Guest Communicator?

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Discussion' started by anijac1412, Sep 28, 2009.

1. anijac1412

anijac1412 New Member

Has anyone been, or know anyone who has been, a Guest Communicator? Any details on what the job is like? I read the description on dcljobs.com so I know you pretty much create the planners, brochures, tickets and other documentation that needs to be printed out for the guests. Do you still work as many hours as other crew members? And how is the pay in comparison?

I do a lot of desktop publishing at work and on my own time and if I get to work for DCL I would love to be able to offer them some of my skills! :)

2. cowza

cowza New Member

I know people that have done this job... you pretty much described it yourself...

Your main assignment is getting all the 'navigators' designed and printed... the guests get a brand new one everyday. If you have experience in graphic design it will be a piece of cake for you. Can't tell you how the pay works... but you get a slightly higher status than most positions... altho you do still have to share a room.

3. anijac1412

anijac1412 New Member

Thanks for the response and insight! ;D

I don't know what I'd do without forums like these.

4. Imaginary Gary

Imaginary Gary New Member

Hey was just wondering if anyone knows how many 'Guest Communicators' there are on each ship? I wanna go for this role but I don't know if it's realistic - presumably it's easier to get a job in something where they need a larger number of people...

5. cowza

cowza New Member

There is just one on each ship and a 'swing' who would cover vacations between ships

6. Imaginary Gary

Wow! Thanks Cowza.. well I applied and got the job! ;D So I guess I'll be working by myself... o_O

7. richardday

richardday New Member

Hi Gary,

I have also been offered a job as a Guest Communicator. I was told at the interview that there were 4 people on each ship but i could be wrong :-( . The pay is quite resonable for cruise ships i think its about $450 - $500 a week which is much better than my previous wage on another ship which was about half. I went for my medical Wednesday and i have the rest of the paper work done but i think its going to take a little while to get a position :-(.
    Does anyone know if you get any deck privildges?

Rich

8. Imaginary Gary

Hey Rich!

Well if we both got the job there can't only be 3 guest communicators in the whole of Disney Cruise Line can there?! I meant to ask at my interview but I was too nervous and forgot.. which interviews were you at? Funny you went for your medical on wednesday I had mine thurs haha.. where abouts are you from?

Gary

9. richardday

richardday New Member

Hi Gary,

I know exactly what you mean i was very nervous and i forgot to ask mostly all the questions i wanted to haha! TBH I didnt Relise the job exsited when i was going for my interview as i applied for Merchandising and The Agency put me foward for Guest Communicator due to my Print background. Hmm they may only be 3, (4 at the end of the year) but this may mean that we have to wait for years to get on haha. I very much doubt it but 4 does seem alot for each ship so i think this is worng, i would assume there would be at least 2. I went for an interview in June in London. I had my medical done in London @ liverpool street. I am from Bristol dude. What about you? Where did you have your medicalb ETC to? So do you have much print/ Graphic design experience?

Rich

10. Imaginary Gary

Yeah I think it would be odd if there was only one for each ship.. what if the person was taken ill? It's too risky.. there may be four but it's hard to judge since we don't really know the extent of the role haha!

I was at the June interviews in london too, and went to harley street for my medical.. I live in hertfordshire just outside of london :) I don't really have that much graphic design experience but I studied animation at uni so I know my way around graphics software lol.. and I worked at disney world for a while too, what about you?

11. richardday

richardday New Member

I know it was all pretty vague in the interview as to what we have to do exactly :-( . But sort of adds to the mystery haha! As long as we both dont find we not right for the job and get booted off haha!

Ive never worked for Disney bofore but i have always wanted to :) so finally livin the dream haha! I have worked on cruise ships before and loved it but this will be completley diffrent to what i used to do! I have also worked in a commercial printers in various roles for over 8 years so that should help!
    So you got your CRB form and C1D yet?

12. richardday

richardday New Member

Wahooo im off next Wednesday so i will let you know more when i get the Gary!

Rich

13. Imaginary Gary

Ahh that's so cool Rich congrats!! They only gave you like a weeks notice?!!

I did my medical but havn't got my CRB back yet... is the C1D the visa?? Cause I havn't heard anything about that yet!

So are you flying to Orlando? Do you know which ship you're on? Ooh so exciting hehe!

14. richardday

richardday New Member

Yeah it was very short notice but im used to that by now. I shall be flying to Orlando Wednesday 29th and embarking sunday the 3rd, all abit scary lol! Ill be on the Disney Wonder, are contracts are only 4 months which is pretty cool!

C1D Visa is the Visa you need to get from the american embasy in London. It cost's a bit but you need it to work in american seas! All the details should be on the original email they sent you about the process, its a very long letter which is an attachment.

It is exciting but scary as im not still actually sure of my full role :-(

15. Imaginary Gary

Wow that is very short notice!! Do you have to book the flights or do they? Ahh I'm so jealous you got the Wonder I really want to be on that ship!!

Yeah that's pretty cool about the 4 month thing, not much time to get bored with it is there :) The visa they havn't sent me the.. whatever the paperwork is that you need, and said they'll tell me when I need to book my appointment so I guess I'm not going too soon. Did you have to get your visa or did you have it already from your other ship?

You should definately be excited not scared, you've done cruise ships and print before so you have the experience.. and from someone who's worked for Disney before everyone employed by them is soo nice, you'll be fine!!

16. Missmoni1979

Missmoni1979 New Member

Hi there,

I have an interview on Friday with an ACD on the wonder for a Guest Communicator position. Have any of you completed your contracts? Or able to help with some information about the position?

Thanking you in advance,

Monika

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=-37.782618,144.969556