PST Training

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Discussion' started by disney-dude, Feb 8, 2013.

1. disney-dude

disney-dude New Member

Hi just a quick question has anyone done their PST (water training) recently? Just wondered where you did it? Also, did you have to do the "stay afloat and upright in the water for one minute with no life-vest on" thing?

Thanks

2. roxy84

roxy84 New Member

I didn't do it recently (mine was in 2007), but when I left in 2011 they were doing it at castaway cay (unless your ship didn't stop there - then it was done at a pool prior to getting on the ship). This might have changed, not sure.

Have you checked the DCL youtube channel? they have a video of it (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QA9mgSIEKA) I remember flipping the life raft, swimming in an emersion suit, doing group floatation formations, and yes having to stay afloat without a life vest. I used to be a lifeguard so it was quite easy. We had a few non swimmers but everyone passed.

3. disney-dude

disney-dude New Member

cool thanks, yeah i seen the link, not a strong swimmer just wanted to check they still did the floatation test thing cool cool thanks :)

4. CanadianPrinceton

CanadianPrinceton New Member

Hey I did my PST training about 3 months ago in LA and I watched the ones they currently do - everyone passes really, unless you've never ever been in the water in your life or are incredibly afraid of water (which begs the question, why work on a ship really). We did ours at El Camino College just by Los Angeles in Torrance - you definitely do have to tread water unaided and without a life vest for at LEAST one minute after jumping feet first into the water, and be able to swim back to your starting point. This is all timed with a stopwatch/clock too, so be aware!

5. disney-dude

disney-dude New Member

thanks appreciate the advice

6. Mr T

Mr T New Member

Hi I did my PST about 2 weeks ago, most of the ships that call at cast a way will do their pst there, Im confident in the water so maybe my experience / opinion is biased but I loved PST, you have to jump off the pier in to the water, learn survial techniques, take your life jacket off and remain afloat for a short period of time its like a minute or something and put your life jacket back on in the water, you nned to flip a life raft and climb in to a life raft unaided. you need to climb out of the water get in an emersion suit and jump off the pier again.

I had fun Its not as scary as it sounds, they have officers in the water with you and if your not confident your given a different colour life vest and someone generally stays with you all the time.

7. disney-dude

disney-dude New Member

thanks that's really helpful, need to get the hang of treading water, the rest I am fine with. Have my visa, medical, crbs done so hopefully i will have a date soon