Lots of questions!

Discussion in 'Accepted/Current CRP Participants' started by doddi92, Oct 17, 2010.

1. ~Disney_Princess~

~Disney_Princess~ New Member

Thanks for all the responses so far. They've been really helpful :)

I just wanted to ask a few questions myself. Hope you guys don't mind :)
    OK, :) :) How hot does it get there really? I know it says to expect it to be an average of 100 F (37 C) in the summer. So is it uncomfortable walking around in the heat? Do you get used to it?

Also how far away is Walmart from the apartments? Is it possible to walk there?

Thanks ;D

2. Lesley86

Lesley86 New Member

Ok, no I'm afraid that it is not possible towalk to walmart, they are around a 5 - 10 minute car journey away or longer if you use the Disney cast member bus. You can walk to publix supermarket tho which is about a 10 minute walk from the commons.

The temperatures get very hot!!! Yes, some days in the summer it will be around 100 degrees but your body gets used to it after a short while and you learn to stay in the shade etc

3. ~Disney_Princess~

Thanks Lemondrop I figured that bearing the heat is just a matter of getting used to it and going on Splash Mountain alot! :D

4. BrerJon

BrerJon New Member

Hey Myah I shouldn't worry about anything, by the time you go out lots of us will be there already (I go in February) so I'm sure there'll be people out there you've already chatted to who will be happy to answer any questions, take you to Wal-Mart etc!

On the phone issue I'd say don't use a UK calling plan, as that would be expensive, but if you get your existing handset unlocked then you can use it with any US network as long as your phone is tri-band compatible, so if you have a nice phone you should be able to use it, just put a USA SIM card in when you get there and leave your old one back in the UK.

Jon

5. roxysurfroxy

roxysurfroxy Member

More Random Questions! Haha

1. I remember reading somewhere - I have searched but can't find it anywhere. In regards to the UK uniform/costume - I remember reading advice to choose a particular color (maybe because the material was thicker and less see through or something) Was the advice to choose yellow over white? The yellow ones are newer? Was that correct??

2. In terms of getting a Florida ID Card - how far away are the offices to do that?

Sorry, I know these questions are really really random.

6. Lesley86

Lesley86 New Member

in UK F&B the costume has a yellow shirt, some of the ones that are in costuming are now a really pale colour from being washed so much so yeah, try and get some nice bright yellow ones! just as they look a lot nicer really!!!

The place you would go to get a state ID is in downtown orlando itself ( i think) so you would need to get a taxi or hire a car - its a good 30minute drive away...... tbh you dont need a state ID, you will be fine just using a UK driving licence (full or provisional) or your passport

7. ~Disney_Princess~

Just wondering about the Florida ID cards...
    How do you get one? Is there alot of paperwork involved etc.?

8. pinkspideruk

pinkspideruk Active Member

or an id card: you need to take your passport for id and your social secruity number - if kojak or one of the other minibus drivers are around they will take you round trip for $15 per person think the id costs around $6 to buy - they are temporary id cards and only valid for 12 months tho not permenmant ones

the place you go is the same place to do ya american driving test and get a usa license if you want one

you wait a lonnggggg time to be seen then it takes about 10 mins to get it sorted and your done

with costumes - seriously make sure you get liek light coloured bras cos in the rain they do go see thru and you can be sent back to costuming to change if ya under wear is a dark colour and showing thru

9. linsey

linsey New Member

I know, right?! It'll be awesome! Maybe I'll earn a new nickname, lol. Tho Rose and Karen would be really upset cos they STILL call me by my old nickname :)

10. linsey

linsey New Member

I think ID cards and driving licenses have gone up in price now. When I was out I got my ID for 3 dollars and my license for about 40. Best thing to do is make an actual appointment with the DMV for them when you go out.

I do really recommend getting the ID though. It's the best thing to use for getting into clubs are you risk losing a passport by carrying it out with you (it happened to a few people) and it also has a swipe strip on it, so clubs just run the ID through like a credit card and bam, in you go!

Speaking of, I can't wait for my Saturday nights to be interesting again. Cowboys here I come!

11. ~Disney_Princess~

Thanks for the info about the ID cards :)
    It doesn't sound too hard to get one, besides the long wait :-\ which is often the case with getting government ID, passports etc. ::)

12. ~Disney_Princess~

Yeah prices for ID's and stuff tend to go up over time :mad:
    For getting into clubs and stuff can you use your driver's licence from the country you're from? My driver's licence is what I use for ID now. I really wouldn't want to take my passport out with me to clubs, I tend to lose thing especially when I've been drinking ::)

13. pinkspideruk

you can use your driving license for id if: its written in english, is in date (not expired) and it has a picture on it

speaking as someone who lost her bag out clubbing which contained - bank card, passport, commons id, disney id (on same lanyard!) i can tell you it is beyond a nightmare - without ya passport you cant work cos you no longe rhave your visa - i was very lucky in that a bouncer found my bag hanging up behind a toilet door and the taxi driver we all used knew us and kindly picked my bag up for me - but it was crazy - cos no id meant i couldnt actually get in or out of the commons or on the buses so i couldnt get a new disney id cos i needed to get the bus there and i couldnt go to cipo trailer for advice cos i couldnt get on the bus or into disney !

ps linsey - i want to be in cowboys on a saturday night trying to line dance too :'( i miss cowboys!!!!! best club/bar ever

14. linsey

linsey New Member

like pinkspideruk said, you can use a license if it's in English however, if a bouncer doesn't recognise it and therefore doesn't know if it's authentic then they can still refuse you entry. passport is the only guaranteed one outside of state ID. Though clubs do tend to recognise british ones as they see them so often!

15. roxysurfroxy

roxysurfroxy Member

Thanks so much for the info re ID and Uniform. I'll bear that info in mind when I get to costuming! Haha. I'm gonna get a State ID I think cos am petrified of losing my passport. But then again I might get a US License cos I really wanna get a car to drive to Cocoa Beach - a lot. :)

Am trying to think about plans for getting there.... I don't know whether to fly the night before and stay in a hotel?? But I'm worried about getting to Disney then as the Mears Transportation bus takes you from the airport to the housing right?? So thinking about arriving on my start date.... Sorry if this doesn't make sense. Lol. I worry - a lot.

16. xSmidgex

xSmidgex New Member

i'm going out a couple of days before...I'm just going to get a taxi from my hotel on the day or arrival to vista...it shouldn't cost too much and then that way you get dropped off right outside :D

xxx

17. linsey

linsey New Member

I thought disney had stopped the housing busses from the airport? maybe I'm wrong but was sure that had happened, unless they had put them on again!
    Do you still check in with disney at the airport though too at their desk??
    newbies might need to know that, but it's been ages since I was out and I think the process changed...

... I'll be going out early this time, but staying with relatives, buying a car and taking part in a 5k the weekend before I start!

18. Lesley86

Lesley86 New Member

linsey i dont think they do the airport pick ups anymore, i heard that now you have to make your own way to vista and you then get taken from vista to whatever complex your going to be living in after they check you in and do all paperwork!

19. 2005CP

2005CP New Member

In a way thats a better things-no waiting around for people with delayed flights,and if there is loads of you, its peanuts in a taxi

20. pinkspideruk

u get discount on mears transport now like to vista its $19 instead of $25 or something but if theres like 4 of u it would porb be cheaper to g et a cab