If you could have any job at Disney... what would it be?!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by princess_shayna, Feb 12, 2009.

1. Audrey II

Audrey II New Member

wow, it seems a lot of us have the same idea about moving to america. I would love to do it and seeing as im an equity member im tempted to get in that way, plus i would have my aunt to sponsor me.

John Lasseter's job sounds so cool!! WOw how long was that project?

disneydude: just build a holiday home and they would be out all the time. thats what my parents have said lmao!

2. Matt1133

Matt1133 New Member

Has anyone looked at the information to work in the States afterwards? I have, just a little... unfortunately it is not as easy as packing up and moving there. To be able to work there permanently if you don't have U.S citizenship, you need to either get a green card or a specific visa which allows certain professions to work there ie: accountants or engineers, and the latter agreement only exists with Canada I believe, and you have to be sponsored by a company first before getting the visa. To get a green card, basically you have to marry an american (which I've heard can still take awhile afterwards), or apply for the lotto. Each year, they give 50,000 green cards to individuals all around the world. Doesn't sound too bad eh? Here's the catch... They only let individuals from specific countries apply. The list of countries changes from year to year, but they base it on how many immigrants they receive from that country each year, if it is too high, they aren't allowed to participate in the lotto. Canada, and as far as I remember, UK are not allowed to use the lotto for the time being. So it appears for now anyway, the easiest way is to marry someone... Koda, you might get a lot of people proposing to you in the near future ;)

Of course, I could be wrong, and if anyone has any other information, please do tell because I want to know!

I don't want to put any one down. My dream is to live and work at WDW, but it is not as easy as it seems. However, I believe it is just a road block which eliminates people who don't really want it that badly. People who truly want it will just find a way around! If we believe, we will all be there someday!

"I always like to look on the optimistic side of life, but I am realistic enough to know that life is a complex matter." -Walt Disney

3. Disney Dude

Disney Dude Guest

Hey Matt, maybe as time goes on we can see about doing it. I REALLY want to move to florida and start a new life but i too heard that it's really hard. The chances of me getting married and with UK people having a smaller chance for the lotto it's going to be tough

Yet we're a tiny Island here in the UK and they let every tom, dick and Mohammed into the country. shame

4. Audrey II

Audrey II New Member

ahh head fakes..first mentioned by randy pusch! RIP.

My family have already been through the process, it took 12 years before our visas came through and my sister and I were too old to use them. I have family over there that can help and friends. I have been looking into it. It really helps if you have a degree, specifically one thats rare and would be a great asset. On the USA immigration site there is a list of stuff you need to find.

im hoping being in equity can help me get on a rolling visa like my friend Gayle. Though she is austrailian so that helps. But as long as she doesnt move emplyment she can stay int eh country and apply for her greencard. she works at the gaylord.

The annoying thing is the immigration quotas havent changed since the 1930s! and it doesnt favour britain!

5. Matt1133

Matt1133 New Member

Yes, we will find a way!

Haha, Audrey, I'm glad you got the reference to "The Last Lecture". It is an awesome book for anyone who hasn't read it, one of my favorites. It's about really achieving your childhood dreams, and it appears like for a lot of us, that is to work at Disneyworld! Randy Pausch was a university professor who was diagnosed with terminal cancer, and was asked to give a last lecture to his students, to impart his wisdom to them. He was at one point in his life, a Walt Disney Imagineer too! Again, go read it now!!!

It definitely does help to have family who live there, even better if they are citizens. I'm hoping my degree will help, it is in Human Resource Management and I believe managemnt is one of the areas they are looking for.

6. Karritada

Karritada New Member

well...i would love to be a princess (cinderella :) but unfortunatley im just a tad too tall...) but failing that my backup plan is to do something on one of the musical aspects of one of the disney shows, i would LOVE that :D

7. Disney Dude

Disney Dude Guest

wow, that's put a damper on me moving to florida. I don't have any fancy qualifications which will be what they want work wise so it looks like my only way now is a shoddy marriage ;D or knowing people. A friend of a friend are citizens who live there and moved from the UK.

8. DisneyG2009

DisneyG2009 New Member

I have my heart set on working for Southwest Airlines after my time in disney, but I will have to make loads and loads of enquiries!!

....my ideal job would be working on the Soarin' ride in epcot......I have been on it about 20 times and love it....its just superb lol.

9. kate003

kate003 New Member

You would be perfect for soarin' Graeme! hha

10. *minnie**mouse*

*minnie**mouse* New Member

Yeh you really would!! You've already got the ideal costume for it!

11. KC

KC New Member

Prooooooobably somewhere between the Mansion, Pirates, the Jungle Cruise and the Great Movie Ride...

So, y'know, AdLib attractions would work out very nicely, I feel! *cough* fingers crossed *cough*

As far as a proper real job, something in the Walt Disney Internet Group would be amaaaaazing, or preferably, a job at Casting would be awesome. But I feel, something on one of the training teams would be awesome. Getting to show people around the parks on the park orientation days would be the most fun ever, I think!

12. In total agreement with you there!! Orientation days would be so much fun to do!

In terms of another job I would love to do the guest relation tours they do around MK, like Keys to the Kingdom etc.

13. Cicada

Cicada New Member

I should charge people who want to do that, I could make a nice amount of money. lol

14. Matt1133

Matt1133 New Member

Yeah you could! Was it Utah where it's legal to marry more than one person? Just do it there so you don't have to divorce them everytime, lol
    Though, I'm thinking someone would catch on eventually...

15. amanda

amanda New Member

Yea i've been dying to move to the US since I was a little kid but like Matt said it is very complicated to get a visa. Just as a note of interest people from england scotland and wales cant enter the green card lottery but people from northern ireland can, woo hoo. Having said that both me and my best mate have entered it twice and have had no luck, it is a lottery after all. I know 2 couples who met on the ICP programme and one half of the couple was american the other english, now they are engagaed and are gettin married so that the english ones can move to america. One of the main reasons i'm doing the programme is because I met a guy from orlando during my icp programme and want to spend more time with him, if we are still together when I finish my CRP programme we will prob get hitched so I can stay :)

On the subject of fav disney job being a guard was pretty sweet, mostly sitting on a chair gettin a tan haha.

16. katiej22

katiej22 New Member

Hmmm
    I think my fave job would be attractions - Splash Mountain for personal choice :)
    But this summer I will be QS F&B instead.... maybe that will become my fave?!

I'd love to move to North America - certainly for Canada if you do a degree there your in a good position to get residency. Not too sure about the USA - but I think one of my dad's friends got in that way.....

"If you can dream it - you can do it" - I think that's the operative phrase here!!
    xx

17. BeautifulBelle

BeautifulBelle New Member

Mine would most definitely be a character performer, I wouldn't mind who I was but obviously because i'm 5'7", Pluto's gotta be the best character to play! If I was shorter then I would love Stitch or Minnie.
    And I can do Stitch's voice so the Stitch's encounter thing would be such a laugh! :D
    Orr... one of the princesses or Alice or Wendy would be so much FUN ;D

18. Tawn

Tawn New Member

I would love to be on the creative end of things, but I haven't narrowed it down yet. Animation or designing rides would both be amazing!

19. carolabola

carolabola New Member

If we ara tlaking about ANY job at Disney I'd say character design/storyboarding/animation. C:

20. AndyFromDonny

AndyFromDonny New Member

Any job makes it simple. If they didn't have a recorded message doing the speach for the fireworks etc I'd do that, I'm quite good with voiceovers.