Dance clubs in the US???

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Liversen, May 12, 2010.

1. Liversen

Liversen New Member

I was born and raised in Austria, where I also learned ballroom dancing. In Austria, dancing is a rite of passage for many teens, and virtually everybody I know/knew is familiar with the basic steps of most standard and Latin dances.

I already know that this is not the case in the US. However, the thing that always shocks me is the price of lessons in this country! In Austria and Germany, I was a member of a Tanzclub (literally translated, a dance club) for about 200 Euros per person per year. There was a minimal fee of 3 Euros for lessons and free access to the floor space. The level of instruction was excellent, and it was fun. We were mostly social dancers, but there were some competitive couples as well.

Do you know of similar institutions (outside of universities) in the US? I find the prices of dance studios utterly ridiculous. My husband and I are not interested in competition dancing, but enjoy high level social dancing. We are not really interested in courses for the general community as they tend to focus on ballroom basics...Ideally, what we are looking for is something like my former dance club in Vienna

Any ideas or suggestions? Thank you in advance.

2. kimmiedancer

kimmiedancer New Member

Hi there,

I know where you're coming from. I'm a dancer too.
    I did manage to find some dance places when I searched n google, so maybe try that? But I doubt you'll get as cheap as you're used to.
    In NZ its like $13 a lesson! So you're lucky to be able to have such cheap dance lessons!

If you would like a more upbeat change, there's always Zumba!

3. monoenny11

monoenny11 New Member

SIBA's International faculty bring their vast knowledge and experience of dance training to students in classical ballet, pointe, pairing, variations, repertoire, modern dance, jazz, tango, improvisations, choreography, makeup and more., All the accomplishments a dancer needs in order to become professional and be accepted in a professional company.

SIBA - Artistic Director Peter Breuer's dynamic teaching and choreography bring the students to a high level of training already from the first week of the workshop. This year Peter Breuer will teach his famous TANGO choreography which will be a part of the gala show. Exec. Director Nili Glazer.