internet

Discussion in 'Accepted/Current CRP Participants' started by hoshi, Nov 24, 2004.

1. hoshi

hoshi New Member

i really wanna ask if there is free internet connection or we have to get our own service provider? i heard so many different versions ... hm.. ???

2. gismo1554

gismo1554 New Member

The internet in the commons is free. You dont need a service provider. You just need a computer with a LAN cable so that you can connect to broadband. Service providers are only needed if you think the internet connection is too slow or you get annoyed at the free service as it is not the best service in the world. Its good enough however to check emails on and chat to friends

3. Livar

Livar Guest

Smart City Solutions, the ISP for our internet, are giving us an OK internet connection.
    Each apartment have a box in the apartment with 4 standard network cable outlets.

+ It's internet, it's free and it works (most of the time)
    + Good speed at times. Up to about 3 MBit/s (~300-400 kbyte/s)
    - Tough firewall. Blocks most things apart from surfing and mail. Even blocks outgoing ssh-connections. Crap.
    - Choice of technology (Long-Range Ethernet) causes 120ms delay to the gateway -> bad for using Skype and other audio chat programs.
    - Unstability. For periods the internet was down for hours.
    - Recent setup of the network hinders people from different apartments from making direct connections.

I encourage anyone with a problem with their internet connection to call Smart City and let them know about it. The phone number is on the black box in your apartment.