DCL staff 2011-2012

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Discussion' started by bekahkiley, Oct 2, 2011.

1. tayyy

tayyy Guest

i just scoured the dcl welcome page for anything about shoes (....procrastinating homework....), it says "Buckles, metal tabs, bows or other decorative distractions are not permitted" .... idk if the design is considered a decorative distraction or not, but it looks like all the shoes they show are completely plain. have you tried going to places like shoe carnival? i found a couple of options there, and since you're pressed for time you can always get inserts for them if you are concerned about comfort?

2. EGGFACE

EGGFACE New Member

it also depends what area you are working in, the black dress shoes differ for each role (atleast i think it does) . . .seems EVERYONE has had trouble with the shoes

3. tayyy

tayyy Guest

i know it's different for every agency, but did DCL email you when they received your medical information or let you know that everything was fine with the medical results?? i got an email from national medical (the company disney uses in the states) that just said i needed to sign something and that would complete my evaluation.... but does disney let you know that everything is all good or do i just wait now for ship/embark date??

4. Catefran90

Catefran90 New Member

I know! tit seems we are in the dark about a lot! I called the human resources person from disney who sent me the oringinal email about the background check just to make sure they had received everything and they told me the next time they will contact me is with a ship date! I just wish I could be more patient!! Haha it's hard to believe that I started the whole application process back in july!!

5. shanie64btz

shanie64btz New Member

Seems that everybody is waiting here ;) Well I have my interview tomorrow in Paris, will definitely let you know about it later!!

6. tayyy

tayyy Guest

good luck, shanie64btz! hopefully you'll be playing the waiting game with us soon!

7. shanie64btz

shanie64btz New Member

Thanks tayyy, it went pretty well!
    Though the Human Resources Manager who was there today told us that the ones applying for Merchandise or Guest Services would have to wait a little bit to have a departure date since they don't have a LOT of positions to offer yet ... we still have to go through medical exam & visa appointment but they made it really clear to keep our current job until we have a departure date, did they tell you that too?

8. tayyy

tayyy Guest

I'm considered "benched" anyway right now because I can't leave until January because I don't graduate university until december... so they didn't really tell me anything to that extent. I just have a part time job anyway, and they know I'm leaving after I graduate anyway so it's not a big deal... so basically Disney just had me get everything done right away anyway.... hence the waiting now for an assignment!!! which is nerve wracking beyond belief by the way.

9. shanie64btz

shanie64btz New Member

Right, exactly the same for me basically, can't leave before January because of my work at the moment, and that I have to give at least one month notice ... but still they told me one time someone had to wait for over 4 months (and he was available straight away) ... Now I enter the wait game with you guys, how exciting? :)

10. IslandSong21

IslandSong21 New Member

Hey Everyone! I had my interview back in September in Toronto (I'm from the U.S.) for merchandise hostess, I was officially hired a week after and i've been waiting ever since for a leave date. My background check and medical have been done for over a month. I'm so glad to read i'm not the only one going crazy waiting to hear something! I can't believe they're telling people now not to quit their jobs. I'm starting to think I should get a new job at home while I wait (thanks for that information!!). They didn't say anything like that to me! I told them I was ready to leave right away, like some of you on here, but I guess that didnt help me. I've also seen on DCL's facebook that a lot of people were told right after their interview that they go the job and could they fly out to a ship the next week! I'm so happy for all of you that know when you're going, I hope it happens for the rest of us soon!

11. EGGFACE

EGGFACE New Member

im in the same situation as all of the above too. . .im avaliable to leave NOW and they did actually offer me a leaving date for this month but THEN i got offered a better leaving date to be at the launch of the fantasy. . .i must have some good potential or something?!
    just think for all of you tho all of this waiting till soon be over to work for the big cheese, all this waiting is 100% worth it :D xx

12. bkavli

bkavli New Member

Glad to hear there are others waiting. I applied and interviewed with Sixth Star. Then a week later with DCL.
    Then the same day I got the you have been hired. I finished my background and medical. Now I wait.

I am excited about this. I am going to be in Merch.

13. KirstyJayne

KirstyJayne New Member

Hey Hey!

I'm Kirsty, from Scotland! I had my interview for Youth Activities Counsellor just over a week ago, and I got the job! ;D Yet I'm just waiting to hear back about the medical, background check and the start date. How long did you all have to wait to find out about when your medical and background check?!

xoxox

14. Emily

Emily New Member

Hey Kristy!

Congratulations on the job! The medical and background e-mail they send you really does depend on what is happening. I had to wait 2 weeks for mine because my recruiter forgot to send it in before her vacation. The suspense was killing me! But it seems others on here have had that e-mail come pretty quickly after they hear they have the job. That e-mail comes with 4 different things you have to do. First there is a new hire sheet, where you fill in information about yourself. Second, there is a safety sheet you have to fill out, if you have worked on a ship before you may have some of the safety training. And the third and fourth are the medical and background check.

Because you are from the UK there may also be something about attaining a visa (because I am a canuk we don't have to deal with that). So you just fax or e-mail the hire sheet and the safety back from them and then follow the instructions for the medical and background check.

Hopefully that helped you out a little!

15. tayyy

tayyy Guest

bkalvi-- i also applied through sixth star... hopefully we find out our assignments soon! i'm dying to know!

kirsty-- like emily said, i'm sure it might be a bit different for you, but for me they were pretty efficient about starting the process really quick! i got an email from disney about 3 days after i got the hiring email that gave the info for the background check... they said it could take up to two weeks but mine took one week exactly. once that was cleared my medical was booked for the following week. so basically between oct 1 and oct 19 everything was done for me and i've been not-so-patiently waiting ever since. it's probably going to be different too since you are in the u.k. (i'm in the states) and you have to make a visa appointment as well, but there's just a short time frame to start off with!

16. KirstyJayne

KirstyJayne New Member

Thanks guys!!! It's only been a week since I heard, but I just want to get everything sorted I just can't wait to find out my start date so I can start counting down the days!

Yeah I will have to go to London to get my visa. Iv got the summer visa before, but this one is different, so hopefully its not too different.

So what job will you guys be doing on the ship? xoxox

17. Emily

Emily New Member

I will be working guest services!! I have my physical today and it is the last thing I have to do before finding out more information and getting the look book! Very exciting!

18. Emily

Emily New Member

I have a question for people who have worked on the ships before: Do you receive information about your role before you leave for the ship?

For guest services do you get a booklet with information you have to know? I feel a little in the dark right now and I know after you pass your physical you get some more information, such as the look book, but do you get more info about your role?

19. bkavli

bkavli New Member

I got the look book after my interview with DCL.
    I am waiting for my leave date and I am going crazy!!!

20. bekahkiley

bekahkiley New Member

Hey everyone, just be patient and know you can leave at any moment, remember I was in your shoes this time last week, and one call can change your life. I am going to be at traditions today through Friday apparently then off to the magic but please feel free to message me with questions or follow my blog at roamingrebekkah.tumblr.com ! Good luck!