Medical Insurance

Discussion in 'Accepted/Current CRP Participants' started by dannyrock4, May 3, 2007.

1. dannyrock4

dannyrock4 New Member

Can anyone give me advise on and good or cheap places to get my medical insure from, how much did you pay?

2. seanny boy

seanny boy New Member

i have been looking on-line and you can get insurance for £50 odd. if you don't know what to really look for look at the backpackers insurance as that seems to be the best for what we really need. i was looking at £80 thats less excess that you need to pay. www.1stoptravelinsurance.co.uk i hope that this is some help as it is very frustrating looking at insurance companies

3. stu_uk

stu_uk New Member

You know on the letter from Yummy on the bit about insurance it says 'a deductible not to exceed $500 per acident or illness'. Does that mean an excess less than $500?

4. stu_uk

stu_uk New Member

was just looking at that 1 stop travel insurance one and its pretty good and pretty cheap, but it doesnt cover things like delayed departure and hospital benefits which i guess would be important if you have to go to hospital.
    all these insurance things are confusing :-[

5. seanny boy

seanny boy New Member

i am just looking at the 1stop travel insurance website and that it say that backpacker includes medical expenses (which has to mean hospital - well you'd think any way) cancellation, baggage, legal expenses, missed departure...that one is £57.30 which seems good but i haven't read the small print yet

6. stu_uk

stu_uk New Member

Have a look below it. It says Hospital benefit - No cover

7. seanny boy

seanny boy New Member

8. dannyrock4

dannyrock4 New Member

ok thanks for that information, i will have a look at this website.

9. seanny boy

seanny boy New Member

10. linsey

linsey New Member

i've given in and have been studying the insurances with my dad. we've come to the conclusion that hospital benefit is mainly just the 'living' in hospital type of thing, that's why it's normally not covered or is only a few hundred pounds. things like food, newspapers, anything to make the stay comfortable. the staying in hospital because you're seriously ill thing is covered in the regular emergency medical money.

think i'm going with the backpackers insurance from 1stoptravelinsurance.co.uk rather than the one from www.acebackpackerinsurance.com

worried about repatriation level from the one from ace. it says 1,500 pounds and the visa requirement is 7,500 dollars. BUT it's more favourable to pre existing conditions. the 1stop one covers what everyone THINKS I have but not the other possibility they thought I might have. Other ones don't cover anything pre-existing from what I've read.

The SRI insurance says it doesn't cover pre existing illnesses so I'm not going for that one!

It's all so confusing trying to read through 28 pages of policy breakdown!

11. Chrissi

Chrissi New Member

Does any insurance cover that? I don't think so!

12. linsey

linsey New Member

the insurance I took covers some pre existing illnesses on a list of about 15, mine is one of them :) so I'm okay for that. it's why i took it in the end.

13. pinkspideruk

pinkspideruk Active Member

1stop doesnt cover my medical condition and wont give me insurance even if i declare it so i guess ill be looking elsewhere

14. j0hnyoung

j0hnyoung Guest

Has anyone had to get insurance for a year? If so how much did you pay? I've been looking all over and the cheapest i've found it about £280!

15. dannyrock4

dannyrock4 New Member

so how come you getting insurance for 1 year and not just the 4 months as disney pays for the rest?

16. j0hnyoung

j0hnyoung Guest

They don't on the j1 academic! You have to pay for the full year yourself! Its proper harsh i think..By the first week i get there ill have spent £2,000..thats for flight, 2/3 of my tuition fees, insurance, visa and program assessment fee..

17. dannyrock4

dannyrock4 New Member

yeah so that is harsh, so what is this program your on then, where excatly do you work and doing what and for how long? (many questions) lol ;D

18. j0hnyoung

j0hnyoung Guest

J1 Academic Program..Its for a year as well..and im doing outdoor foods and vacation planner..Just need to sort my insurance... :'( I don't go for 2 months 3 weeks n 5 days! haha..But im tryin to get things sorted because i go on holiday in the middle of that!

19. dannyrock4

dannyrock4 New Member

Oh ok then, so as ive got the Q1 visa, would i be able to apply for the J1 visa and go back again, ::)

20. tiggercharlotte

tiggercharlotte New Member

Personally I thought the Disney insurance was a bit rubbish and I extended my insurance that I had already for the first 4 months (STA Travel). The Disney one doesn't seem to cover very much to me, unless you get one of the more expensive options, so although I never needed it in the end, I was more at ease knowing that I was well covered in case anything did happen, and at a cheaper cost. It is possible to opt out of Disney insurance- in fact you get about $7 a week rebate for doing so! If you have a family ie partner and kids Disney insurance looks a much better deal but since that doesn't apply to 99.99% of IPs its not so great! That's my opinion anyhow!
    Charlotte x