Characters

Discussion in 'ICP Applicants Discussion' started by *PennyCrayon*, Sep 11, 2008.

1. leomgray

leomgray New Member

I do not mind whether i was given character, character attentdant, attractions or merchandise. But i would prefer either of the first three.

2. cowza

cowza New Member

Well that's fair enough... put them in some kind of order but don't expect to necessarily get choice number one. Leave it to fate if you really don't mind which of them you would like to do ;)

3. Freckles

Freckles Guest

the problem i have is that i have worked threeyears at mcdonalds, and i really really dont want to do F/B. I've done that, now i want to do something closer to my future career and degree (which is drama. Will they be more likely to take note of my previous emplyment or my degree?

4. *PennyCrayon*

*PennyCrayon* New Member

I agree Freckles although I wouldn't necessarily mind working merch the fact that I work in a shop at the weekends makes me want to do something completely different to my normal life

5. cowza

cowza New Member

Well if you don't tick food and beverage on your form they can't really give it to you haha. If for any chance your interviewer asks you if you would consider doing it, just be honest and say it's something you did in the past and want to move away from.

If you did drama there are a few rides you could consider. Great Movie Ride & the Kilimanjaro Safari the most obvious. If there is somewhere specific you would like to work tell them at your interview because they do have the power to put you there if there are open positions.

6. *PennyCrayon*

*PennyCrayon* New Member

Do u get offered a place at the f2f or do u have to wait to hear?

7. cowza

cowza New Member

You have to wait to hear but it is your interviewer who decides where to place you. Yummy Jobs will be the ones you hear from about what position you have been offered.

8. Freckles

Freckles Guest

ah ok, im worried even if i dont tick it they will put me there.

im in the middle of my degree so working on a ride would be great. i would lvoe to work on the great movie ride or something like that. does anyone know what happens on junglecruise....are there videos on youtube of it that i can look at?(you tube wont upload atm on my laptop...its doing updates :( )

9. cowza

cowza New Member

I'm sure Louisa will tell you all about jungle cruise because she worked on that! It looks like a lot of fun! I suspect there might be youtube videos.

It's like a comedic jungle trek on a boat (no actual real animals). You have to learn a script but you can throw in your own bits and pieces too.

10. Freckles

Freckles Guest

awesome...i did a tour in improv for my final grade last year so that sounds like a lot of fun to me!

i'll try and nab her on msn!

11. ginabella

ginabella New Member

If you wanted to be a character performer, would you have to put that as your first choice?!
    Is it possible to audition for the parades whilst you're there in Florida?! aaaaaand if the opportunity of being say a 'princess' or a 'face character' came about would you have to be a character performer to be included in the auditions or can anyone try out?!
    :)

12. cowza

cowza New Member

Yeh it would have to be your first choice. Unfortunately trying to transfer roles is extremely difficult (as I learned myself). I thought that was very unfair. I couldn't even put down the character role because my interviewer told me she hadn't been given any of the roles to allocate. I was annoyed because I wanted to do something in entertainment for it be more relevant for my future career. I tried very hard switching from merchandise but they only let you switch roles in extreme circumstances... usually medical reasons.

The only way of being a face character is if you are hired as a character performer and the people at entertainment want to try you out for some of the characters. Same with the parades... you can't pick to do parades but it is possible you'll end up doing them if you are hired as a character performer.

They do hold auditions at some points to be characters but you can only go if you are on the american college program and are extending your program.

14. leomgray

leomgray New Member

I dont think i would want to change unless it was for an extreme reason anyway, crying? what a way, lol. If i was desperate then i would but i dont think i would go to that extreme unless i was really upset!

15. Freckles

Freckles Guest

if it works on simon cowell to get through to the next round of x factor...why not disney mangers lol!!!

i would only switch for health reasons...even then i would want to make it work.

16. leomgray

leomgray New Member

I am only going to ask to work in places i want to work so i would hope not to have to move anyway.

