Merchandise

Discussion in 'Walt Disney World College Program' started by Spaztaz, Apr 23, 2006.

1. Spaztaz

Spaztaz New Member

Hey

Right I know this thread has probably been done like a thousand times but can people give me some info on what to expect during the summer in my position as a merchandise host?
    Is the uniform alright?
    I am bored tonight sorry if this thread is getting boring haha!

Keir

2. stu_uk

stu_uk New Member

im in merch too and i think like most positions the costume changes depending on your location

3. stu_uk

stu_uk New Member

from another website:

'The pros are that you get good guest interaction, depending on where you are working you can watch the fireworks, you get to see the new merchandise before it is released to the public, you can be deployed to other places and see other parks. When you pick up extra hours you arent stuck to your area, you can go ANYWHERE on property.

The cons.....you get guest interaction (haha), when you are working a store at the exit of an attraction you will be asked 101 times why the ride isn't working, why they cannot get a fastpass...blah blah pretty much stuff that you cannot answer, the hours are horrible, if you close you can be one of the last groups out of the park. Emporium leaves approx 2-3 hours AFTER park close.

It is just like any retail job really. There is the good and the bad.'

4. DisneyGibbs

DisneyGibbs Active Member

Let me just say.... the Emporiam STILL leaves earlier than the Main Street Bakery :p

5. Spaztaz

Spaztaz New Member

and that means what hahaha?

6. KC

KC New Member

It means Lou is bitching that even though the Merch people have to stay at work for ages after the park closes, SHE has to stay longer than them.

;)

7. DisneyGibbs

Yeah... stay in school kids... or you'll end up in F&B at Disney....

Just kidding :p Main Street shops are open later than the rest of the park, but the MS Bakery and Cone shop are open for that little bit longer.. and closing takes aaaaaaaaaaaages...like tonight.

Grrrrrrrrr so many people called in, only one of the original closers worked :mad: so therefore I was extended, and I so wanted to leave at doors too :'(

8. DisneyGibbs

I just realised that most of that probably meant nothing to most people. Hehe

9. *amy*

*amy* New Member

i imagine the uniform to be a blue polo shirt safari style shorts (yikes) and big clod hopper (bulky haha) shoes

10. louise

louise New Member

Hi. I'm merch too and i think itll be good although i guess it depends on where you end up working. Steamboat willie i'll be arriving the same day as you so maybe we will have training together.

11. kristol

kristol New Member

I put merch in first place and F&B in second, so I still don't know what where i'm going to be working.

I know in F&B ur earning a little more money, I thought is was like 50 cent extra or so.

12. Ona

Ona Member

I can join this thread now! Just been accepted for merch & attractions on June 18th. ;D

I did merch on the IP back in 2003 and I quite enjoyed it. It can be many things... But mostly, merch is what you make it. :)

You will have lots of guest contact (that's why I enjoyed it) which can be a positive and a negative aspect of the job :D. You can be rushed off your feet, or bored to tears. You could be freezin in the AC or. roasting on a cart. You could be selling giant inflatable balls of $4000 peices of artwork. You may be dressed as a space training cadet or a victorian.

Until you find out your work location, there's really no way to tell what kind of crazy things you'll be doing. ;D

Merch training (merchantainment) isn't bad as classes go. You'll be scanning piglet like a thousand times Lol! ;D

If you guys have any specific questions, I'm sure I can try and help. Ask away. :)

Ona x

13. stu_uk

stu_uk New Member

congratulations ona ;)

14. kristol

kristol New Member

wow u get to do two jobs :D:D F&B and MERCH

that's awesome

15. monkian

monkian New Member

i am so looking forward to working in Merch!!! i think it wil be great...although the thought of working on a cart does scare me! oh its gonna be so much fun!!!!

16. kristol

kristol New Member

working on a cart???

17. Ona

Ona Member

Kristol, I'm doing merch & then attractions (no F&B). It's like two long CPs joined togeter. :D

Ana, look after my cart. :'( :'( :'( Ma wee pin cart (I was UK pin rep.). She can be a tempremantal ole' girl, and she's not too fond of the old wind & rain, but I miss her so much. :'(

Ona x

18. monkian

monkian New Member

cool...pin cart... i will take the best of care.....er does she have a name perchance?

19. hayleycward

hayleycward New Member

Hiya i'm new to this site, i'm gonna be working on merchandise from the 25th June. Is anyone flying out then??

20. Ona

Ona Member

Ana, alas no. She doesn't have name but I'm sure if you wanna name her, she wouldn't be adverse to the idea. ;D

Ona x