J1 academic Program

Discussion in 'Applicants Discussion' started by gingerbeacon, Apr 4, 2006.

1. brennan0720

brennan0720 New Member

there used to be alot of programs like this at disney.. on wikipedia there were like 5 different international ones... piloting new ones seems like reiventing the wheel at a very slow pace.. you think they would have some understanding of what there doing enough to get some info out at least

2. Ona

Ona Member

Well.......... I got it! ;D

I'm going to be a Merch & attractions CP from June 18th. 6 weeks! Eeek! :D

I'm so excited! ;D

All of the programs but the IP were cut soon after Sept. 11th. Since then visa applications etc. have been far stricter than they were in the past and as a result it appears to have taken until now for Disney to get programs running again.

But things are changing at the mo. Hooray! :)

Ona x

[***crossing my fingers the management program makes a reappearance***]

3. gingerbeacon

gingerbeacon New Member

I got in to!!!!! I never even thought to check my e mail. June 18th to merch and Operations. Its sooo soon.

4. adjonline

adjonline New Member

Congratulations :D

Hope to see you making magic during the summer!

5. nick_uk

nick_uk New Member

CONGRATULATIONS ONA AND PAUL!!!!!!

agggghhh!!

I havent heard anything - HELP!

Im gonna try and contact Jason tommorow, but I kinda think I blew it on my phone interview :(

6. brennan0720

brennan0720 New Member

how long is the program for? and are you limited to your pavillion only?

7. KC

KC New Member

Congratulations guys!

I'll see YOU this summer! :D

(Oh, and Ona, remember, we have Disney Dorking to do...)

;)
    KC

8. Matt1133

Matt1133 New Member

Congratulations all!
    See y'all this summer!

9. nick_uk

nick_uk New Member

IM A NO RE-HIRE!

Looks like I wont be getting to live the magic ever again :(

My Disney Cruise Line status has blocked me from getting onto the programme!!

Anyways guys, congrats, Hope you have a blast and make good use of the academic programme, cant wait to hear all about it!!

GOOD LUCK!

Nick
    x

10. DisneyGibbs

DisneyGibbs Active Member

Woooooo Ona and Paul!

*sets off fireworks and confetti*

That's not long at all :d and woo I'll still be here LOL

As Kev said... so much Disney Dorking to do!

11. Nina

Nina New Member

Wow well done guys! You're so lucky you dont have long to wait at all ;D Im so jealous!
    So does your Uni actually have anything to do with getting your visa if you're a graduate coz with a regular J1 you know the way you have to be returning to uni afterwards? Im so confused ???

12. adjonline

adjonline New Member

There's a difference between the J1 visa, which this program is using, and the J1-S visa, which ICPs obtain. It is indeed very confusing!

13. Ona

Ona Member

Thanks guys. :) I'm so excited I can't quite believe it! ;D

Congrats Paul! ;D Woo hoo! Roll on June 18th! What about your sister?

Nick, I am still in total shock that you're a no-rehire! Do they realise it was medical? Seriously, was Jason shocked too? I would call Int. Rec. and fight your corner. You were (and would be again) a fab cast member.

brennan0720, it's a year long program and we are CPs so we could be working anywhere.

Nina, technically your uni is involved. They must sign a 'memorandum of understanding'. Basically it's an agreement between Disney, Uni of Central Michigan & your uni. As a grad, much of it doesn't really make much sense but as long as they sign it (even your tutor is acceptable) you are ok. You are a student at the uni of central michigan, that's why you are then eligible for the J1. ;)

I don't know much about the J1-S? Are there different restrictions on that one. I had a J1 for a bunac work america prog. I can't see why disney couldn't use the J1 for the ICP too? Hmmm... I wonder why the J1-S is required. :-\ Curiouser and Curiouser. :D

Ooooooo Disney Dork Days here we come! Grab your mouse ears and lanyards everyone and dust of Pal Mickey! ;D

Ona x

14. Colin

Colin Member

Ok, got Pal Mickey, got Mouse Ears, need to sort out my pins onto Lanyards, I think i'll only have rooms to bring my trading pins (doubt i'll have the room for my whole collection :() at the moment my pins are all in 2 trading cases :D

Anything else? :p

15. adjonline

adjonline New Member

Jealous. So jealous.

16. Ona

Ona Member

Sounds like you're ready to go Colin, just grab some Disney Dollars for all the WDW Merch we're all gonna buy and starting singing!...hey there hi there ho there it's a disney kinda' day.... ;D ;D ;D

Awww Andy, soooooooooorry. :-[ ;)

Ona x

17. adjonline

adjonline New Member

I forgive you. I'll just haunt you all during my vacation. *evil laugh*

18. nick_uk

nick_uk New Member

Hey Ona,

Sorry I diddnt text back... I got very drunk and have lost my phone.... d'oh!

Well, Im guessing there is no way back in.. I did explain on the phone that my reasons for leaving the ship were medical, however, when I left as the ship doctor wouldnt sign me off (he said my wrist was ok) I guess there is nothing I can do.

Jason said they did re-check again and it was still a NO! :( Im very upset, I just find it very frustrating that because of disney cruise line... which to be honest is a completely different set up, company, experience and work type, I am loosing out to go back to WDW... a place where I never got a single reprimand, was a good cast member, got an amazing reference, an extension to my contract and put forward to serve VIP's and take part in closed events.... it doesnt really make sense, but I guess thats how it works!

In the mean time I am going to complete my exams, and Jason says there is another academic programme that will be in Texas working for a company from Hong Kong.... with the added bonus that there is up to 18 months available.... more on that when I get it.

If anything good did come from this.... My team will be going to that restaurant for some emergency care.... and I got the £60 back from the hotel as I complained about the bad nights sleep I had!!

Im truely gutted I cant come on a disney dork day! I would love it!! Maybe I will get out on vacation before you finish... I will most definately be in contact if I am!

:) have a great day! :)

Nick
    x

19. Colin

Colin Member

I thought you missed out the most relevant and important line :p

To make a little Disney Magic's really easy 1-2-3 :D

We'll be making Magic soon enough :D

Sorry to hear whats happened to you Nick :(

Colin

20. Dannii

Dannii New Member

Hey, sorry for interrupting this topic.. ;D

NICK? You have worked for DCL? When?? Where? I was on the Wonder from June 05-Jan06... I have a no-rehire from DCL as well, because I resigned one day before I was supposed to go back on the ship.. Hope it's not crossing my plans to go back :'(

Dani