17. vik

vik New Member

yeah i mean the best thing to do is to make sure in your face to face interview to only select jobs you actually want to do! (but dont like only select 2 cos they might take it the wrong way...)

18. Yeh she thought she would enjoy attractions but she specifically asked for one that wouldn't require much speil and they put her on The Jungle Cruise which has the longest speil with the exception of The Great Movie Ride. That and trying to control the boat made her really unhappy. She wasn't enjoying it and the only way they would transfer her was if she cried in front of the managers.

19. Tiddelypom

Tiddelypom New Member

DO CHARACTER! DO CHARACTER!

Seriously it is the most amazing thing you'll do in your life to date.

Been reading the thread - a 5'5" mouse?!?! No way lol the tallest mice (Mickey and Minnie) are 5'1.5". Once you get to 5'2" you're looking at short munk (Chip/Dale). To the person who mentioned it, if you'r friend was 5'5" and a mouse *maybe* she was Perla from Cinderella? She is munk height not sure if she would go quite that tall but maybe?

Yes, you need to put it as first choice becasue it's very popular and if you are in the March interviews then there is higher chance of it not being on the role checklist. It does depend if they are looking for people. And it helps a lot if you are mouse/pluto/goofy heights as obv they need a lot of them! They measure you very vaguely at the f2f - with a tape measure against the wall haha but they measure you properly at audition in Florida. Having said that, they are not at all adverse to measureing you a bit short or tall to meet demands. It's called your 'Disney height' hehe.

My Disney height is 4'11" I think in reality I'm a little taller but not much.
    So that puts me in the Mouse height range. Within that, I'm a short-mid mouse. Tall mice can also do some munk height characters like Mike, Jojo/Goliath, Einsteins... etc
    There are a few characters who have upper limits of 4'10" but I was allowed to do Daisy just because I asked for a fitting and I look fine in costume - and they need Daisys!
    But just cause you're the right height doesnt mean you can do it.
    Like.. I can't do Jiminy because I have boobs haha. He's a skinny little thing.
    Lots of people get disapproved in Lilo for the same reason. I just didn't like her so although I was fine to do her and I did for a while, I eventually went for a fitting wearing the largest bra I could find hahaha so got my disapproval ;D

And lots of people get disapp in Stitch because their necks are too long. Doesnt matter how tall you are, if your neck is a bit too long, the neck fur will pop out - disaster!
    But Stitch is sooooo much fun! (And an all body workout!) so I'm thankful I didnt have the problem. I heart Stitchy ::)

As for face characters, they look at everyone in the audition. You go to a normal open audition and if they pull you face, they pull you for face. It's very very unlikely thanks to time and bias towards part/full timers but if you look right and they need people then there is no reason why they shouldn't offer you face! Lots of american CPs there for 6months do it. Just realise that the audition you do when you get there is open and for fur AND face. If you go asking people for face auditions, they will either give you the standard 'there are no seperate face auditions' or the more technically correct version - there is no point you going to a face audition - they have ALREADY looked at you.

And with parades and things... technically yes, we can be trained in parades. BUT over the time we are there it is extremely unlikely that they would have time to make it reasonable to pay us to train rather than be out working when, once trained, we would be there for such a short time. We did ask about Pirate and Princess this summer. As it is a one off event not continuous we were told that we could have trained for that. Except that they were not having any more this summer haha how frustrating! Also, for them to choose an ICP over CP/full timer, then you need good colour codes and to smooth talk the managers into remembering you for consideration!

Oh dear I'm so sorry! Rambling away!
    Well I think I've spilled all about the getting in process haha message me if you have any questions!

Good luck and... DO CHARACTER!xx

20. Kevus

Kevus New Member

I dont think they pull from the ICP's for face though Beth, i think its mainly longer program people that get face,

and stitch neck fur coming out sounds familiar somewhat... didnt that happen in training?