CV help needed

Discussion in 'Accepted/Current ICP Participants' started by Aisling, Oct 6, 2010.

1. Aisling

Aisling New Member

I know that for Work Experience, you should generally start with the most recent, and work backwards, but i'm not sure what order I should put mine in, because they overlap (they're mostly a few hours a week, so I can do more than one at a time)

The dates are;
    August 2009 - Present
    September 2003- May 2008
    2005- Present (I don't know what time of year I started this, what should i put?)
    September 2009- Present

Also volunteer work
    June 2006
    June of 2005, 2004, 2003 and 2002 (how should I write these dates on CV?)

Please can someone tell me what order I should put work experience in

I was class representative in my first year of college, how do I fit this into my CV?

Should I or shouldn't I write list my languages on CV? My extra languages won't be any us in Disney, as I'm fluent in Irish (which nobody speaks anymore) and only have basic german.

I know CVs normally have 2 references, but is it ok to list 3?

Is it better to have references on the CV or to put 'References available upon request'?

I love kids, and was going to list that as one of my interests. What should I say for this? I think putting Interests: Children gives off a bit of a perverse effect. Are there any better ways I can say this?

2. Aisling

Aisling New Member

Oh and I work as a dog walker. One of my references is someone who's dogs I walk. I don't know if I should put down that she is my boss or a client as relationship to me?
    I don't work for a company, I post ads online advertising as a dog walker and people respond to them

3. VikkiLillyBee

VikkiLillyBee New Member

It looks like you have quite a complicated CV there!

If I were you, I'd go to your uni's career department. (I'm guessing you're at uni as you're applying for the ICP - and all uni's have one). Show them what you'd like to put on your CV and get them to help you put it together in the best way possible. They're there to help you find jobs after all! You can probably get them all excited about Disney too.

4. Aisling

Aisling New Member

Thanks. I don't think my college has one though

5. VikkiLillyBee

VikkiLillyBee New Member

Pretty much every college/uni in the country has a careers advisor. If all else fails, talk to your tutor. I say this as it looks like you really do have a complicated work history, and you may have to order slightly in terms of what each job is as much as how long you've had it. It's something that can't really be worked out over a forum.

6. Aisling

Aisling New Member

I live in Ireland.
    I go to a small private college, where most people get jobs because their parents know someone, rather than them actually having the skills they need, so there wouldn't be much demand for a careers department.

7. abnorman

abnorman New Member

Hi Aisling,

Your email addy points you as going to Griffith College, which according to wikipedia does offer a careers advice service. I dunno how accurate that is, but I'd recommend checking it out.

In general though, do a bit o' research on what Disney's looking for, and tailor your CV for them. If you have 2 or 3 current jobs, pick the most relevant one and make that prominent. For example, if you're going for an F&B job, and you're currently working at a takeaway/restaurant, make sure to highlight this fact.

8. Aisling

Aisling New Member

I tried searching for this, and the only results I could find where on wikipedia.. and a site where the info on wikipedia was clearly copy and pasted from

9. abnorman

abnorman New Member

Searching online? Or going to your college's reception/student union and asking there? If all else fails, there's companies that help with this sort of thing - you sound like you need more specific advice than a web forum can provide.

10. abnorman

abnorman New Member

This is what I personally would do if that was my CV (I'm not a pro, but my CV got me through to a Disney interview):

WORK:
    Sept 2009-Present
    Aug 2009-Present
    (Guesstimate month) 2005-Present
    Sept 2003-May 2008

Then a separate section called "volunteer work" or something:
    June 2006
    June 2005
    June 2004, etc

I would have a section called something like "achievements/awards" and list class rep there, as well as any other achievements.

List languages you're fluent in, you never know. Maybe a guest will want to hear you speak some authentic Irish.

Nowadays, most CVs don't have ANY references. If a company is interested in you, and they want to check the references, they'll ask and you can give them a separate list. It's really not necessary to put "references available upon request" either.

Under "Interests", you can put "working with children" amongst the others.

Hope this helped a bit, but I really suggest you hunt down the careers office at your college.