Questions of work and recruitment at Disney.

Discussion in 'Applicants Discussion' started by Mulan, Oct 18, 2004.

1. Mulan

Mulan New Member

Hello to every one on the board!
    I'm new around here, and my English might be a litte strange
    but I hope for some answers to my questions... ???

1)I was thinking to apply for the "International Hospitality Program"
       but on the web, it said "This program is not currently offered"
       is it impossible to apply?

2)Is there any big difference from the "Cultural Representative Program",
       besides the place to work?

3)I have only little information about the work and wages, about how much are you paied?
       And what is the work like?(F&B, Attractions, Merchandise, Front Office Operations,
       Theme Park Guest Relations  etc.)
        (I'm not sure if I can ask this. The people at Tokyo Disney never talks about wages.)
        (If it  is not appropriate, please tell me so.)

4)Are these programs like a one-year contract employment, or is it like an intern?

5)Is it possible to be employed, long-term? How could I apply?
       And is it hard to get threw the recruiting test and interveiw just by myself?

I'm so far away from FL, and anxious if I'm able to apply.
    I have lived in the US when I was little, but I'm worried if I am able to
    live and work in the US. I feel that my English is poor.
    But it would be a "dream come true" if I was able to work at Disney.
    I hope that I could get some advice to encourage my self to apply.
    Sorry for asking so much at once, and I hope for replies. Thank you !! :D

2. ellen101

ellen101 New Member

If your spoken English is as good as your written English you definitely don't need to worry about that bit!!! :D

Other people can probably answer your questions better than me since I'm not there yet, but I'd say go for it....if you really want it, just apply!! :D

GOOD LUCK and all the best with it

Ellen x :D

3. DigitalPhear

DigitalPhear New Member

Hey Mulan,

Im not sure what the differences are between the two programs...everyone I know is applying for the international Program anyways...but then..thats probably because the other program is cancelled :p

As far as pay structures go this is what Ive heard: Merch & attractions people get something around $7 US an hour...people in F&B (if your a server) get something like$2.20 an hour plus tips. In a nice epcot restaraunt you might be looking at like $100 + dollars a night.

Either way your looking at only like $60-$77 dollars a week to live there (not including food) so its not that bad of a deal. Especially considering your living at WDW.

The IP porgram is a 1 year contract, but from what I understand you can leave early, but then Disney wont reimburse you for your travel expenses. So its not like they totally own you for that whole year.

As far as long term employment....I havent heard anyone from the IP program landing a permanent job with Disney. I dont know if this is because nobody has tried or what, but I do know it is hard to get a perminant working visa for the states. Thats something Im going to try and weasle my way into once Im down there.

I doubt any of this was helpfull :p but either way, I think you should apply...like Ellen said, if your spoken english is as good as your written then dont even worry about it.

Its a once in a lifetime opportunity to work in Disney, dont let anything stop you from at least applying :D

4. RichardGandy

RichardGandy New Member

Currently the International Hospitality Program is not offered although there may be plans to bring this back sometime in the future. There are two reasons why this was stopped,
    1) because of September 11th
    2) they used a J-1 visa and there was a lot of problems with other companies abusing this type of Visa and Disney did not want to be seen to be caught up in this at all

The biggest differences were where you worked and the type of jobs that you did. The cultural representative program basically allows you to work in your countries pavillion and nowhere else (because of the Visa). As such you are limited in the departments depending on what that pavillion has (ie Norway and Mexico have attractions but the UK does not). In the Hospitality Program there was more emphasise on hospitality so you would work Food and Beverage or a department at a resort such as front desk. These programs were 18 months but because of the Visa it had to be related to study. (If you're in the UK, Jason from Yummy Jobs did both the Hospitality Program and the Management Program so he will have loads of info, although bear in mind they don't offer this program)

As mentioned already, its extremely difficult to stay in the US after your contract because of Visa restrictions. I know of some people who married Americans and stayed that way but there are few alternatives. Disney will not employ you if you do not have a work permit. Most people are happy to leave to some degree at the end of their contract. All the friends you make over the year will leave and you will find that the social life plays a big role in experiences there.

