Interview insight

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Discussion' started by Disney_Geek, May 29, 2010.

1. Disney_Geek

Disney_Geek Member

Hey.

I was just wondering if anyone could tell me what the interviews are like?
    How do they compare to the CRP interviews?
    What questions do they usually ask?
    Is there a presentation like the CRP interview?
    Do you interview on your own? Or in a group?

Thanks for any help and advice anyone can give me.

James.

2. Birdman22

Birdman22 New Member

I know there is a presentation like the other disney interviews before and it is 1 on 1 interview the rest i will find out next monday !!

3. cowza

cowza New Member

Hmmm... there is not really a definite answer. When I interviewed back in 2008 I was taken to a room where we watched a presentation about life onboard. Throughout the presentation people were taken out in three's and interviewed in another room. And that was it! It was a one on one interview but the other two people were in the room aswell with their own interviewer. So it was kinda noisy... but I liked that... never awkward silences haha.
    However I know other people who have interviewed and played ice breaking games and stuff.
    As for the interview... I guess there is similar stuff to the Disney World programs but they are mostly looking to hire people that seem like they will be able to handle ship life. It isn't for everyone haha.
    So expect questions like... "how do you feel about being away from home for long periods of time"... "how would you feel about sharing a room with someone"... "how do you feel about living at sea"... "how do you feel about working without a day off"... "how do you feel about taking on a role that might not always be as glamorous as you'd hope".
    There will be other typical questions too... like why you applied to work on the ship... a little history of yourself and stuff.
    If you've worked at Disney before this will help you out a ton because you are aware of the high service expectations and you already know it is not always *magical* and you know what it is like to have to share a room with someone. I originally started as a Youth Counsellor and they didn't ask me that much about my experience with kids to be honest... they seemed more concerned about my attitude (i.e would I suit the Disney way?) and if I could handle the pressures of shiplife. It's a lot more entertainment focused on the ship that's for sure!

4. Disney_Geek

Disney_Geek Member

Thanks so much for your help mate. I really appreciate it. :)

5. DisneyGibbs

DisneyGibbs Active Member

I have a question....is it like the CRP where they ask when you can go, or do they give you a date? TGI's want me to be their Christmas Coordinator which means I couldn't go until next year (if they offer me a job of course) and I really want to do it for the experience, but ultimately I want to work on the cruise line and don't want to have to turn it down!

Help! Haha

6. cowza

cowza New Member

Pretty much if you are approved they'll start your entire process right after... you'll get stuff in the mail about getting the CRB and Visa. Then you can get called at any time with a start date really. You can turn dates down if you get offered it at a really bad time. If you have an ideal month in the future you'd like to start they would consider that I'm sure.

I actually got the DCL job before I did the internship at Disney World. When I had been approved by DCL I told 'the Agency' I had taken a position on a program at Disney World and they told me to just get back in touch when I was home and they would start the process for me then. And that's what I did... got home in August... contacted them... did all the visa stuff then ended up going back out in November. I had a really quick process but sometimes people wait a long time... all depends when a position becomes available really.

7. cowza

cowza New Member

I should add... it is actually 'The Agency' (for the UK) who will deal with your start dates. Disney pretty much let them know who was approved so they can assist with the CRB and Visa requirements. When a line for a position opens I guess Disney let them know and then 'The Agency' are responsible for finding someone approved with all the visa process completed to fill the spot. Any issues with dates you should discuss with 'The Agency'. :) If you turned a date down for any reason I'm sure they just move on to someone else on their approved list. Hope this makes sense?

8. Disney_Geek

Disney_Geek Member

Ok. So I'm at the hotel where the interviews are. I just saw a load of girls downstairs... No boys?! Lol get in ;) Anyways My interview is at 12:30 so I'm beginning to brick it lol.

Good luck to anyone else who has their interview today too. :D

9. DisneyGibbs

Good Luck James! Hope it all goes well. Let me know what they asked you so I can prepare hehe!

10. Disney_Geek

Disney_Geek Member

Wow it went great. Still got a big disney rainbow stuck up my arse lol. :D

They'll basically ask you loads about WDW Louisa. And they asked about the jobs that I'm working now. Why Merch? They mainly asked me about my work at WDW though.

Good luck.

