Is lifeguarding a good position?

Discussion in 'Accepted/Current ICP Participants' started by whiterabbit, Nov 17, 2011.

1. whiterabbit

whiterabbit New Member

I'm just wondering if being a lifeguard is as rewarding as the other jobs the ICP offers? I heard you make more money, but I'd want to also have a good time! I've heard lots of great stories about people meeting lifetime friends while working in food and services so I'm hoping that the same is true for all positions! Thanks for your help :)

2. vanderlyle

vanderlyle New Member

It depends really what you think is a good position. The lifetime friends part I would venture to say is irrelevant of position - you will make friends regardless of where you are, and also, not only at work but also at home. I think with lifeguarding, and this is all based on what I've read rather than actual experience, you tend to be placed in the two water parks, and those parks have much shorter opening hours than, say, Magic Kingdom. I think you can also be placed in resort pools? But you are unlikely to be working crazy long hours or crazy late hours like someone in F&B in MK. You will also have no escape from the heat/humidity, which, depending on the climate you are coming from, could take some getting used to. However, I would imagine it is one of the most rewarding positions - you are there to keep people safe, and you are going to be some kid's hero when they think they are drowning cause they ventured to far into the deep end :p I would think it would be a whole lot of fun, so much guest interaction, and you will get an amazing tan!