

2005CP New Member

i always made the point of runningaround the restaurant so that id be finalising their check at the POS that they have to walk past to leave the restaurant, that way they would see me open their check with no money in it, and i could give them a sickly, insincere, killing them with kindness "have a nice day"-so good to embarrass cheap scuzz without actualy breaking the rules and opening the check book directly in front of them and shouting "oi, have we forgot something!"

10. 2005CP

2005CP New Member

comparatively speaking the rent is peanuts-you are in a tourist hotspot where land is at a premium for hotels, villas etc-and you are paying something like 90 dollars a week-people would kill for a deal like that when you take into account the size of the complexes and the location. good deal i say