Expedition Everest

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DisneyMichelle, Dec 14, 2004.

1. DisneyMichelle

DisneyMichelle Active Member

Just wondered if anyone knew when Expedition Everest was scheduled to open? ???

Im gonna be in Orlando March 2005- March 2006 and am really hoping that I'll get to ride it before I go!! Ive heard that it'll be opening 'Spring 2006' whatever that means!!

If anyone has info that'd be great!! ;D

Thanks,
    Michelle xx

2. Lizzie

Lizzie New Member

what is it?
    -liz

3. DisneyMichelle

Its a new rollercoaster type ride at Animal Kingdon currently under construction!

Really wanna be there to ride it - hopefully the CM previews at least will start before i leave!!

4. Lizzie

Lizzie New Member

what does it do? like whats soo special about it? (ahha i know NOTHIGN about it)

5. SaraC

SaraC New Member

awww i know michelle i was wondering this myself, so glad u asked. hopefully it will be open when we are both there ;)

xxx

6. Marie

Marie Guest

i think a new ride at Epcot called Soarin is opening next yr - i picked up a load of travel brochures on disney! and it was in there - dunno what kind of ride it is tho! im prob quite sad as cos ive never been to disney b4 ive got travel brochures on it so i can see pics of where im going and I bought a book on Disney world today to learn more about it!!! Its called the unofficial guide to disney world or something! :D

7. Lizzie

Lizzie New Member

Hey marie,
    seriously i know what you're talking about..since ive gotten the job im OBSESSED with EVERYTHIGN disney...it's all i asked for, for christmas..."disney this disney that" ive looked at the websit i dunno how manytimes...haha..sad i konw:< but what can ya do....i guess this is what happens when you've been depreived as a child, such as myself, and never got the chance to go to walt disneyworld!

-lizzie

8. Sellwegger

Sellwegger New Member

Aww bless you guys, you're right, those who have already be to Disney are blessed. There's plenty of people out there who may never experience it x

Congrats to all for getting out there, you'll have the best time. Don't worry about a thing, i've learnt that people are so so friendly and kind out there it won't be long before you are feeling right at home ;D

9. Marie

Marie Guest

Lizzie - Aww im glad im not the only one who didnt get to go to disney as a child! At least we're gonna get a year now to explore it!!! Im going to the cinema to see the Incredibles next week! Hope you get to come with us to Disney World Sellweger! I hope all the people there are as nice as the people on these boards x

10. Sellwegger

Sellwegger New Member

They will be i'm sure :D you guys are going to have the best time. Be warned though, the malls are lethal!!! (i'd leave your Credit cards at home!) lol x x ;D

11. Marie

Marie Guest

oh my gosh! I am terrible in american malls - i lived there last year on exchange and am addicted to hollister and abercrombie and fitch! Im actually going back for a holiday on the 28Th! At least the exchange rates good! Lindsey told me the apts at disney are opposite a shopping mall - i was like wow it just gets better and better!!!
    Marie :)

12. SaraC

SaraC New Member

Marie - yeah they are near the premium outlets, i live there when im out in orlando so a whole year there with that on my doorstep, uhoh! haha! theres all your nikie, adidas, reebok etc plus calvin klein, french connection, burberry, ralph lauren...... etc etc!! and theres a starbucks ;D which is where i will b living haha!

xxx

13. stu_uk

stu_uk New Member

Expedition Everest - Spring 2006

Lake Buena Vista, Fla. (April 22, 2003) -- Legend holds that high in the Himalayan Mountains lives an enormous creature that fiercely guards the route to Mount Everest.

Now that legend comes dramatically to life at Disney’s Animal Kingdom in a new high-speed train adventure that combines coaster-like thrills with the excitement of a close encounter of the hairy kind.

Walt Disney World guests will discover for themselves the fearsome legend of the yeti when Expedition EVEREST opens in 2006 at Disney’s Animal Kingdom theme park. The new thrill attraction was announced today during the park’s 5th anniversary festivities at Walt Disney World Resort in Florida.

“Expedition EVEREST adds a new dimension to our storytelling in Disney’s Animal Kingdom,†said Joe Rohde, executive designer at Walt Disney Imagineering and lead designer of the park. “It’s a thrilling adventure themed to the folklore of the mysterious yeti.â€

In Expedition EVEREST, guests board an old mountain railway destined for the foot of Mount Everest. The train rolls through thick bamboo forests, past thundering waterfalls, along shimmering glacier fields and climbs higher and higher through the snow-capped peaks.

But suddenly the track ends in a gnarled mass of twisted metal and the thrills intensify as the train races both forward and backward through mountain caverns and icy canyons and guests head for an inevitable face-to-muzzle showdown with the mysterious yeti.

