Meanings

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MitchellC, Mar 7, 2011.

1. MitchellC

MitchellC New Member

Ok, so this is just a fun thing / helpful guide for those of us going over soon.
    I was just wondering if the people who've done the program, or who are currently doing it could put down some American meanings / version of words so that we know what to say, instead of having someone stare at us stupidly whilst they try and work out what it is we just asked for...

I just re-read that paragraph and it makes no sense at all, lol, so I'll give an example:

Our Word: Fuel / Petrol
    American: Gas

etc...

2. missginius

missginius Member

I know this isn't strictly speaking American but I'm wondering what "spiel", sometimes wrote "speil" means. As I'm German and in that language it means simply game, I was surprised how often it is used here in a way that I really can't understand. So I would be really grateful if someone could help.
    Thanks!
    Gini

3. CazzieAnwyn

CazzieAnwyn New Member

When I was sitting through a travel lecture with an American lady, she told us all to sit on our fannies. I was like O.O What o_O But she meant bum. THAT made me giggle in an awkward way.

4. kate003

kate003 New Member

Gini - a spiel is when you have a practised speech that you do. For example as a server you 'spiel' the menu to your table: go through different appetizers, entrees, desserts and drinks etc. Or in attractions for example, in Canada the cast member does a 'spiel' before for movie starts: They talk about Canada, the film that's about to play and some interesting facts.
    I hope that makes sense?

I'm trying to think of more words like this, but all I can think of is how for Australian's Root means to have sex or something like that, and in Canada Roots is a huge clothing brand and they use to have it at the pavilion....

As for the fanny thing.... Canadians use it for bum as well (well not young canadians haha) and when I found out what it means in the UK it was great :) especially fanny packs, i never understood why some people wore them in the front (or at all really...)

5. mushu

mushu New Member

Oh yes.... fanny packs .... always been the cause of much amusement and some awkwardness when we go to Florida!

Know what you mean about bum bags too...

6. missginius

missginius Member

Thanks Kate, that helped me understand such a lot of things. Come to think of it, I may have stumbled across that word on your blog a few times, which I really enjoy reading by the way!
    love
    Gini

7. kate003

kate003 New Member

Aww thanks so much! That really means a lot. I'm glad that other people actually read it..sometimes I wonder as I can barely get my parents to read it :p

8. missginius

missginius Member

Well I read it and I'm so grateful for all the information!

9. Missish

Missish New Member

I haven't done the program yet, but I lived in Colorado for a year, so here's some that I can think of off the top of my head:
    (in UK-US format)

Fringe - Bangs
    Boot (of a car) - Trunk
    Handbag - Purse
    Trousers - Pants
    Pavement - Sidewalk
    Motorway - Freeway
    Coriander - Cilantro (honestly, cilantro is listed in SO MANY recipes/menus, and I had no idea it was coriander until a few weeks before I left. I kept wondering what this exotic plant was that Americans used so much, and how come it wasn't used anywhere in Britain!)

One I found amusing is that while we call an eraser a rubber, they use rubber for condom! Could be awkward!

10. MitchellC

MitchellC New Member

Haha, these are all awesome, thanks :D!
    Keep them coming :)!

11. Jeremy.west

Jeremy.west New Member

12. Keri_07

Keri_07 New Member

This is a great idea Mitchell :)

The only one I can think of is

Hot cocoa- Hot chocolate lol

Oh and candy for lollies :p

13. Einstien76

Einstien76 New Member

Come to think of it, I may have stumbled across that word on your blog a few times, which I really enjoy reading by the way!

14. Quirky Duckling

Quirky Duckling New Member

the pronunciation of aluminium makes me giggle. whilst at camp, telling the kids to put torches under their faces scared them!! as its not a torch, it is a flashlight. a torch to them is a fire torch.