Characters

Discussion in 'ICP Applicants Discussion' started by *PennyCrayon*, Sep 11, 2008.

1. vik

vik New Member

yes you can but its not worth getting your hopes up for because there are a LOT of people and not everyone can be in the magic kingdom! its also reasonably unlikely you will get your first choice, i mean i did costuming and that was my 3rd choice, but i loved it anyway so it wasnt a big problem. Do mention this stuff in your interview by all means though, at least then you cant say you didnt try!

2. leomgray

leomgray New Member

Yes! OMG as long as im in one of the parks i will be over the moon, but if i get a job at Disney i will be so happy, unbelievably happy! Im being so fussy, i should be focusing on the interview!

3. cowza

cowza New Member

Everyone I knew of who asked to be placed somewhere very specific was put there... I only know three people who did that though. Most people don't care coz they are just happy to work for Disney haha.

If there is somewhere tho... tell them at your face to face interview and try to give a good reason why. Even if it's something cheesy like it's your dream. It's no good reeling off places you wouldn't *mind* going... only mention it if it's one place very specific... or a specific park.

I think if I was the interviewer I'd be quite confused if someone said to me 'Oh I'd love to be in merchandise in the emporium in magic kingdom... or oh... doing the safari at Animal Kingdom would be my dream... I also LOVE Hollywood Studios'.

Whereas... something like 'I absolutely love the Philharmagic attraction... it's my absolutely dream to be able to work there. I don't think I could contain myself if I did.'... and I think I would make a specific note about that. It would be silly not to place someone in a position where they are going to be really passionate about it ;)

When we got to Orlando one of my original room mates was actually not happy with the resort he was placed in because it was one of the 'budget' ones. I guess he wanted something more elegant (even tho all the Disney resorts operate the exact same front desk service). Anyway... he kicked up a big fuss to the people there and they moved him to a different resort. Personally, I think it's much more professional to tell them at your initial interview if there's somewhere in mind you want to be.

If you don't ask... you don't get ;)

4. leomgray

leomgray New Member

Oh thanks for the advise cowza, that's great, i now know what i would need to say at my face to face interview!

5. cowza

cowza New Member

Haha no problem! By no mean do you need to be aggressive to your interviewer but if there is somewhere really specific you would like there is no harm at all in mentioning it. It's no skin off their back to put a note on your sheet that you would like to work in a specific place.

Infact you'll notice they'll ask you a few random questions... and it's exactly for that reason... to help them decide where it might be good to place you ;)

They asked me what I liked doing most on holiday...

I said experiencing the culture, trying the food and seeing the people... talking about our cultures...

Where do I get placed?

EPCOT

Coincidence?

I think not

haha

6. leomgray

leomgray New Member

lol, so if i was asked what i like to do most when im on holiday: Go to the Magic kingdom!!!!!

7. CharlotteSparkle

CharlotteSparkle New Member

omg imagine working on philharmagic!!!! I really need to focus and figure out where I would most like to work! I can't imagine being disappointed about anything though.

THANK YOU COWZA!!!!

I love these forums :)

8. cowza

cowza New Member

No problem guys... I know how hard it is to change once you get there so hopefully you all will get a better shot at going somewhere that will make the experience extra special for you ;)

9. leomgray

leomgray New Member

I dont know, there are so many positions i would like! And i would love any of the jobs as long as it is with disney.

10. Freckles

Freckles Guest

i will add to the thanks...THANK YOU!

when do you hear what postion you have. does it come with the email saing you were successful in the face to face?

if say you are like me and utterly confused as to wher ei want to work...should i sort this out before th einterview. cos i have a habit of confusing people.

though my main ambition is to work for the mouse.

11. leomgray

leomgray New Member

Ye i can imagine me going.

"Well, i absolutely love the tower of terror when im at Hollyowood Studios, it is my favourite ride, but omg you just cannot beat Splash mountain as a log flume, dont you think so? Magic Kingdom is my all time dream place to work but the Animal Kingdom is just as good, working on Kilamanjaro would make all my wishes come true, riding through the safari and seeing all the animals and going the spiel. Oh and the Jungle Cruise is amazing, i think i would make a good worker there. Oh and if i was to work in Merchandise it would have to be the Emporium at Magic kingdom or the World of Disney at Downtown Disney, that would make me so happy to work there. But my all time dream/passion/wish is to work for Disney in one of their Walt Disney World Parks!"

