October 19th 2010 Arrivals

Discussion in 'Accepted/Current CRP Participants' started by dreamcometrue, Apr 8, 2010.

1. dspringa

dspringa Member

My last day is October 8th... I wanted the Thanksgiving weekend off and then a week to get packed up, etc. I'm kind of OCD when it comes to packing. I have to know whats in every single box/suitcase. Plus I think they're kind of anal about that stuff when you cross the border on-land. Wouldn't be too surprised if they opened up and searched all my packing...

But no I'm not stopping anywhere. My last going-out night is Oktoberfest on the 16th, and then I'll be leaving on the 18th to get down there for the 19th. I've done the drive down many times so I know I won't be missing too much... haha

2. blackcatuk

blackcatuk New Member

Not long to go now!!! In just over 5 weeks we'll be chilling out in Florida!!

3. KatLou26

KatLou26 New Member

So close! Loved our little visa day, was exciting to know that that's one of the last steps :)!

Good that you'll have a bit of time off before heading down...I forgot about border security though- have fun with that! Feel sorry for you having to drive all that way, how long will it take? I'm excited for the flight over, even if it is 9 hours! x x x

4. dspringa

dspringa Member

The drive is 22 hours, straight. I'll be stopping overnight though because I know I won't be able to go it all at once by myself, even if I have RedBulls with me!

5. KatLou26

KatLou26 New Member

yeah, and you'd be knackered when you arrive too! I just can't wait to get there now, it's going to be so much fun and I can't wait to meet everyone. x x

6. KatLou26

KatLou26 New Member

ONE MONTH!!! X X X

7. dspringa

dspringa Member

omg I am having anxietyyyy. I can't believe it's come up this quick. I've started to have "moving to Disney" dreams :D

8. KatLou26

KatLou26 New Member

that's ok, me too! Tori and I were nervous going to the embassy to get visas...I'll be dreadful when I'm on the plane...

Has everyone got things prepared? I have bought some suitcases now, and had a practise with some vacuum bags earlier too...I've never had so much fun...

x x x

9. dspringa

dspringa Member

vacuum bags are THE BEST. saved my life when I moved to Calgary a couple summers ago.

I have to get a bunch of car repairs and start going through my summer clothes to pack up. Still have to get medical insurance :S hopefully it's not too expensive... thank goodness I'm off for the next couple days.

OT: I went to my first rugby game the other night! My boyfriend plays for his university's team, and it was brutal! I learned the gist of the game pretty quickly but it's super rough eh! I thought I could handle it because I love hockey fights, but there's much more crunching in rugby! :D

10. KatLou26

KatLou26 New Member

Yeah wouldn't be able to pack very much without them for sure.

Rugby...what a sport...used to go watch my dad play when I was younger- luckily he never had too many injuries but it is rough! It's even better when it's freezing cold/ wet...

How's the weather in Toronto atm? It's freezing here in the UK, well not freezing but it's definitely below 20...the other day where I live the max was 14...we switched the heating on. Although it's meant to be getting a little bit warmer this week, hopefully!

x x x

11. dspringa

dspringa Member

Yeah and his team plays on turf, which I think would be much less fun than real grass and mud. I wanna see him all muddy afterwards! hahaha.

Right now it's about 15. Been fall weather for a couple weeks now. Tomorrow will be 18 and Tuesday will be 27! Funny weather around these parts right now, haha. Wish I wasn't working on Tuesday so I could go to the beach one last time! Alas, I'll have tons of time to do that in ONE MONTH. I was looking at the Commons on Google Maps, pretty cool. We're really close to the Orlando Premium outlets which I googled and looked at the store listing... I will be dropping some well earned dough there for SURE!

12. dspringa

dspringa Member

Also, I just planned my route.

Leaving Cambridge, Ontario, Canada at 6am on the 18th, then driving 16 hours to Atlanta, Georgia, USA, and staying overnight. Then leaving at 6AM to get to Disney for 2pm on the 19th!

13. KatLou26

KatLou26 New Member

wow your weather is so variable!!!

