disney - florida things!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Robyn8, Feb 26, 2011.

1. Robyn8

Robyn8 New Member

hey everybody!!

applying in july for CRP.

just wondering what are the top 10 things people would say are a must! while on your program?

want to get in all the experience, it can be anything shows, parks, restaurants, shopping etc.

thanks !!

:)

2. CazzieAnwyn

CazzieAnwyn New Member

Never been, BUT I would say ANYTHING and EVERYTHING you get the chance to do, do it. Thats my plan of action. I'm not there to make money, there to have fun. I mean I've been living of toast for the past 2 weeks due to no money because I keep doing things (at Butlins) But I woldn't change it for the world. I'd rather not have much food in the house and when out buy a few nibbles than buy food and not go out.

3. Discostu81

Discostu81 New Member

Court-side seats for the Magic (basketball Magic not Disney Magic) again...T-Pain and Jamie Foxx sat next to me, it was immense!

4. meelie

meelie New Member

How did manage to get those tickets?! Jealous! x

5. Discostu81

Discostu81 New Member

Go to a game against one of the lower teams in the NBA (I went against Milwaukee), people who have season tickets often sell them on the Magic fan-exchange website through ticketmaster...I paid less than $200 per ticket which is a steal considering they have a face value of $500 and you're gonna usually pay $20 for the cheapest tickets.

If you are even remotely interested in sport I would highly recommend it for the experience of being so close to the action. Definitely one of my highlights of being there.

6. Blondie85

Blondie85 New Member

If you havent seen La Nouba, the Cirque du Soleil show at downtown disney, you HAVE to see it! its incredible!!! the most amazing thing ive ever seen! Just dont get seats too close to the stage, or you'll miss the people flying about above the audience! :)

7. mpark90

mpark90 Member

take full advantage of the discount and go on a cruise!!!!!

cant beat getting away for a few days with all you can eat, all inclusive food, lots of sunshine and a visit to the caribbean!

also your in the states, so take advantage, your so close to new york, chicago, etc GO TRAVELLING WHILST YOUR CLOSE

8. kate003

kate003 New Member

I agree....TRAVEL - I went to Mardi Gras in New Orleans (among other great places) and it was absolutely incredible. GO!!!

The Magic game sounds unreal! I went to a few Tampa hockey games, Atlanta Braves spring training, and if I get to return will definitely take up that Magic suggestion!!

Use Disney for everything they offer you! There are so many things you don't even realize you can do through Disney - You can get your scuba diving certification, learn languages, behind the scenes tours of rides not to mention the free parks and store discounts. The offer tons of courses and certificates (even from Harvard!) so if you're looking to build your resume at all they are easy and look great.

At Disney on the Seven Seas Lagoon you can rent this little 2 person speed boats and cruise all around the lake past the grand floridian, Magic Kingdom, the polynesian, wilderness lodge, the campground - it's amazing. When I think about my time in Florida, this is definitely one of the activities that tops my list!
    Get a Universal season pass - it's soo worth it and SUPER FUN!! They are worth it even just for the free concerts...and harry potter world!

9. Robyn8

Robyn8 New Member

all of this stuff sounds amazing! :)

i'm super stoked to do everything ! i for sure want to get a universal pass!!

what kinds of concerts do they have?

also, what kinds of discounts do they all have available ? and tours etc!

10. Discostu81

Discostu81 New Member

What Kate said...get your Disney ID out before you pay for anything on property or off...you will be amazed the amount of places that will give you some sort of Cast Member discount.

11. forloveofmusic

forloveofmusic New Member

Ride the Skycoaster at Old Town in Kissimmee -- it's the biggest one in the world! Soooo fun.

During the holidays you get great discounts on the resorts... stay at one-- or all of them! My hubby and I stayed in a 350$ room for under 140 at Animal Kingdom Lodge. Also spent a whole week during Christmas at Caribbean Beach for under 400. Definitely a nice change from the Commons.

There is a lot to do in and around central Florida and because it's such a major tourist destination, if ever you come across something that doesn't have a cast member discount, you can often find coupons.

Also, a fun fact to keep in mind... no matter where you are in Florida, you are never more than 60 miles away from the beach.

12. DisneyGibbs

DisneyGibbs Active Member

Go to Disneyland if you've never been! You get in for free so you only have to pay airfare and hotel (and we stayed at a really cheap motel outside...I don't think we ever saw the room; we spent 15 hours in Disneyland on one day!)

Just travel as much as possible. I'd love to have done more but couldn't get the time off!

Also all the little things are great. Get a bunch of friends together and do mini golf (you get 50% off at the Disney ones), take up Hidden Mickey Hunting, go to Universal, Busch and SeaWorld...eat out EVERYWHERE, go to Jellyrolls (especially if it's someones birthday), go resort hopping at Christmas, spend a day drawing characters in DHS at the Art of Animation, go to Discovery Cove!

Just do everything you possibly can. And don't start thinking 'it's ok, I have however many months left'. Time flies, it really does and all of a sudden you only have a month left and no time to do anything.

13. ferti

ferti New Member

The skycoaster is really creepy..

14. Discostu81

Discostu81 New Member

The Skycoaster is sick! I only did it once, I don't think I have ever had so much fun whilst also being petrified at the same time!

15. ferti

ferti New Member

i've never done it...i only saw a video on the internet at I had goosebumps...i am not sure i'll do it...:)

16. forloveofmusic

Seriously, it's such a rush! It's scary for a second when you're plummeting face-first towards the lake, but once you start swinging, it's sooo fun.

Old Town (where the Skycoaster is) is a fun night out in general. If you like motorcycles, go Thursday, otherwise, Friday and Saturday nights are the best. Those night are car show nights, where people bring their old/fancy/unique cars to show off. Then there is a big arcade, really neat stores, carnival-type rides, food, etc. My man lived right next to it at the time so we would go allllllll the time. In fact, that is where we met - at SOB - a bar in Old Town you'll probably hear about when word of International Parties go around.

For the shopping enthusiasts, Orlando is home to some of the best outlet shopping you will ever come across ;) Premuim Outlets has a lot of stores with CM discounts, since it's right next to where you will live. Prime Outlets is a bigger and nicer mall, but you don't get many discounts there... Except at the Disney Outlet Store of course.

Stay at a cabin in Fort Wilderness with some friends - they sleep 6 comfortably and the resort is really pretty. Great place for a party ;)

That reminds me one more thing - at Fort Wilderness (as well as many other resorts) you can watch a Disney movie under the stars for free. I've only done it at FW, they have a campfire and s'mores and Chip n Dale come around... schedule here: http://www.buildabettermousetrip.com/activity-outdoormovie.php

17. Missish

Missish New Member

Is Gatorland still in existence? That was pretty fun the one time I went, years ago.

Mini golfing! As well as the WDW ones, there's lots of fun themed ones along the 192 and I-Drive (main roads in Orlando/Kissimmee)

Find out all the little overlooked things to do in WDW, like sitting on the beach at the Polynesian Resort to watch the Electric Water Pageant.

I go to Florida almost every year, but I'm really looking forward (if I get onto the CRP!) to being able to do more things just onsite that I don't get time to do amongst going to the parks.

18. forloveofmusic

Yup Gatorland is still there - it's on Orange Blossom Trail, about 10 miles east from Housing.

19. Discostu81

Discostu81 New Member

Other fun things on OBT are gun ranges and grotty strip clubs :D