Cleaning the room

Discussion in 'Accepted/Current CRP Participants' started by PlanetD, May 30, 2006.

1. JaneLB

JaneLB New Member

Nobody panic! :D

seriously guys, don't worry about any creepy crawlies. I've been going to Florida for years and I have yet to run into one dangerous creature. The snake was of the garden variety I'm positive, it was just creepy, and they'll usually take off as soon as they see you. I don't think I've even seen a spider, let alone one of these widow thingys. And the only alligators I've seen have been behind gates, now I am told you have to watch out for gators on the golf courses. Negative on the scorpions as well. The only things that you run into a whole lot are the little lizards, which are actually kind of cute, and the little frogs. The worst thing that has ever happened to our family was my dad was stung on the foot by a wasp one year. That's about it.

So I hope this calms people's fears ;D

2. hockey_town_canada

hockey_town_canada New Member

lol ya i heard about the gators on the golf courses ... last time i was down there playing golf i was talking to a member of the golf club i was golfing at and he said he was playing one time and we in the middle of his back swing and heard the gator sound ( ya know what im talking about right? ) lol anyways he said he didnt finish his shot and left the ball got in the cart and went about 100 feet ahead and played from there lol..... but ya when i have been in florida i havent seen much either... just the little lizards which you gotta dodge so you dont step on them and we left some fruit out once and within like 15 min there were little mini ants all over it.... so they work fast haha...

3. PlanetD

PlanetD Member

;D Chill people ;D

1. Look at the stats...hardly ever anything goes wrong! :)

2. Those spiders like to get into places that are left alone for a while. So I think in the articles they were referring to clothes that haven't been touched for an extended period like clothes you usually wear during the summer but haven't touched while it was winter. So for us...I think we won't have issues. Nobody has recognized this as nobody has made a post like: "Oh yeah...this one time..." So we'll be fine.

3. All these animals are pretty much non-violent, so just let them be. Chances of things going wrong are minimal.

4. I must admit while writing the post about the Florida wildlife and seeing the pictures I felt a bit itchy too. But it is good to konw!

And we ended up talking about these creepy things because someone mentioned the roaches...'cause if you don't clean up your stuff...the roaches will surely come...yikes!

So, I do hope everybody will clean up after themselves for the other persons sake and probably their own as well. ;D

------------------------------------------------------

Sorry posted this before I read the last two replies. But I agree. Calm down, everything is fine. And those creatures like peace and quiet and they will not find any of that around human beings.

4. MONA

MONA New Member

I think .... that you should not worry about spiders and things like that..... they don`t do anything if you don´t bother them.... so don´t worry .... clean your appartment and that´s it.... you won´t have anything in there..... i hope so jajajjaja

5. pinkspideruk

pinkspideruk Active Member

oh i just have to add if you visit gatorland at all watch out for poisonous caterpillars- yeah i know ur all thinking huh? right? i was at gator land about 5 years ago and something fell on my arm and i knocked it off. by time we got to the food place my arm had what looked like a million little splinters in it and was kinda sore and itchy. i asked the person working at the counter if they had a first aid area and explained what happened and they called someone who came to get me. apparantly the splinters were actually little black hairs from the caterpillar when i knocked it off it had stuck them in me. they removed as many as they could and kept me under surveillance in the office for like an hour and sent us home with a map and contact detail of the enarest hospital in case my symptons got worse. it was a horrible experience cos the toxin in those hairs caused my nervous system to go to hell and back and all my limbs twitched and ached!!! so the moral is if u go to gatorland and see a very pretty red caterpillar covered in little black hairs - run like hell!!!!apparantly they are an endagered species and ur not allowed to kill them ugh

e

6. SarahJane

SarahJane New Member

There was no 3-month inspection when I was there.... I think our apartment only got inspected twice when I was there, and we got a 2-day notification about it before they came!

To keep the place in order, you generally make your own schedule with the roommates. The problem is, no matter what, there is always one person that won't do anything. Like, say in a 2 bedroom, 4 person apartment the schedule will be:

Living room/dining area - person A
    Kitchen - person B
    Vacuuming - person C
    week off - person D

and that schedule will rotate every week. But every apartment makes their own rules and schedules... like "every man for himself".

When you get there, you will find out what your roommates are currently doing, and it's usually best if you go along with it. If you want to change the routine, wait till you get to know everyone better.

And re: bugs - if you are on a higher floor, you're probably never going to see anything. The ground floor apartments get more buggy visitors than the higher floors. And even then, it's not often...For cockroaches, just cover them with a glass and let them suffocate (if you step on one and it turns out to be a female, you have possibly just released her eggs). I don't think I ever saw any spiders...but I did see a millipede (centipede), but I slammed it with my shoe, and that took care of that. Anyways, keep your place clean, take out the garbage often, and you shouldn't have any bug problems - that's no different in Florida than it is anywhere else!

7. Matt1133

Matt1133 New Member

You also have some friendly pest control people from Price Management come around and spray stuff around your apartment. We had our visit today!

