Merchandise or Guest Relations?

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Discussion' started by Dan, Sep 13, 2004.

1. Dan

Dan New Member

Hey all

I currently work at UK Pavilion, Epcot, in Merch. I wanna go work on the Cruise next year after my contract.

I'm torn between applying for Merch again, or Guest Relations.

Which would you all go for? Is Guest Relations a nice job to have?

Dan :)

2. vistaway

vistaway New Member

Guest relations is certainly a nicer onboard lifestyle, although merch isn't bad at all. Neither will have you earning anywhere near the money that dining room or housekeeping will, however you will not be working nearly as many hours (or as hard).

Because the merch locations are not generally allowed to open when the ship is docked, you are either off, stocking, or working on Castaway Cay during most days. The shops are open until 11 or 12 when at sea, I believe.

Guest relations is open 24-hours, so I would imagine that there would be a 3-shift rotation or similar.

I worked dining room for two contracts and my cabin was near the merch folks...and it always seemed they were in the halls drinking when we were heading to or from work!

Oh, and even more so than at WDW, these various departments - merch, dining room, etc - do not generally mix...it can get quite clique-y.

Andy

3. Dan

Dan New Member

Cheers Andy

I do fancy working in GR because it's something new. I don't really want to work in Food at all, although being a server would be interesting. I've worked in a retail enviroment all my life and I'm not sure whether to stick with what I know or not!

Well, I have until January to think about it!

Dan :)

4. Rudy

Rudy New Member

eh up yorkshire lad,

how's the u.k pavillion? it's been a while...

unless your multi-lingual you might find it hard to get a job in guest relations, i'm trying for Merchandise at the moment (even though i was f & b in E.P.C.O.T)

Seefar Associated recruit for DCL in the U.K and have ever since it started (not f&b positions) they're address is...

Seefar Associates
    7 Berkley Crescent
    Gravesend
    Kent
    DA12 2AH

Hope that helps anyone!

yorkshire lass x ;D

5. soleil plage

soleil plage Guest

hey there!
    ..hmm... guest relations (got a friend in it right now and loves it onboard the Magic!) - try and get yourself sorted in the States because Seefar Ass. don't really seem to see much further than Merchandise Host or Children's Councellor.

- If you can hack working with kids everyday do it! - gives you more variety (and you don't have to up-sell - which can sometimes be painfull- as your DCL managers have tighter targets than in the parks!!!)

Merchandise Host for other companies tend to get a better deal than with Disney - they sometimes work on commission which can be quite lucrative.
    my mate who's in Merch on P&O gets time off everytime the ship docks - none of this stocking stores or working on Castaway Cay lark! - she really gets the same time off on shore as the customers!

Good Luck with your application - keep us posted
    :)

6. shannypooh2

shannypooh2 New Member

Hi There,
    I was in Merch. at EPCOT in the Canada Pavilion from Dec.98 to 99 and have been working in merch. on the Wonder since March 2000. I am now an Assistant Manager and can tell you that it is a great experience but the pace is much faster than in the parks. We typically work a little over 70 hrs a week. Sometimes more, sometimes less. We do work late nights and early mornings which can be hard. Our time off tends to be during the day while we are in port. Sea days have us working 9am to almost 1am by the time we have recovered. And we do work half days on Castaway Cay twice per week.
    As for Guest Services, you must have hotel experience and speaking a second language would be an advantage. GS are now considered Crew and therefor have te same benefits as Merch. ie. eating in the crew mess, having housekeeping twice weekly, guest area privleges etc. They do work shifts and have 2 weeks of overnights maybe twice per 6 month contract. Money is about the same but there is opportunity to make more in Merch. based on sales and guest service scores on a quarterly basis.

Hope this helps you make a decision!
    If you have any other questions please feel free to email me!
    Good Luck,
    Shannon

7. T-belle

T-belle New Member

Just have one question......................These priveledges you're talking about....Do they differ from what position you have??? I'll be working as a Nursery Counselor and i just wonder what i have to expect..

Thanks

8. gismo1554

gismo1554 New Member

Ok does anyone know who you need to apply for for f+b UK positions? I was given a number 0870 240 5208 but no one ever seems to answer. Sea far associates only accept people with experience in merch or customer relations. Anyone any ideas???

9. Rudy

Rudy New Member

cti group were supposed to recruit for f & b positions but when i sent off my cv to their address it got returned to me as if they'd shut down, will have an ask around!

;D

10. Rudy

Rudy New Member

hello

the phone number is the same but here's an up to date address etc for cti group

CTI group London
    pinewood house,
    london road send?
    surrey
    gu23 7jx

tel: 44 0870 240 5208
    fax: 44 0148 322 5844

CTI-Europe@cti-usa.com

i presume they still recruit f & b positions, failing that, contact the disney offices

3 queen caroline street,
    hammersmith,
    london,
    W6 9PE

;D

11. T

T New Member

Hey T-Belle,
    The privleges on board do differ depending on which dept you are in. As a nursery counselor you will have full access to guest areas (in Disney look), housekeeping twice a week, you'll eat in the crew mess and share a cabin with another youth activities counselor, life guard or cruise staff but it is possible to request to live with a friend if they are in the same dept. I'm working on the Magic as a programming/youth activities counselor so feel free to ask if you have any other questions.

12. gismo1554

gismo1554 New Member

Just one little question, did you get sea sickness?

13. T-belle

T-belle New Member

Thanks T.....
    I got some more questions........
    What is the "normal" daily routine on the ship? How many days of training do we have i Orlando and can we request which one of the ships we would like to work on?
    And what should i bring?

14. shannypooh2

shannypooh2 New Member

Yes, some of the crew do get sea sick but we have sea bands which really help and it does get easier. You also learn what helps you cope with it. I find if I have eaten and keep moving I am okay. Others just wear the sea bands when we have rough seas. It's not a big deal and we rarely encounter rough seas. But it really depends on the person.

Hope this helps
    Shannon ;)

15. shannypooh2

shannypooh2 New Member

I'm not sure of the exact recruiting agency for the UK, but have you tried the DCL jobs website? It is www.dcljobs.com. That site has many of the agencies listed worldwide.

Good luck,
    Shannon

16. T

T New Member

As a nursery counselor you will be working a lot of split shifts (ie morning and evenings). We usually work 70 hours a week, working longer hours on sea days so that we can have a little time off when we are in port. "Traditions", the on shore Disney training runs for 3 days (Wed, Thurs, Fri) and then depending on which ship you are sent to you will either board on Saturday (the Magic) or Sunday (the Wonder). When on the ship you will have 1 week of intensive onboard training which includes all of your safety training and on the job training. Don't worry they don't expect you to know everything after your first week. As for what to bring, remember that you will share a very small room with someone and for the majority of the day you will be wearing your costume.

17. gismo1554

gismo1554 New Member

Thanks for that. makes me feel a lot better about considering going knowing that other crew members get sea sick.