Give your money saving tips for those working at Walt Disney World

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Disney Dude, Feb 16, 2009.

1. forloveofmusic

forloveofmusic New Member

That's a good tip, Ewan, thanks!
    And ya not really a money saver tip since they're generally more expensive than the normal ones, but if you can, definitely invest in a TSA approved lock for your luggage. It sucks you-know-whats when customs have to break open your lock. I'm one of those crazy people who must have their luggage locked at all times, so the TSA approved ones assures you that only TSA agents are opening your stuff, and not some like dodgy luggage handler (no offence but I've heard stories...). You'll know it's approved if on the bottom of your lock it says TSA 007 (or another number combination).

hmm... more tips...
    - I don't remember if it's been said but bringing your own food is obv wayyy less expensive than buying food at parks.
    - Don't shop for groceries at Goodings. WalMart and Publix are way cheaper. I think Winn Dixie had good prices too, and you can get their members card for free which gives you extra savings.
    - Buy official Disney stuff at the outlets instead of places like WoD. They are at Premium Outlets (next to Commons), Prime Outlets (close to Universal) and Lake Buena Vista Factory Stores (on 535 just past where it meets 536 near Ponderosa). This is stuff from last season and whatnot from the actual parks.

2. leomgray

leomgray New Member

Where do you get those special america locks?

3. MattSource5

MattSource5 New Member

win win!

4. Discostu81

Discostu81 New Member

The outlet malls are good but Ross is even cheaper. It may be all last seasons stuff but nobody knows that! There is one about a half hour ride on the I-trolley that I went to the other day & could have spent a ton easily & had an entire new wardrobe! Hurley t-shirts for 6 bucks is not to be sniffed at, even if Americans may look down on you for shopping there!

5. forloveofmusic

I loooove Ross! It's out near Prime Outlets and Festival Bay Mall right?

6. I'm gonna sound really dumb now but what's Ross?

7. forloveofmusic

Ross is a store with like last season's (mostly) brand name clothes. It's a place you really have to look through the racks but you can find great deals. Last time I went to one I found a really cute top for like 7.99 or something like that, when it was originally 30 or something.
    TJ Maxx is pretty well the same thing (Canadians - it's Winners. Euros - it's TK Maxx there I think) but I'm not sure where any are in Orlando.

Kohls is also a great store, a little more pricey than Ross and TJs but still less than regular dept stores. You can find really nice things there. They also nice things for the home at a good price, so it's not just clothes.

8. Discostu81

Discostu81 New Member

There is a TJ Maxx right next door the Ross you're on about Manda. I had a quick look in there the other day but you're right, you do need to allow yourself at least 30 minutes to find the real bargains. There is a lot of crap in there but have a good look around & there are some amazing bargains to be had!

9. aj2721

aj2721 New Member

It is in the UK - decided to change the letter to a K to avoid confusion with the discount department store TJ Hughes. You'll find Ross at many similar discount malls. Also if you're into stuff from Hard Rock Cafe there's an outlet at the Lake Buena Vista Outlet Mall opposite Wal Mart (though no pedestrian crossing). Stuff from across the US restaurants (but not much Orlando stuff) and there's a free shuttle which stops at the timeshare resort next to Vista Way - useful to see the other shops too (inc Disney Character Warehouse) or for a quick trip to Wal Mart (busses can take ages - 45 mins for 6 min trip from Vista Way). See http://www.lbvfs.com/ and take shuttle from Sheraton Vistana.

10. MattSource5

MattSource5 New Member

i went to the hard rock one before, it was SOOO cheap

11. aj2721

aj2721 New Member

You can usually find a voucher to take another 10 or 15% off their already discounted prices - you could pretend you've been to Chicago or San Francisco to fool others!

12. mousefreak

mousefreak New Member

i am not sure if this would work

but if i were to bring my student id couldnt i be eligible for student discounts?!

maybe if your student id doesnt have an expiring date, like mine, bring it along?!

13. aj2721

aj2721 New Member

You could try - didn't spot any student discounts anwhere I went though. Any place that did would probably also do Cast Member Discount so could use that, but taking the card along won't hurt.

14. Discostu81

Discostu81 New Member

I can't be arsed to read through the whole thing again but if nobody has mentioned this one, flash your disney ID & the I-ride trolley is only a quarter compared to the full price of $1.25! Very useful for getting to Sea World, Universal, Wet n Wild or anywhere else on International Drive!

15. MattSource5

MattSource5 New Member

that's well tidy!

16. leomgray

leomgray New Member

Nice!

Quick question, i know this is not a way to save but money, but hey, whatever! Can you get into the clubs at 18 but you just cant drink?

17. Fettes girl

Fettes girl New Member

You can get into House of Blues at Downtown Disney, its free on Sundays (or used to be...) but won't/will get the wristband depending on what they do. Also Bdubs (buffalo Wild Wings) at Crossroads will let you in. Other than that, i don't know, i seemed to be always on earlies/lates and missed out alot... :(

18. leomgray

leomgray New Member

Awww thats a shame, i hope that wont be the case, id like to go out at nights as much as i can. hehe.

19. DisneyGibbs

DisneyGibbs Active Member

When did you find that out??? LOL very handy indeed...now if I could only find out where the Lynx bus to the Florida Mall goes from I'd be sorted.

Also, this year, if you shop at Cast Connection in the month you have your birthday, you get 40% off (I think, I'm sure that's what I heard the CM tell someone today), for the entire month! Bargin.

20. Darn ... if I get it that gives me only 2 weeks during which i will be skint poo