Apparently, what happens is they spray some chemical along the borders of the wall and such and cockroaches use their antenae to feel their way around. Every now and then, they have to clean their antenae and they clean them with their mouths. So they'll get the chemical stuck on their antenae and when they go to clean them, they'll ingest the chemical. Pretty neat eh?

8. MONA

MONA New Member

soooo.... it´s true that there are a lot of insects and spiders or what?????

9. Ona

Ona Member

Honestly, it's not so bad. Even for a wee Scottish fearty like me. :D

So relax about the bugs.... now if we could just avoid those big cats. :eek: ;D Planet, do you also have a copy of "How to Scare Away Big Cats Roaming Around the Commons; for Dummies". ;) ;D

Ona x

10. hockey_town_canada

hockey_town_canada New Member

big cats??? ??? ???

11. PopcornPrincess

PopcornPrincess New Member

Hi Guys!

As of cleaning situations, can i say one thing...ew.. Your roomates unless your gifted with the MOST amazing roomates which can happen i got it on the third hosue i moved into!. but there pigs. Girls are pigs, I accually have to say, i saw a lot more gross apartments from girls then i did from the boys.

We tried a schedule never worked, it was always me doing the cleaing, and leaving
    really bitchy notes to everybody to make sure the stupid house stays clean!

If anybody remembers the phone card girl from 2004-2005, I was her roomate.... I was having really bad issues with my very first aparment, lets face it 8 girls your bound to kick somebody out, but I hated it, to many people, so then i moved into this other apartment with 6 girls, wasn't as bad, better, but my roomate was Gross, lets put it this way, I spend 15 min, cleain gup her hair from my side of the sink before i started to get ready. oh and the constant watter and tooth paste i had to clean up everyday.. It was NAsty!
    Trust me only stayed there for 2 months

Then i moved into the best place, Everybody cleaning, my roomate was a bigger clean freak then I am! but I loved it, You just gotta hope that you get in with the right apt. and if your starting up a new place.. don't let it go to rot.. make sure you clean it..

and guys, if your the only clean person, Suck it up, clean that house, you know your going to be happier in a clean house... you can yell at your roomates all the time, reality of the story is... there not going to clean there pigs.

12. Matt1133

Matt1133 New Member

Ooh, though I'd let you all know we saw our first snake the other day. We were walking across the field and saw it slithering. There was a pest control guy around and we let him know and then he started chasing it and trying to hit it with his pesticide can... it was kinda funny. :D

13. MONA

MONA New Member

funny matt????? I don´t think so.. jajjaja if I see a snake I will be horrorified ......

I hope not to se any snake over the time I will be there.... but I think that is impossible because there are a lot ... don¨t¿¿¿¿¿

14. SarahJane

SarahJane New Member

Snakes and bugs aren't what you have to be worried about...it's the crocodiles!!!

Oh ya, and the wild turkeys. Man, they may look funny, but DO NOT get in the path of an angry one! Those things can run FAST!

15. Matt1133

Matt1133 New Member

Turkeys? haven't come across one of those yet... sounds interesting though.

16. Ona

Ona Member

OMG totally forgot about those turkeys! Man they are so ugly! :eek: I swear they are actually aliens about to take over the world! :eek: We used to see them all the time strolling around the Commons....along the street....outside windows....eeeeeeeeek! Freaky! :eek:

Then there's the aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarmadillos! :eek: ;D

Ona x

17. doowop

doowop New Member

There are armadillos??! winner!!

18. PlanetD

PlanetD Member

Woohoo Armadillos! They look cool!

The Dutch Ministry of Traffic used it in their commercials to promote seatbelts in the backseats for kids. The Dutch name voor Armadillo is Gordeldier, a gordel is in Dutch a belt...so literally we call it beltannimal. Hences the thought to use it for a seatbelt commercial.

When police would do checks and kids would have their seatbelts on in the back of the car they would get a Choochem armadillo (Choochem is its name), if not their parents would get a fine ;D . Very cool, always wanted to have one, never got one. You can clip them on your seatbelt and play with it. I think this campaign did work!

Anyway...if you are interested in the commercial, here it is: Choochem het Gordeldier. It is an mpeg-movie file. It is funny!

And Ona...luckily for us...we can eat the turkey legs (though I have heard both fans and ennemies of this product). So all turkeys be carefull, hungry Dutchman is comming your way! ;D

19. gemmalou

gemmalou New Member

This doesnt seem to have been answered, and I couldnt resist

A coackroach can live for 9 days without its head. Why only 9 days you ask? Because then it dies of starvation- gutted lol

So theres a lesson for you, if your gonna kill one- dont just cut its head off with a machete. Because myself Id rather have a cockroach with a head avoiding me, than a blind headless cockroach walking into things aimlessly!! yuk!

Also, someone said dont squash the females because of the eggs. Whos going to sex the cockraoch before hand exactly? Volunteers? Anyone?..

Hehehehe

On a different note, I LOVE snakes and lizards-Im more likely to get bitten than anyone whos scared because I'll quite happily go near a snake :)

Hugs
    Gem
    x0x

20. monkian

monkian New Member

hmmmmm crunchy on the outside smooth in the centre