Little Disney Things That Make You Smile

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ~Disney_Princess~, Sep 12, 2008.

1. DisneyGibbs

DisneyGibbs Active Member

Erm well Mary Poppins was part cartoon which went to the West End then Broadway... Tarzan went to Broadway...

I want Finding Nemo to go...not sure how they'd make it longer...but I'm sure they could.

Also, Sleeping Beauty is a panto...as is Cinderella, but not the Disney versions.

2. cowza

cowza New Member

Little Mermaid is the newest one... I suspect it might come to London soon. I'm really interested to see it. Sounds like there are a lot of differences to the movie.

There is also a production of Hunchback of Notre Dame in Germany... don't know if it's still running. I wish they would have done an english version!

3. DisneyGibbs

Oh I forgot about the Little Mermaid...which is weird because I adore 'I Want The Good Times Back....' Sherie Renee Scott is awesome! (she was also in another Disney Broadway Production called Aida, as Amneris.)

I love the Hunchback soundtrack (as in the movie...) Hellfire is such a powerful song.

4. *minnie**mouse*

*minnie**mouse* New Member

The Belles of Notre Dame is an awesome track, and it's like a good 10mins long. Bet the stage play is really good. Did disney ever do some kind of show when the film came out?

5. Freckles

Freckles Guest

they adapted it to the stage if that is what you are asking (the aladdin extra dvd just told me!!)

6. cowza

cowza New Member

You mean of the Hunchback of Notre Dame right?

There used to be a show at Hollywood Studios in Florida and I think Disneyland Paris had something too. As for a broadway style show... it was adapted into one but to date it has only played in Germany (and it is in German). It is known as Der Glöckner Von Notre Dame.

When searching for it I noticed the lyricist Stephen Schwartz was asked about an english version at the opening night of Little Mermaid. He responded:

"I think we're starting up Hunchback of Notre Dame, hopefully, next year. Rumor has reached my ear that it's happening."

Maybe Hunchback is on its way afterall... :eek:

7. DisneyGibbs

I remember seeing the one in MGM!!! I wasn't all that keen on Hunchback at the time (didn't know the music then!) and didn't understand why people were giving it standing ovations! I still don't in fact :-\

8. cowza

cowza New Member

Hunchback is an interesting one... I've read it was one of the most financially disappointing one for Disney. They opted for a very dark and adult theme and audiences at the time didn't take very well to it... they wanted more childish things for the kids to take to.

I think the reason I like it so much is because it is very real story. It's no fairytale but it still has charms.

I always found it interesting they chose to adopt such a dark novel. I do think it is a very powerful film though... it really gets you to feel for those characters. I remember getting chills the first time I heard Esmeralda sing 'God Help the Outcasts' in the church. Then when Quasimodo sees Esmeralda kissing Phoebus you cannot help but feel extreme pity for that character.

It sounds like an amazing stage musical though. God Help the Outcasts is a duet between Esmeralda and Quasimodo. It's changed to reflect the novel more though... and Esmeralda actually dies in it :-( And 'Someday' is sung by Phoebus and Esmeralda. Someday is a great song! If you haven't heard it I suggest getting it... there are a few different versions. All For One sing it in the US version... UK was by Eternal (remember those haha?!)... and then Mexicos most famous singer Luis Miguel does a Spanish version for Spain and Latin America (Suena).

9. DisneyGibbs

I love God Help the Outcasts..... especially the Bette Midler version (I'm sure its her) they play at the end of the film...I have that in my new Disney piano/vocal book and can't wait to be able to sing it!

10. ginabella

ginabella New Member

Yeah it is Bette Midler....I sang that and Wind beneath my Wings by her for my music GCSE!!

i loooooooove singing god help the outcasts....imagine me...in an esmerelda outfit prancing round my room....IT HAPPENS!!! ;D :D ;D

11. cowza

cowza New Member

Haha. Wind Beneath My Wings... from Beaches! I embarassingly admit to liking that movie haha. I don't cry very easily but I did when I saw that...

I'm not a huge fan of Bette Midlers voice but I can't deny her utter brilliance in Hocus Pocus. She is so perfect in that part!

12. DisneyGibbs

I must admit her voice is not quite to my liking...but I put up with it because the song is so good!

13. *minnie**mouse*

*minnie**mouse* New Member

Yeh the Hunchback of Notre Dame is quite a dark film, it's certainly very deep. Well, apart from those awesome gargoyles!! I think Disney did a brilliant job to make this story reach their younger audience, considering how dark the story and some of the characters were. Then again stories like Alice and Wonderland are complex and very twisted. So much so that Tim Burton is making a version of Alice and Wonderland (which I can't wait for).
    But who says they make disney films for just kids :p :p

14. Freckles

Freckles Guest

Alice is definitely more twisted than people think. i love hunchback, i feel it gives disney taht variety in their productions.

then again most of the disney films have sinister bits in them at some point.

i havent heard bette midlers version..i have her version of i put a spell on you though :)

15. cowza

cowza New Member

Her version of Baby Mine is nice but I prefer the original version of God Help The Outcasts (Heidi... can't remember surname but begins with an M haha)

16. DisneyGibbs

The girl who sung in the film should have sung Bette Midlers version...there are more lyrics and the song overall is just better.

I really want to read the Hunchback of Notre Dame book (as well as Les Mis and the sequel).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0WFdPh1MA4

17. cowza

cowza New Member

Oh my life Louisa... I tried to read that book. Really could not!

I don't know what kind of books you like but I do not like the style of Hunchback... it just goes on and on and on and on. Quite like Thomas Hardy does. It has a very old style but then it is an old book I guess haha. I should send it to you.

18. DisneyGibbs

Yeah, on the Musical Talk podcast they said it was a very hard book to read...but I love learning the back stories to films or musicals. Wicked was an awesome book (but I warn those of you that haven't read it that it's very different to the musical and its extremely dark, however, a very good read if you can get your head round the random descriptions and sentences...it's written in a very odd style. Gregory McQuire wrote it and one of his other books, Mirror Mirror, which a very different version of Snow White, is written in the same vain. However, another of his books, Lost, is very easy to read.)

Anyway....so yeah..bring on the books LOL!

19. DisneyGibbs

So yeah...I was watching Strictly Come Dancing...and who is guest singing, but Bette Midler! Us lot at Wildcat High can certainly predict the future....eh Jo?

20. leomgray

leomgray New Member

Ye, she sounded quite different but she is a good singer.

Btw i have been told Les Mis the book is a very depressing and nothing like the musical, same as Phantom of the Opera!