11. Tino_Bambino

Tino_Bambino Member

Louisa... you'll see a couple of familiar faces tomorrow so don't worry! good luck kid!
    xo

12. DisneyGibbs

I'm not sure how it went :-\

My recruiter just kept giving me a grilling about how volunteering at Guides and Brownies for half my life isn't really experience working with children...I wish I'd mentioned that I also took them on camps and had to look after them 24/7! Oh well. Maybe he was like that with everyone just to see if they were really prepared for cruise life; doesn't help that the girl across the room had done Camp America and looked after a family's children etc etc!

Well, if I don't get approved, I'll reapply for something else ;) Should know Monday, eek!

13. Disney_Geek

Disney_Geek Member

Was it the British guy who you had? I was soooo hoping I didn't get him. He didn't seem very "Disney."

14. DisneyGibbs

Yeah it was. He was very nice and all that, and he frequently props up the bar at the Rose and Crown so that was something to talk about. I really wanted the woman LOL. I hope he was just trying to work out how much I wanted it.

Ah well, we shall see!

15. Marvan

Marvan Guest

so are some of the people i spoke to at the manchester interview here?? how did you get on???

16. Sofiluks

Sofiluks New Member

Hi! Im mexican and just return from CRP, Im in the preselection process, but i guess here the recruiter is not as good as yours. Im so nervous and want this sooo much, im a disney service freak jajajajaja, any inside tips and stuff??? how long does it take so they let you know ur hiered??? do they let u know or the recruiter??? Im applying for merchandise, but hoping when they see my resume would offer youth activities since i have a lot of expirience... thanks

17. Disney Dude

Disney Dude Guest

OK, Didn't think i'd be back on this forum so soon.

Done my CRP and now i want to do the Cruise Line. I emailed them to ask about the next set on interviews and i got a very vague reply. Just to send my CV and that interviews are coming up soon. No more than that.

I hope to have a whole new CV and cover letter within a few days and get that emailed off to them. I hear Interviews are going to be in September from word on the street.

Does anyone know what kind of money you earn for different roles. I hear that it's good because your never spending money. I'm not sure what role i'd like to do but if Food pays as well as i've heard then i'd like to do that (i heard $20k for the 4 months)

18. DisneyGibbs

Mr Lee!

Yeah they can be very vague, but I know there are some coming up soon because I think Rachel is applying.

As for pay, it depends on the role. But basically you make a lot more than we did at the R&C. And your food and board is paid for. And of course you've not really got anywhere to spend it so I imagine you can save quite a lot. That's my plan anyway.

Though I cannot believe you're considering F&B! The hours are ridiculous, but then I guess you do earn a vast amount of money! I'm doing Youth Activities and the schedule looks quiet daunting even for that. I think for YA the cruise line mention something around $400 a week, but I'm probably off the mark because I can't be bothered to find the information they sent to me email lol.

Anyway, seems like the UK pavilion really is taking over the cruise line! Whoop!

Do you miss assigning? LOL. I miss my board!

19. Disney Dude

Disney Dude Guest

haha, yeah i do miss the Assigning. Never realised how easy the job at Disney was in a way although Assignors is a very un-appricated job.

Well, my original plan was to go for Food and Beverage which is what i want to do for the Big Money but i was wondering if i should apply for something else to start with, and then move to F&B if i move onto another term.

20. Tino_Bambino

Tino_Bambino Member

hey guys. hey welcome to the DCL possy lol. i see ur thinking of trying FnB.... that wud be awesome. i think you and everyone who'll be trying need to think very carefully as to what they want to do on the cruise. each position has its perks but as u gathered from being in CRP theys a few downers.

all the jobs give u reasonable dosh but if u want the high bucks, you shud do FnB; u work alot of hours but you'll get into a routine and u'll be able to manage your spare time.... you would need to especially coz you wont have much time.

Merch is great coz you're practicly off whenever we're at a port excluding castaway cay. they latest shift is prob midnight.

YAC is great, latest shift is 12:30 at night.... you guys can be split between 5 teams depending on ages of kids. good hours u work no more then 10 a day. sometimes u get to do an excursion.

Guest Services is pretty awesome so far. could work a 9 to 12 hour shift sometimes split but its rotational. we get to do excursions prob once every 2 cruises; i went to Cadiz on one yesterday and im in Rome for the next.

i've been able to get off every port so far and every night theres a theme in the crew bar.

so if u really wnt to see places and travel then maybe fnb might not be the best option but u do get alot of month after it all.... it feels like ive been here for ages and its weird to think i havents even been here for a month.

if u guys have any questions jst let me know.... think of it as practise coz one thing they teach you on the cruise is to Call Guest services for ANYTHING lol

xoxoxo