Is HSM and Hannah montana taking over true Disney

Discussion in 'Applicants Discussion' started by 03goodl, Jul 5, 2009.

1. D-A-N

D-A-N New Member

I'm not so sure about the parks, or the company as a whole - but I would definitely say that Hannah Montana and HSM are taking over the Disney STORE.
    I used to love the Disney Store, but now it just seems to be full of Hannah Montana/HSM/Camp Rock tat ..... you'd probably struggle to find anything with the more traditional characters on them these days - the Disney Store seems to have gone more Miley than Mickey!

2. DivineAphrael

DivineAphrael New Member

You're not wrong there. But I'm not happy with the Disney Store at the moment, they used to do really cosy nice pyjamas and now they don't do hardly any adult stuff at all. I makes me sad, my winnie the poo jimjams are wearing out :(

3. Natalie_UK

Natalie_UK New Member

i want a new dressing gown from there :D

4. Lauralaura21

Lauralaura21 New Member

I know! I was in a Disney Store a couple of days ago to buy birthday pressies for my friends and there was full of HSM, Hannah Montana and Camp Rock! I was like wheres the range of Winnie the Pooh stuff gone as I was looking for Tigger stuff!

5. Natalie_UK

Natalie_UK New Member

it is like that .. i want disney princess and classic characters back on the shelfs .. there timeless kids now a days love them too

6. D-A-N

D-A-N New Member

I hardly ever bother going into the Disney Store anymore - because I just know there is gonna be nothing in there I wanna buy, or even look at. They seem to only be targeting young or pre-teen girls. I remember when they used to have a real good mixture of stuff - all different characters, things for children, things for adults, collectable stuff (I got pretty much all of my mums birthday and Christmas pressies there for years - she loves Winne The Pooh!) I think it's a real shame they've cleared all that out and replaced it with Jonas Brothers pencil cases and Hannah Montana sunglasses!

7. Lauralaura21

Lauralaura21 New Member

I love Disney Princess and the classic characters and was very diaspointed that there was not a Little Mermaid mug but about 4 variations for HSM!!

8. All I wanted was a Mickey mug but could I find one? no :(:( A choice of HSM and then more HSM and all the rest in that genre.

9. Dan7

Dan7 New Member

I don't know where u guys live but here in Blackpool we have an average sized store and yes it sells a lot of HSM, etc (afterall that is Disney, where else would they sell it...) but I have no problem finding any classic stuff. I will admit there is less than previous years but stuff like mugs, toys, soft toys, snowglobes etc, there is a good range.

10. Lauralaura21

Lauralaura21 New Member

My closest store is near where I work in Hammersmith which is a bit smaller than the average I would say and yes it still sells a range for the classic Disney. Just the range isnt as magical as HSM or Hannah Montana! and takes up more shelf space!! ;D

11. Matt1133

Matt1133 New Member

HSM and Hannah Montana are certainly very popular. At the end of the day, Disney is still a business and they do need to what they have to to remain a business. While Walt certainly built Disney with animation, he was also a strong believer that you have to give what the people are asking for, and right now they're asking for HSM and Hannah Montana.

I agree with everyone that the classics are something special and you can never replace them, but they're not gone (or at least only temporarily while they're in the vault) ;)
    I would wager that the large majority of children know the animated films as well as we do. But it is something I wish Disney would still do more of.

As for Disney stores, I can agree, the ones I've been to here in Edmonton are mostly HSM, Hannah Montana or Tinkerbell/Fairies. There is still some classic stuff but only a small part.

12. Lauralaura21

Lauralaura21 New Member

I guess its also to do with movie tie-ins for example when Bolt was released last year loads of Bolt merchandise was being sold in Disney Store. So I guess its the same with HSM (with HSN 3 out last year) and Hannah Montana released this year! :)

13. VikkiLillyBee

VikkiLillyBee New Member

I found a flaw with my earlier solution... 101 Dalmations could in fact happen in the real world. (Yes, I've just watched it).

14. Matt1133

Matt1133 New Member

That would be interesting to see in the real world. Good luck remembering the names!

I think Disney is still doing a pretty good job of encouraging people and inspiring them to reach for their dreams. For anyone who has seen "Up", there's something a little out of the ordinary, not something you'd expect to see in the real world, but such a good movie and great message too!

15. ShanaBanana

ShanaBanana New Member

Pfft, I for one would very much like to tie a kagillion balloons to my house and see where the wind takes me. "Adventure is out there!" as they say in the film! :D

That film is absolutely spectacular though. They really know how to send a message and make you think about it.

16. D-A-N

D-A-N New Member

I wanna see UP, but it's not out here yet ..... stupid Atlantic Ocean - ggrr!!

17. 626Stitch

626Stitch New Member

I saw UP a couple of weeks ago whilst I was in Orlando, and it is amazing.
    I went with my family and my parents knew nothing about it when we sat down to watch it, but we all loved it.
    I may have to suggest that when it is released here that the more emotionally sensitive people take tissues into the cinema- I'm not spoiling anything, but that is my suggestion.
    Pixar have once again done it. I hope that when UP is released here that The Disney Store carries merchandise, as when we were in WDW we only saw a few UP related items.
    Although I did meet 3 of the characters from the film, which was awesome :)

On another note, I went into my local Disney Store today and actually bought something- which I haven't done for a while with our Disney Stores. I'm a big fan of Stitch and I purchased a Stitch cushion ;D

I do admit however, I am a fan of Hannah Montana... but I don't buy the merchandise

18. MeganHitachiin

MeganHitachiin New Member

The last time I saw a Disney Store was when I went on vacation to orlando in April ... they closed the one near where I ... but that one in Orlando mall did have a few of the classic stuff but most of it was on clearance so not sure what that means

19. Matt1133

Matt1133 New Member

I got a steal on clearance items at the Disney store. It was a portrait of Oswald the Lucky Rabbit, originally for $40, but I got it for $10! It was a sweet deal, but sad to see because it was only on clearance because no one was buying them. Probably 90% of the people didn't even know who he was...

20. Lauralaura21

Lauralaura21 New Member

I got bargins at the Disney Store and got two mugs for £2.69 each when they RRP price was £10 ;D