Cruise Jobs?

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Discussion' started by jckevin, Feb 22, 2007.

1. jckevin

jckevin New Member

I'd love to look into jobs on Disney's cruise ships. Have you ever looked at the information about cruise jobs on http://www.jobmonkey.com ? It's kind of interesting reading and free. (I wouldn't pay for this sort of thing)

2. miraclepie

miraclepie New Member

Does anyone know how much cruise jobs pay? Like cruise staff or whatever? Thanks!

3. miraclepie

miraclepie New Member

clearly i didn't read the rest of them...so sorry about that.

I was just wondering also, so it says that you work 70 hours a week...but how can one person keep that up for 8 months? is there really no breaks?!

4. Dannii

Dannii New Member

hi there,

never pay an agency for getting a job! those agencies are not serious.

dcl pays roundabout $300 a week for guest relations, cruise staff, merchies and youth councellor....
    NO DAYS OFF... you get used to it and at the end your contract you are very tired but after 3/4 days back home you are bored because you are so used to work long hours

dani

5. ellen101

ellen101 New Member

I'm beginning to think that the long hours must be somewhat on the plus side for people, like moi, who get SO bored SO easily!! when I finished the IP, I was glad to be home for about 2 days...and then I wanted to be back working again!! Having several months off in between contracts must make up for it! :) Like getting all your weekends in one go! :D

x

6. cindarella_ita

cindarella_ita New Member

hello to everyone!
    i got an email from disney cruise two weeks ago.... but i cancelled it not on purpose! can anyone tell me how to contact the disney cruise? im an italian girl.... so maybe there is an agency in italy...

i worked already at walt diseny world!! i love it!!

ok greetings....

7. Dannii

Dannii New Member

hey cinderalla ;o)

there is no agency in italy - disney cruise line works together with international services in france

www.internationalservices.fr is their website...

cya, dani

8. Dannii

Dannii New Member

@ ellen... haha.. you are funny.. just imagine all the time you cannot spend with your friends. the days and nights you won't have the chance to go off the ship, not having the chance to watch a movie with your friends, having a cook-out or anything else.. I missed those moments soooooo much, even though I had friends on board and we got the chance to see all the disney exclusive previews!!!

dani

9. craiggg

craiggg New Member

Hey Guys,

So heres my story... haha

I worked in Animal Kingdom on the ICP last year and loved it! I have just applied for a character or lifeguard job with excellence entertainment, have an interview on friday.

I want to know the following, if anyone could help that would be great..

1) Do the ships have internet? can you take your laptops?
    2) Do you get paid enough for the hours.. do you think?
    3) Has anyone had experience with paying bills here in the UK while out there working?

Thanks

Craig.

10. Dannii

Dannii New Member

Hey Craig,

good luck with your interview...

Yeah, of course you can take a laptop with you. There is no wireless access (?!?) in your cabin but in this so called "crew recreation room" and also in the computer room. It's pretty cheap and you can use it 24/7....

You wanna know if the pai is ok? Well, it could always be more! I know that "characters" did get "a lot of money" compared to the hours they worked. Not sure about lifeguards though.

I cannot believe you did apply for a lifeguard job - if u get the job u get to stay on the island!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :D

Dani

P.S. Cannot help you out with paying bills while being on board but there is a guy on this DCL Board named Scott... He is from the UK and currently working on the Wonder - email him if u can...

11. craiggg

craiggg New Member

Hi,

Thanks a lot for that info! really helps :)

One more thing, when I worked in WDW there was the annoying problem of pay cheques, having to go to walmart to cash them, some times they didn't have enough money to cash them bla bla, and eventually I had my Vista account and direct deposit, which made it much easier.

I'm assuming the Cruise line runs the same way in regards to pay as WDW? every thursday etc... But how do you recieve your money?

12. Dannii

Dannii New Member

Hey there,

don't worry about the annoying paycheck problem because U WON'T HAVE IT ON BOARD. You will get paid every two weeks (pay check). DCL works together with Bank of America and they do come on board every two weeks I think. So if you like you can open an account with them and have your money diect deposit. PROBLEM: There is no ATM on Board so you have to go to a bank in one of the ports to get money. You can also have your pay check cashed at the crew office. There are safes on board (in your cabin) where you can leave your money. Another Idea is not to cash all your checks, just some every once in a while so you can safe some money and at the end of your contract you get them cashed at once!

13. *Cecilie*

*Cecilie* New Member

I just have to ask... why is it internationals can apply for jobs with the cruise line and not to work in the parks (apart from the international programs)? I know this has to do with visas of course, but can't you get one if you get hired in the parks? (sorry if this is off topic) Working for the cruise line sounds interesting though! ..but very different from the parks I'm sure.

14. Ariadna

Ariadna New Member

Hi! Can someone tell me what do you need to apply for the cruise line and how please!

15. Dannii

Dannii New Member

16. gismo1554

gismo1554 New Member

Hey I know the answer!!!

DCL is not registered in US its registered in the Bahamas which is classed as international waters so no visa is needed. It is a seperate company to the Disney Parks (which are run from the US mainly).

I think DCL is a lot different to the parks especially due to the hours and lack of days off. It's definately not the same, although saying that the pay is similar. When I was on the Magic in May was speaking to one of the cast about pay differences as he was curious about the parks and he was shocked at the wages that IP's in F&B got but that might have been because he was cruise staff and they aren't on tipped position wages. I don't know for sure what the precise difference is in wages between the two but DCL staff don't have to pay accomadation out of their pay cheques which was also a large chunk of where your money ended up on IP so I guess it does have its perks