Everything you wanted to know about Disney Cruise Line

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Discussion' started by cowza, Apr 16, 2009.

1. cowza

cowza New Member

I figured there wasn't really that much info on the cruise ships here so thought I would give you all a few facts. If anyone wants to add more or ask questions please go ahead :)

- There are currently two Disney Cruise Ships. The Magic and the Wonder

- The Disney Wonder currently sails continuous three night/four night cruises stopping at Nassau in the Bahamas and Disney's private island Castaway Cay (also in the Bahamas)

- The Disney Magic currently sails seven night cruises alternating between Eastern and Western Caribbean. Stops include Castaway Cay (of course), Nassau, St Maarten, St Thomas/St John, Key West, Grand Cayman, Cozumel, St Croix and Tortola

- Both ships are registered under the Bahamas. Their home port right now is Cape Canaveral, Florida.

- Two new ships are set to launch in 2011 and 2012. They will be called Disney Dreams and the Disney Fantasy. They are set to be bigger and better!

- For five months beginning in 2010 the Disney Magic will be going to europe to do 7, 8 and 12 night cruises of regions in Europe. The Wonder's itinery is going to feature two stops at Castaway Cay, the usual stop at Nassau and a new exciting stop at Key West.

- Fresh off the press... it has recently been announced the Disney Wonder will be going to a new home in Los Angeles for at least two years beginning in 2011. The cruise itinieries for Los Angeles are still to be announced...

- Positions are available in all kinds of fields including entertainment (Mainstage, character performers, technicans, cruise staff, youth activities), food and beverage (Barstaff, servers, galley), housekeeping and recreational (lifeguards)

- Contracts run anything from four-eight months depending on your position. As a general rule... for every month you work you get a week off for vacation. If your contract is six months long expect at least a six week break inbetween contracts.

- Most positions work seven days a week, anything from 8-14 hours a day... that's a lot of hours (but you adapt to it I promise ;-))

- Around 80 people live on Disney's island Castaway Cay... mostly recreational staff. However, nearly everyone is required to get off the ship to perform their duties on the island.

- The real 'Flying Dutchman' from the Pirates of the Caribbean movies is currently located on Castaway Cay. It is authentic and was used in the movie which was filmed on a neighbouring island very close to Castaway Cay.

2. Fettes girl

Fettes girl New Member

Aww Mr DCL-fact-man.You are so thoughtful!
    I didn't know they filmed POTC near Castaway Cay...!
    Thought of something else i was going to ask - did you make enough money to enjoy your holiday? I'm not being nosy about specifics but it was good - isn't it hourly?

3. cowza

cowza New Member

You clock in and out... and you spend more than you might think... whatwith the crew bar... and the 50% sales (including fragrances).

You'll go home with plenty of money though... enough to have an amazing vacation... maybe buy yourself a laptop and stuff... and then you just do it all over haha.

The bonus at the end was amazing though... pretty much used that on my vacation and banked the rest!

4. topofox

topofox New Member

I want to work there Mr Cowza, lol

5. iHEARTflorida

iHEARTflorida New Member

What do you do with your time off? When you get your week off do you stay on the boat? Or can you go relax in Florida for a week? Or go back home etc..

6. tink_rosalyn

tink_rosalyn New Member

Hi
    My name is Roslyn and im from Australia!
    I am looking at getting a job on Disney Cruise Line when Im old enough!
    Trying to get an email address so I can see the job descriptions and such so I can get the experience and right qualifications! Any suggestions? ;D

7. Rowdey

Rowdey New Member

My name is Andrea... and After the Epcot Experience.... I'll move in Cruise line the Sept 16th.

8. cowza

cowza New Member

All job information is located at www.dcljobs.com

As for time off...

Well on the ship that can range from anything to getting off and going to Starbucks... going to the gym... going for a run... doing excursions (swimming with dolphins... jet skiing...going to the beach etc)... going to the Mall... or sometimes you might just want to sleep or watch a dvd or something... depends on how long you have off.
    This 'week off' thing is a myth though. You work every day your whole contract... then have a long vacation. You get hours off though which you will learn to make the most of... and you'll usually have a good chunk of time off when the ship is in home port.

For proper vacation inbetween contracts... some people fly straight home. I always choose to spend a few days in Disney World though and then maybe go some other places in America.

9. anijac1412

anijac1412 New Member

Can you use the internet access available on the ship if you have time? Or do you have to pay, same as guests?

10. cowza

cowza New Member

You can use the internet but you do have to pay unfortuantely.

It is a 'crew rate' which is cheaper than guests... but still pretty expensive unfortunately. It's the one thing I really don't like about the ship... but the reason it is expensive is because it is 'satellite internet'... allowing you to surf at sea as such. It's handy to have... at the end of the day you'll spend as much as you need to keep in contact with everyone in your life... you'll learn good tricks to spend less tho haha.

11. anijac1412

anijac1412 New Member

Thanks! :) You're really brilliant for sharing all this info with us! It really does help us to know what we're getting ourselves into.

12. michlele21

michlele21 New Member

nice thread. thanks for sharing. :)

13. Tino_Bambino

Tino_Bambino Member

is it just me or does no one ever get Guest services? coz i just got accepted but i cant find any forums... btw Ben I worked with Hayley and erika in UK Merch.... send my love to them.

14. Mauro

Mauro New Member

hye congrats tino!!! i am hoping to go on the ship really soon too!!!

15. cowza

cowza New Member

Awwww congratulations Tino!!! Big fan of Hayley and Erika! Goodluck in your guest services role!

16. Janey

Janey New Member

I'm seriously considering of applying to work as a merchandise hostess for DCL now that they're recruiting in Finland as well. Does anyone know about possible visa requirements and the cost of it? How's the experience compared to working in a resort? (I've worked for Disneyland Resort Paris before) Thanks already for you answers and all the useful info provided already.

17. DisneyGibbs

DisneyGibbs Active Member

Tino!!! So nice to see you on here :D Can I ask you a question, how did you get Guest Services? I've just applied for Youth Activities, but I'd LOVE to do Guest Services, and I know Fiona would be interested as well!

Hope you're keeping well and missing Disney as much as me. Can't believe it's been 2 weeks since I did my last shift!

P.S Son of a Witch was a brilliant read! Thank you!

18. Tino_Bambino

Tino_Bambino Member

lol i'm glad you enjoyed it.... when i was flying back i regretted givintg my wicked books away so i ended up buying all three at the airport.

The Guest Services position was out of the blue for me. i initially went for Merchandise but the person who interviewed me turned around and said they wanted to put me through as Guest services instead. it should be the same website u appliued for youth activities. the email address is DCL@excellenthospitality.biz.

I miss it but i love being back. Ive been to see so many musicals: Legally Blonde, Lion King, Priscila, etc etc