Lifeguards

Discussion in 'Walt Disney World College Program' started by Spaztaz, May 8, 2007.

1. Spaztaz

Spaztaz New Member

Ok so I have not found a post about us Lifeguards yet so I thought I would make one!
    Who else is going out to be a lifeguard this summer and when is your fly out ect???
    I am still not sure whether I want a park or a resort cause it takes FOREVER to get to Blizzard on one of the bloody American coaches and they start early which means a bloody early bus

2. I'll be going down May 27th as a lifeguard :)
    I'm really hoping for a waterpark. I think I'd love Typhoon Lagoon. Maybe not so much being near the wavepool...I don't even like to swim in wave pools. It'd be so different from what I'm doing now.
    When do you get there? Did you do the program before?

3. Spaztaz

Spaztaz New Member

Heading over June 5th
    I would love Typhoon - rumor has it on ur first day u get to jump off the big wall at the back of the wavepool as an initation but I did not find anyone to confirm this lol!
    Yea I did merch last year on ICP

4. That sounds like fun. I don't mind the wavepool unless it's crowded, which I guess in the summer it will be. I'd still do it though! haha.

5. arron87

arron87 New Member

im coming over june 3rd but i wont be a lifeguard until january 08.

this sounds really crazy but i applied for lifeguard and forgot that ive never learnt to dive!!! kinda weird, kinda odd, thats still ok though? i mean, if you have to jump in the pool, your not gonna dive because theres so many people around! anyone?

ps, i can swim, im not that bad 8)

6. brynna87

brynna87 New Member

I'm no lifeguard, but I roomed with a couple last year. I'm pretty sure you could be a sufficient doggy paddler and get picked as a lifeguard. Bad swimmers, good swimmers, ya'll get lumped together and trained. Not sure if you need to dive, but I'm sure you can fake it!

7. flashinghelmet

flashinghelmet New Member

do you have to have any qualifications to say u want to be a lifeguard?

8. stu_uk

stu_uk New Member

no, you just gotta be a strong swimmer and pass the swim test when you get there. Then you do a 3 day intensive life guard course

9. arron87

arron87 New Member

yeah i can do everythin else just not dive! i should be ok, though its a long time since i last rescued a brick from the bottom of a pool

10. flashinghelmet

flashinghelmet New Member

oooh temptation. tho dunno id want to get my bod out without a bit of work :S

11. The brick is only 10lbs I think, I doubt you'd have a problem with it. And as for diving...I don't really think most of the water there is deep enough to dive anyway. I know I won't be diving into 4ft of water any time soon haha. I'm sure if you need help though they'll help you or another lifeguard will help you. :)

12. disneybaby

disneybaby New Member

hey!
    i arrive in august and am gonna be a lifeguard too!!
    pretty much like a few of you, can swim but not been in a while!!
    how hard is the swim test????
    should be fun tho!
    x

13. slightlymazmad

slightlymazmad New Member

No diving needed, otherwise i would never had made it last year ;D

I worked as a lifeguard last summer at the Yatch and Beach club resort, a wee bit disappointed that i didnt get Blizzard or Typhoon but i had a blast at Yatch and Beach in the end and we had are fair share of action so it wasnt dull.

I hope you guys all have a great time (so jealous, i wish i was going back this year), any questions dont hesitate to get in touch and i'll help in any way i can.

Mhairi

14. Lonja

Lonja New Member

Hi you guys,
    ill be a lifeguard in a month!! Let me know how it is, where you live etc!! i cant wait to finally go!

Lonja

15. ciara_deara

ciara_deara New Member

You do have to have a qualification to be a lifeguard and then you do the test out there but you have to be qualified as a lifeguard to do the test.

16. Lisa_lou

Lisa_lou New Member

i was a lifeguard at typhoon last summer and loved it! i didn't have any lifeguard qualifications when i went out there...so unless they've changed it this year, then you don't need and qualifications...just need to pass the swim test, then the 3 day course!

17. adjonline

adjonline New Member

No, you don't. Or at least, you haven't for the past few years.

18. patto

patto New Member

wat if you fail one or both of the test/3 day course, do they just move you to some other role or send you home?

19. MegD

MegD New Member

If you don't pass the swim test I'd say you'd be put in another role. If you can't pass the course they'll put you in another role as well I suppose, but usually you'll retake the course and try again. I know a few people who did that this summer.

20. disneybaby

disneybaby New Member

its alot harder to fail the swim test than u think!!! all u have to do is swim 8 lenghts of a normal pool to be a deep water guard n 2 lengths to be a shallow water guard, then u pick up a brick from 8ft down, if u cant do that they qualify u as a shallow guard, and tread water for 2 minutes hand out the water, and again if u cant do that u get shallow water!! so really all u have to do is swim 2 lenghts, and its not timed at all!!

then u have the 3 day course, which if u fail u get another try, but if u fail second time they put u in a new role!