Expedition EVEREST will be located in the Asia section of the theme park.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Off a disney message board someone talking to a construction worker 'He claims that EE will open earlier than 2006 despite the imagineering changes and edits that are taking place on a nearly daily basis. According to the construction worker (hey, a guy in a hard hat who appeared to be a supervisor of sorts) Disney has made a number of significant imagineering and engineering modifications to EE in response to Universal's Mummy and these changes will put "EE is a complete league and class by itself. The Mummy can't touch it." Take it for what it's worth.'

8)

14. stu_uk

stu_uk New Member

Soarin - Spring 2005

10 October 2003:
    The official announcement for Soarin!

THE WALT DISNEY COMPANY

Soarin’ Attraction Lands at Epcot

The popular “Soarin’ Over California†attraction at Disney’s California Adventure will take Walt Disney World guests on an eye-filling journey when it opens at Epcot in 2005.

The new attraction sends guests on a sweeping flyover above the wondrous Golden State for a birds-eye view of the rich landscape and topography. “Soarin’ Over California†will be the newest addition to The Land pavilion at Epcot, complementing the popular pavilion’s agriculture and ecology theme.

The unforgettable experience combines cinematic artistry and state-of-the-art motion base technology. Guests are literally lifted 40 feet inside a giant projection screen dome and completely surrounded with the beauty and wonder of the state of California as their elevated theater seats take them on a scenic tour over the Golden Gate Bridge, the Redwood forests, Napa Valley, Yosemite and more. The free-flight experience intensifies as guests feel the sweeping winds and smell fragrant orange blossoms and pine trees around them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3 October 2004: Soarin' details from an official WDW release

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. -- Fascination with human flight has been sending thrill-seeking Epcot guests on a skin-tautening rocket ride to Mars. Next adventure: a breathtaking glide over the wonders of California.

As part of "The Happiest Celebration on Earth," Walt Disney World Resort will launch "Soarin' " in May 2005, beckoning Epcot guests to experience a magical journey that sweeps them up, over and across the landscape of the Golden State.

Based on the hit Anaheim show "Soarin' Over California" -- deemed "the most technologically advanced attraction at Disney's California Adventure park" -- "Soarin' " will join Mission: SPACE presented by HP on the flight plan of Epcot guests. The attraction will be located in The Land presented by Nestlé USA.

"We thought the attraction was perfect for Epcot because of its spirit of exploration and discovery -- and that The Land is a natural fit since the pavilion is about the appreciation of the rich bounty and awesome beauty of the Earth," says Kathy Mangum, Walt Disney Imagineering executive producer/vice president.

"Soarin' " is an exhilarating flight over California's diverse terrain -- mountains, deserts, the ocean. "We try to reinforce this story in the pre-show," Mangum says, "by having guests pass by huge panoramas of five of the Earth's biospheres."

And because the experience involves flight, the entry to the attraction is designed to be reminiscent of an airport, with cast members dressed as though they are part of a flight crew.

Using amazing cinematic artistry and state-of-the-art motion base technology, "Soarin' " literally lifts eighty-seven guests at a time 40 feet aloft inside a giant projection screen dome. From all sides -- up, down, left and right -- their field of vision is completely surrounded and filled with the beauty and wonder of the state of California as their flying theater seats take them on an unforgettable journey.

Never before has anyone had the opportunity to view the Golden State from such a birds-eye view with such an extraordinary sensation of free flight. Among the many sights on view during the exhilarating fly-over are the Golden Gate Bridge, the Redwood forests, Napa Valley, Palm Springs, Yosemite and San Diego, among other locations. The experience is intensified as guests feel the sweeping winds and smell the fragrance of orange blossoms and pine trees all around them. An orchestral musical score created by renowned composer Jerry Goldsmith ("Mulan," "Air Force One," "Star Trek," "First Contact") heightens the thrill.

The counterpart to the engineering complexity of the attraction was the cinematic challenge of generating film that would immerse guests in the visual aspect of the ride. "We filmed everything from a helicopter," explained Alec Scribner, Walt Disney Imagineering show producer. "We used an IMAX camera with a special lens that's basically a take-in lens -- meaning it captures everything within a person's visual periphery."

Shooting in a variety of locations around the state was not always an easy task, particularly in a place like Yosemite National Park where governmental restrictions usually prohibit flying inside the park's valley.

"We were fortunate to be able to make an agreement with the Department of the Interior to acquire a four-hour window on a specific date to get our shots," said Scribner. "That meant no changes to the schedule no matter what kind of weather we had on that day. As it turned out, it was one of those clear and pristine blue-sky California days, and we got incredible footage of the valley, Bridalveil Fall and Half-Dome."

Each location in the film brings to life the beauty and diversity of California, whether it's soaring over the mountaintops of Lake Tahoe or gliding across the desert sands of Death Valley. "And don't forget that your other senses are involved as well," remarked Scribner. "You're totally immersed -- you feel, hear and smell things at the same time that you're enjoying all the visual wonders as you fly within the film that surrounds you."

