Introduction

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Discussion' started by Chris_W22, Oct 31, 2009.

1. Chris_W22

Chris_W22 New Member

Hey Guys my name is Chris, Im set to join the DCL in Dec 2nd, anyone else?

I cant wait to leave, and join the ship, im going to be in youth activities.

I used to work for WDW in MK in merch and delivery services, but i understand that the ships will be very different, since i left WDW i have been workng for the Disney Store in UK as a cast member and recently as a disney store ambassador, and am still shocked how different it is to wdw. Once I finish with DCL i start back at WDW for June 22nd at Epcot for 1 year, and cant wait!

So wanted to ask, what can you tell me bout ship life, when can u get off for shop and things to buy? is there a chance to go to wal-mart, and whats the shop for cast onboard like?

Thanks guys

2. AliceXx

AliceXx New Member

Hi Chris... I'm joining the wonder for the first time on 22nd of this month I'll try fill you in if I get the time, but I've been told time is scarce lol

3. cowza

cowza New Member

It all depends what ship you are going to be on...

As of right now, The Wonder is in Florida every Sunday and Thursday... so you get more opportunities to get off... there is a bus that can take you to Walmart and/or the Mall for $7 round trip.
    If your schedule allows you to get off in Nassau... you can go to starbucks if you want some free internet... or you can get food in all the usual joints... subway, McDonalds... that kind of thing.

The Magic is only in Florida on a Saturday... but then it makes various stops during the week that the Wonder doesn not... and you will be able to get off sometimes when the ship is docked somewhere.

As a general rule I believe they say you should be able to get off the ship in Florida at least once a fortnight. The other ports depends on how you are scheduled but in Youth Activities schedules rotate on an Early, Mids, Lates basis.

When you are on earlies you will start early and finish early and not have much of a break. You wouldn't be able to get off the ship. (But then you have the privilige of using guest facilities... like the movie theatre or hot tub for your free evening)

Mids is technically two shifts... so you may still start early but you would have a break in the middle of the day... anything from 2-5 hours. This is the time you would use to explore the ports and stuff.

Lates is a closing shift... so you may not start til 330 in the afternoon... but would work right through past midnight.

There are exceptions obviously but I don't want to completely confuse you. Hope this clarifies a few things. Maybe I will see you on the ship!

4. Chris_W22

Chris_W22 New Member

Hey man thanks for the reply, so helpful of you!!!

Got another question for you, my boss at work who used to work on DCL said that only certain roles could use guest factilties like the movies etc, can youth activities castmembers do this?

5. cowza

cowza New Member

That's true. You can pretty much do anything you want in Youth Activities... there is just a rule where 'guests come first'... so if you went to one of the guest pools and it was major busy you would be expected to use your logic and not go in. But you're good to go to the stores... shows... pools... cafe... movie theatre... you just can't eat in a guest restaurant without special permission.

6. Chris_W22

Chris_W22 New Member

Kools sounds good to me!

So is there a cast shop on board or anything, also what should i bring, any sort of packing list, DCL HAVENT TOLD ME ANYTHING! lol

7. cowza

cowza New Member

There is a store on board for crew...

DCL provide a lot of stuff... towels and linens included.

You should just bring any personal items you require... shower gel... hair products... toothpaste... but even if you forget there is the crew store.

YourTV is equipt with a DVD player so you might want to bring a few movies (as long as they are Region 1) or CDs.

On the clothes front... it's always a good idea to not bring too much. You'll be in your work clothes most of the time. Cabins are designed well for storage but they are still very small. Think logically... swimming shorts, one smart outfit (i.e shirt and tie). It's warm all year round but can get chilly during the evenings in the winter months... so just incase someone has told you it's a great idea to just bring t shirts and shorts... pack a sweater haha.

You can always buy new clothes at the mall anyway.

Laptop is up to you... the ship is wireless (you have to pay for the internet by buying cards tho) but there is an internet cafe with computers if you decide not to bring a laptop. My first contract I didn't have a laptop and I got on fine... but I guess it's annoying not to have it if you need to do things like update your ipod... upload pictures etc.

For youth activities you'll also need a pair of white sneakers, a pair of black dress shoes and a pair of teevo sandals (for Castaway Cay). Beware of visible logos on the sneakers. You can normally find good Nike ones tho that are all white... they are ok to have the 'Nike tick' visible as long as it is not completely obvious.

If you have problems obtaining any of the shoes you can get them here. Before you get on the ship you will stay at Disney World... there are stores in the Disney area that sell suitable trainers. The teevo sandals are a little harder to find if you don't know the requirements but you can order on board and use your trainers while you wait for them to arrive.

8. Chris_W22

Chris_W22 New Member

Hey Cowza,

Thanks for all the help you have given me, still dont know what ship im on, but have a date to fly out. Im leaving UK Dec 2nd which is like 21 days way!! I cant wait! I cant stop talking about it in work, lol.
    What ship you on mate?
    Hey I was wondering y we need black dress shoes? Do they need to be lace ups or can they be slip ons?

I bought a holdall its quite big and I can fit quite a few things in there! I think it should be big enough?
    http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/2863331/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CSports+and+leisure%7C14419152/c_2/3%7C15701421%7CLuggage%7C14419371/c_3/4%7Ccat_14419371%7CSport+bags%2C+shoe+bags+and+holdalls%7C14419378.htm

Do you have any pictures of the inside of the ship, like the cast rooms??

and finally anything you really think I should bring with me?

Thanks so much man!

9. anijac1412

anijac1412 New Member

I'm curious to see a picture of the cast rooms as well. :)

10. Tino_Bambino

Tino_Bambino Member

theres a video on the dcl website of the size of the rooms n etc. Cowza... say hi to Haley for me... ill be in guest services as soon as they tell me when lol