Ipad

Discussion in 'Accepted/Current CRP Participants' started by kylemartin, Nov 23, 2010.

1. kylemartin

kylemartin New Member

So people my mum and dad are planning on getting me an ipad for my xmas! Only thing i am worried about is going across to america and not having a wireless router in my appartment and having no contact with home!!

Need to no asap whether or not to get one

Thanks Kyle

2. pinkspideruk

pinkspideruk Active Member

there may or may ot be wireless in you appartment it depends on if you roomies have gotten one or not and if they will let you use it or not. howeever you can buy your own wireless for about $50 from walmart and there are computer rooms at housing complexes (can get quite busy) theres also computers access backstage at the parks in the learning centres that u can use again they can get a bit busy

personally i wouldnt get an ipad right now - apple products never really good untuil the 3rd gen when they have had time to iron out all the wrinkles

3. Alex88

Alex88 Member

4. VikkiLillyBee

VikkiLillyBee New Member

I bought a new wireless router for our apartment... the old one was *really* old, a belkin (ie, crap), and upstairs were stealing it! Walmart sell decent, cheap, Netgear routers for $35.

5. dinotorrid

dinotorrid Guest

I wouldn't go out and necessarily say that. I got an iPhone 4 which works FANTASTIC, I've never had the reception issue that people complained about. I also got the new MacBook Air and have, again, never had a problem with it.

As for a router, I'm hopefully going to bring mine from home.

6. VikkiLillyBee

VikkiLillyBee New Member

Make sure you double check what voltage it needs then. If it says 110-240v, you'll be fine, but if it say 220-240, it'll have issues in America. Might even be worth finding the right connector lead with an american plug on it too - save using a converter the entire time.

7. Peever

Peever New Member

When it comes to routers you can pick one up for cheap at Walmart. ANd there is a good chance your apartment will have one already as I found the vast majority do. One less thing you have to bring as well :)

8. dinotorrid

dinotorrid Guest

Thanks. In Canada we use the same type of outlets as in the United States. Should work fine. :)

9. pinkspideruk

just because there is a router in your appartment doesnt mean you can use it - your roomies may not want you to use their router and slow down their internet

10. VikkiLillyBee

VikkiLillyBee New Member

In which case, they're not very considerate roomies, nor do they understand how the internet set up here works. There is a modem in each flat, and the internet you get from that modem will be for everyone in the flat. If you buy a wireless router it gives the flat wireless internet, not different internet. Each modem will only support one router, although each modem *will* take many wired computers.

If your roomie has a wireless router, good for them. If you plug into the modem in your flat, you will be sharing the same internet as their router.

And thus concludes my crash course on internet set ups here in WDW. :D

11. Lesley86

Lesley86 New Member

pinkspider knows how it works, shes worked there and lived there for a year....

i agree with her, just because theres a router there means nothing, its common courtesy to ask the person who bought it if you can use it and offer to put some money in for it......

thats like saying "oh, someone here bought a DVD player so yeah il just use it"

nooooo.....

12. VikkiLillyBee

VikkiLillyBee New Member

Well hopefully the router would be passworded, so you'd have to ask for the password. Why anyone wouldn't want you to use their router though, I can't fathom. It won't changed the internet speed at all.

13. pinkspideruk

yes it will effect the speed if you are using the router - if you plug in then no it doesnt effect it but if you are using a wireless router and theres more than oen person it does effect it and that is why someone would say no to u using it - now maybe they have changed the internet since i was there and its now a super dooper fast connection ro something? but thats how it was when i was there. the other fact is sad as it may seem when there are 8 people living together you may not like each other that much - disagreements about sharing the cleaning, paying for cleaning stuff, failing inspections etc... all that can lead to someone saying actually i paid for this and you are not using it - yes its petty but it does happen - again you might have a wonderful appartment and roomies who love you to bits and go out of their way to help you but then again you may have roomies who caqnt be bothered etc...

all i am saying is just because something is in place you cant assume its okay for you to use it - also theres the fatc that different countries do different thigns with throw outs - e.g. germans sell their things as do norwegians or they did when i was there where as uk give them for free - no big deal you might think but if the person i your appt has provided the router , the tv, the hoover or whatever then its up to them if they leave it for you or pass it on to their friends or sell it - our german roomate for example sold the tv in the living room about 2 months before finishing as she was saving money to buy a flight home (you dont get your last cheque until the day before or the day you leave so obv have to book flight and needed money for then) i had bought my own tv and dvd player first week i arrived and i kept them in the bedroom and left them for the brit girl i was living with but we had no tv for that time in our living room - mainly because we were kinda annoyed at the fact she sold the tv as it hadnt been bought by her but by a norwegian roomie who had left earlier so wouldnt then put my tv in the living room for her to use

just cos people work for disney doesnt mean they are all fluffy and light and all that and anyways it is polite to offer to pay towards somethign like that before expecting to use it

and so ends my crash course on sharing living space with lots of people and the need for clarity around property in communal areas