To further enhance the experience, the film is projected at 48 frames per second, twice the speed of normal motion picture film. The result is a crisp, clear image with extraordinary definition.

Just as clear: "Soarin' " will offer guests a first-of-its-kind experience at Walt Disney World Resort. While Epcot guests have been able to blast off like an astronaut, they've never before been able to soar with the eagles.

That all changes in May 2005 when "Soarin' " opens as part of a worldwide Disney theme park celebration marking the 50th anniversary of Disneyland in Southern California.

[​IMG]

8)

15. Goldytap

Goldytap New Member

ok, now that look great! now i have to get to disney!

Sarah :D

16. DisneyMichelle

Hey Stu - thanks so much for the info!!!

I really wanna ride EE so hopefully it will be opening ahead of schedule before i leave Disney in march 2006!!! Looking forward to soarin' too - should be an amazing ride - Ive heard the one in Disneyland is amazing so am looking forward to it!!!

Michelle xx

17. stu_uk

stu_uk New Member

i think it might be ahead of schedules and you might even get to go to the cast member previews! :eek: 8) :D ;D

8)

18. Marie

Marie Guest

Thanks for all your the info Stu! :) Wow we get cast member ride previews? just gets better and better... btw Stu are u applying/going/have gone for the international program?

19. stu_uk

stu_uk New Member

Well i dunno if you get Cast Member previews but i always read about new rides having cast member previews so it would be good if you do ;D ;D

and i am not applying and i havn't been on the IP yet

and just for something to do here is the new show coming to mgm studios...

Lights, Motors, Action! Extreme Stunt Show - May 2005

October 2004

Big-Budget Film Stunts Shine as 'Lights, Motors, Action!' Revs Up Its Engines for May 2005 Debut

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. -- High-octane energy explodes on one of the largest stages at Walt Disney World Resort beginning in May 2005 as the Disneyland Resort Paris-inspired "Lights, Motors, Action! Extreme Stunt Show" blazes into Disney-MGM Studios.

Featuring high-flying, gravity-defying automobile, motorcycle and high-speed watercraft stunts, the turbo-powered stage show will immerse park guests in the thrill-a-minute world of big-budget movie stunts.

When it opens, a cast of more than 50 will thrill audiences with pulse-pounding chases featuring automobiles, motorcycles and watercraft. Customized and modified, these vehicles will be piloted by a group of trained drivers throughout the show.

The arena for "Lights, Motors, Action!" -- a 177,000-square-foot facility featuring a Mediterranean village set -- is one of the Florida Vacation Kingdom's largest "stages," allowing stunt drivers to pack more edge-of-your-seat action into the show including high-speed spins, two-wheeled driving, jumps, pyrotechnic explosions, high falls and plenty of surprises created just as they are performed for the silver screen. The 5,000-seat stadium allows guests to see every inch of the non-stop action.

The premise of "Lights, Motors, Action! Extreme Stunt Show" centers around the filming of a spy thriller, with production crew members, stunt managers and a director and assistant director on the "live" set. Using a Tinseltown trick known as shooting "out-of-sequence," the director sets up the different stunts for the audience. After each scene is "filmed," the director then combines the shots to create the completed scene that is played on a giant video wall for the audience.

Other highlights and fast facts of "Lights, Motors, Action! Extreme Stunt Show":

* Construction on the stunt arena began in February 2003. It features a Mediterranean village façade, stunt ramps, pyrotechnic equipment and a man-made canal.

* Audiences will enter through the garage -- or atelier -- as mechanics and technicians finely tune the show vehicles. Six giant windows offer guests behind-the-scenes views. The show will feature more than 40 vehicles on stage and inside the garage area.

* Each vehicle is highly modified to perform the many extreme stunts.

* Vehicles featured include high-performance automobiles, motorcycles and stunt watercraft. Also, "surprise vehicles," including one designed to drive backwards and another designed to split in half.

* Vehicles are designated by color so the audience will always know which is the "hero" vehicle and which is the "chase" vehicle.

* Meticulous planning, practice and timing are dedicated to each stunt. Because of the choreography involved, crew members liken it to a "ballet on wheels."

"Lights, Motors, Action! Extreme Stunt Show" is just one part of "The Happiest Celebration on Earth," an 18-month gala that pays tribute to the 1955 opening of Disney's flagship park, Disneyland.

The celebration, which begins May 5, 2005, will take place in all the Disney theme parks around the world with the premiere of new shows and attractions.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. DisneyMichelle

Marie - Im pretty sure we get CM previews. Some friends of mine who did the programme a couple of years ago got CM previews of mission to mars at epcot and Iv eread about CM previews prior to the recent opening of Stitch so IM sure we'll have them too for Expedition Everest!! I may even be in time for previews of soarin'!!!