I don't envy your long drive, although does sound quite fun. I'm glad all I have to do is get on a plane...although you'll have the advantage of a car! I've done that with google maps too- I can't wait for the shopping, although I reckon I'm gonna miss uk shops too! Florida Mall is meant to be good to go to aswell. I'm excited for american foods too, and walmart.

Myself and Jenna will get in later on as we don't land until 4.05...going to be a long day as I'll probably leave home 8.30 english time... x x x

14. kmp189

kmp189 New Member

That is a long day! Hope your drive goes well :). The weather here is rubbish now! Going to work at 4am is just ridiculous, people are now bringing coats and scarves to work! x

15. dspringa

dspringa Member

Florida Mall is the BEST! And the Mall At Millenia is good too. It's so bizarre to think there are places in the world without Wal-Mart! I can't imagine living without one. Target is like Wal-Mart but more stylish.

16. KatLou26

KatLou26 New Member

Oooh, that makes me excited- I'm a proper girly girl who loves shopping- just need a few pay cheques first!

Well our supermarket chain Asda is owned by wal-mart- but it's just not the same. Tesco owns most of the UK supermarket trade here...although we have a few to choose from!

The other brits will agree, but I'm really going to miss Marks and Spencer, especially their food!! I reckon being in america is going to be more of a culture shock that I thought!

4 WEEKS!! x x

17. dspringa

dspringa Member

Hey everyone! Hope your prep is going well. I feel like I'm drowning in all the things I need to do, but I'm getting a bunch of stuff done today which is good. Can't believe it's only a couple weeks and a few days away now. I remember when my little countdown thing said like 120 days or something. Time fliiiiies!

ANYHOW, this is the important/interesting part: I called Kristen today because I need a Disney address to put on a form I need to fill out up here, and I was just looking for like 1 DisneyWorld Drive, Orlando or something just to pacify the form but the said she'd give me the address of WHERE I'D BE LIVING, and proceeded to give me the address of 8050 Gables Commons Drive, which is the address for the Commons housing complex. She told me I could also give that address to friends and family members so they can send me mail to be picked up at the front desk. Sooooo, it looks like I'm in the Commons housing! Kat, I remember reading that you heard some people were being put in Vista and Chatham? I hope we all end up in the Commons together!

18. KatLou26

KatLou26 New Member

argggh!! hey Darcie + others!! I'm getting so excited/ nervous now! 19 days!! My dentist was even getting excited for me this morning!

Ooooh that sounds good re. housing. We have that address on our landing cards and were told we could be placed anywhere still, but judging she said you could get your mail sent there I guess you're lucky!! Hope I'm there too!

Yeah quite a few of the 21st Sep people got vista/chatham....but I'm guessing it might be because they're still getting rid of summer people. They will be moved at some point though to be with other CRP people. I really want Commons, and wouldn't mind Patterson. But commons seems to be where everything happens!!

Have you chatted to many of the other canadians? When we got sent the emails the UK people have started emailing which is nice- looks like there's 7 of us- 6 girls, 1 boy!! But I can't wait to meet everyone!! x x x

19. dspringa

dspringa Member

Not really too many, talked to some starting on Nov 2nd. Everyone I've talked to has mostly been on here or facebook.

Yesterday I was daydreaming about when I'll be all packed up and pulling out of my driveway and I got really emotional! It's SO SOON and I'm excited, but it's such a huge change that I haven't really let it hit me yet. My college was an hour away from my home so I could come home on weekends whenever I wanted, but now I won't be able to and it's kind of scary. Going out at night and working a lot will take my mind off it, we're all going to become a new family-away-from-family, which is going to be monumental in curbing homesickness.

20. KatLou26

KatLou26 New Member

Yeah same, I'm more of a facebooker than emailer. And on here too, because you can read loads of useful stuff! It's really helped me to decide what to do half the time!!

Yeah, for me it's the whole year thing...I've only really thought about up to christmas! Yeah I agree with keeping busy to stop feeling like I'm away from home. UK people have lasses every Monday (girls night out)- do you know what the canadian version is like?

I can't wait to spend time with just everyone- from all the pavilions! And see all the parks again!! x x