14. Lesley86

Lesley86 New Member

exactly!

some people have great roomies and everyone gets along fine etc and therefore theres no issues with sharing things in the flat but in other cases the people you live with might not be so nice, some of them simply wont want to be best mates with those they live with, sounds harsh but its true and therefore you cant just assume that items in your apartment are fair game,its just polite to ask if you can use something and to offer to pay for it.

i know some people had room mates who didnt want them to use simple things like a toasty maker or a hoover, sounds silly but if you pay $60 for something you dont really want other people that you dont know very well etc just walking in and using everything!

15. kanga-rooney

kanga-rooney Member

I can understand why people would get annoyed if their roommates used their things like a hairdryer, tv or dvd player or kept nicking others food, as some people can be disrespectful of other peoples possessions and that is SO annoying!!

However the internet is a communal amenity, like the oven, washing machine, crockery or utensils. So a compromise would have to be reached, so like you said paying towards the router, otherwise it will cause a battle for the modems! Plus if all 8 in the apartment are on the internet at once then yeah that may cause it to slow down, but that all depends how often you all are on it at that same time & what everyone is doing online, like streaming movies or playing games etc, which can affect speed. Otherwise you might get lucky & all be on at different times...

If worst comes to worst & you have hellish roommates going out to the computer rooms, maybe a good thing if you just want some air & to escape for a while. We all know its not going to be all happy-go-lucky-omgz-BFF-roomies times all the time we are there, but I hope if people are being petty about trivial things then it can be easily resolved because honestly I don't wanna be fighting about silly things when I'm in WDW of all places :)

16. kylemartin

kylemartin New Member

Well I have been thinking about it and thought that if I get an ipad I wouldn't be able to connect the ipad to my camera and then wouldn't be able to upload pictures to facebook etc so new laptop it is lol thanks kyle x

17. pinkspideruk

you will find a lot of [people will use the internet for skype or web cam to home

kanga - occasionally things escalate and the best thing to do is to cut ya losses pay the %50 and move to a different appartment - no point in being miserable at home

i had 3 different appartments the first an 8 person everyone was good but i wanted a smalled appartment 8 girls and 2 showers = chaos and also you only get a tiny freezer - its manageable with 4 of you but with 8? we had a quarter or a shelf each - less than the size of an icecream tub!!! this appartment tho was very clean we each paid $2 a week into the kitty and we had rotas for taking trash out emptying dishwasher etc and the money in the kitty paid for thigns liek dishwasher tabs and for the wireless router when the odl one broke - im still in contact with 3 of the girls from it

2nd appartment i shared with 2 italians and a uk girl - they were all really untidy and smoked in the appt despite that being against community rules - worse still the uk girl i shared with was filthy dirty and left mouldy sanwiches on the floor, her dirty underwear everywhere - there was a spongebob bra on the floor when i moved in and it was still there when i moved out - cleaning wasnt really done except by me - also very loud always wanting to throw parties in our appartment or having tonne sof people over cooking and then not sorting dishes etc

my 3rd appartment was fine shared witha uk girl a nrowegian and a german and it was good communal areas were kept clean we had a schedule for taking out trash etc... unfortunately when millie left things went a bit downhill for last couple of weeks but still was okay

onl problem with computer rooms is they can get very busy but like i said u can go to the centres back stage as well as at the housing complexes. also if you have a laptop/ipod touch and want wi-fi theres plenty of places that do it like mcdonalds, and mty personal fave panera bread which si a short walk away with lush food

18. kanga-rooney

kanga-rooney Member

Yeah I agree I have thought if my room mates are troublesome then I don't care about paying the $50 because that will lead to hopefully better flat mates and a better time.

I can deal with most things, I'm not fussed about a little mess, if someone doesn't make their bed or leaves clothes on the floor, but dirty, unhygienic people I certainly would have an issue with. The night before the Friday interview, some of us met up & we were talking to Gary who had done the CRP before & was telling us about his time there & one thing I didn't consider before was if you have a particularly promiscuous flat/room mate...Haha & dealing with that!

19. Lesley86

Lesley86 New Member

lol.....ohhh welcome to life at the commons!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D