12. cowza

cowza New Member

You'll get an email saying what position you have been accepted for but you won't find out the location until you get to Orlando.

If you're not sure where you want to work I wouldn't worry about it... let fate decide as they say. I couldn't really say anywhere because I had no knowledge of Disney World. Had no idea what to expect. Ironically the only thing I did know was that I didn't want to be put at Epcot. I didn't want to say that tho haha.

I'm assuming you have some knowledge of Disney World already tho? So maybe there is a park or ride you really like? Just have a think about it. Weigh up the different scenarios...

13. Freckles

Freckles Guest

yeah i have a pretty good knowledge of a guest.

im leaning towards the great movie ride and th ejungle cruise. i love the great movie ride..especially the kidnapping bits. ive been on it wher the actor really hasnt put 100% into it and i can see what i would do instead.

14. cowza

cowza New Member

With your scenario Leom I don't think you have much a strong preference between merchandise and operations? Sounds like you want to work in the magic kingdom though...

They'll ask you if you've been to Disney World before. You could get that in there. Say you've visited them extensively... always magic kingdom the most or something. Haha ;)

As for great movie ride... if that's what you think you would like tell them that's the ride you go on the most and why you like it. Tell them anything fun... like you might think you know the script or something? Or how you could always imagine yourself doing it ;)

15. leomgray

leomgray New Member

See i would love to do Jungle Cruise but i have never been on it before, i have just watched videos and it looks amazing. I certainly do want to work at the Magic kingdom, that is the park i have visited most and ive only been to florida twice, once the first time and like loads the second time, like 5 times i think!

16. anijac1412

anijac1412 New Member

Maybe you can help me out cowza...

I'm thinking I want to lean more towards the Character attendant as my #1 job (That is if I even get to the F2F, I haven't even had my phone interview yet!! But i'm keeping my fingers crossed!). I want it mostly because I absolutly love Disney characters and have been attached to them since I was very little! So it would be amazing just to hang out with them all day long while chatting with young guests and making their experience with them a special one, like mine was when I first was there.

But if a questions like the example you said about what I would do on holiday comes up, my answer would for the most part be what you described haha! I wouldn't want to be placed in an Epcot-based job just because of that answer... Do they really pay that much attention to those kinds of questions? That's kind of making me nervous now for what to say to the interviewers! :p

17. cowza

cowza New Member

I think they do ask questions to give them ideas. I didn't think for a second my interviewer was using my answers to match me to a park but when I think about my answers it seems too much of a coincidence haha. I think it makes it a lot easier if they can decide on a clear location for you... I suspect I had a phat EPCOT wrote on my sheet and I was passed to the recruiters at Epcot to put me in an open position.

If you only want to be a character attendant then I wouldn't put anything else on your checklist. Just put that as your number one choice and nothing else. If you're challenged about why you only picked that, then you can tell them you couldn't really imagine doing anything else. I'd be very surprised if they didn't give you character attendant to be honest.

As for where they would place you... character attendants actually park hop so you wouldn't have a problem there ;)

18. Freckles

Freckles Guest

ah thats cool.

so if i put down rides and attractions (stating great movie ride) and then put character and merch..will they ignore the first two choices and put me at merch?

19. leomgray

leomgray New Member

No, i think they just put you where they need people most, they are going to be my three choices but i dont mind which one i would get. I just want to work at MK, i know ive said that so many times but i think about MK all the time, i dream and wish about it!

20. cowza

cowza New Member

Yes leom is right...

If you put a few different roles you could end up in any of them really. There is no guarentee you'll get your number one choice.

1. Character Attendant
    2. Merchandise
    3. Operations

If those were your choices and they had a merchandise crisis... and they saw on your CV you had a lot of merchandise experience I think they would probably put you in merchandise.

Basically, whatever you actually put as your choices your agreeing you don't mind being put in that role.