As for money, there is a set wage regardless of age, experience etc. People in a tipped position get paid less cause they can make up this money in tips. There are some exceptions such as extra money for training someone, handling money etc. but most people don't have to worry about that (besides its like 50 cents an hour).

CM's in food and beverage tend to have more money to spend and go out and go on trips because of the wages, although few people struggle to feed themselves.

Hope this helps

Rich

5. Mulan

Mulan New Member

Thank you!!

Thanks for your replies!!!
    It reeeeeeeeeeeally helps!!!
    I'm so happy to get some answers to my questions :D

I'm thinking to apply for the "Cultural Representative Program".
    I'll challenge fot the "International Hospitality Program" on another opportunity,
    for it seems that Jason has experienced two programs!!
    (if I have luck that is.... ;))

So I have more questions from the form!! ;D

1>I have only experience part-time jobs. (employment terms are mostly under a year.)
        Am I able to write this experience on the "Employment History"??

2>How do I prove my "legal right of working in the U.S"?
        Do I have to have a greencard? Or prove skills??(what kind of skills??)

I have heard that some people that went to the U.S on an intern program,
    ended up working in a company in the U.S!! (ex. Seatles Mariners)
    So I thought it might be possible...
    Now I see it is quite unusual to work in the U.S...
    but at least I'll try!!
    Right now I have to fill in my Application form.

By the way...what is a J-1 visa?
    I tried to find out, but couldn't.

Mulan

6. RichardGandy

RichardGandy New Member

Part time jobs are fine to put on your employment history but a point of advice would be that too many part time jobs may give the impression that you can't stick out one job for long.

Currently you have no legal right to work in the US. This is basically a Visa which will be sponsered by Disney if you get the job. You won't have a green card and you don't need to prove any skills. This is different from a Disney application and refers more to general Visa reqirements and long term resident applications. Provided you have a clean police record you and meet the age requirements (between 18 and 26(ish)) you souldn't have any problem gaining a visa.

A J-1 visa is a student visa. Some of the participant countries (ie Mexico, France etc) use these. For those internationals employeed directly by Disney you will be on a Q-1 visa which is a cultural representative visa. You may not find any information on these as they are used almost exclusively by Disney.

Some companies do take on international interns. Disney is currently not one of these.

Rich

7. Mulan

Mulan New Member

How was Disney Life?

Thank you for your advice!!

So, to the question
    "prove your legal right of working in the U.S"
    it is OK to put a check on the NO box?
    Is that correct??
    And the what kind of step do I take,to get the Visa?
    Will Disney do it all, or do I have to do something?

By the way, how was the life at Disney??
    What kind of good things, or bad things did everyone experience??
    Would you tell me some stories of the life at Disney.
    Just for reference!!
    I have no idea what it will be like.
    (or should I wait for the suprize!! ;D)

Mulan

8. Tazzy

Tazzy New Member

Hiya :)

Just one little correction, the pay for Mech & Attraction is $6.70 and F&B $2.20 mention above sounds right. The only thing about tips is that your have to do really well to get good tips. As far as staying longer then one year, but only if 1) they really need you at the end of your contract and 2) if you are a really really good worker. If you decided not to work longer, you can stay in the US for 30 days after your contract is done. Only catch to that is you would have to find a place to stay because you wouldn't be able to stay at the commons after your contract is done.

BTW I know the pay amount because I was at the Disney interview last Thursday and I have in the papers that they gave me lol :)

Anyhows, go apply, I don't think your have any problem applying at all :) Hope this helps!

Gary

9. cinderelli.jessy

cinderelli.jessy New Member

hello everybody,

I am a german girl, who has its interview in munich on october 27th! Just in case they r asking me whether I would prefer to work in the merch. area or f&b , id say f&b. But what if we "only" get 2,20$ per hour and dont get enough tips?? Is it possible to survive at the commons, or do we usually get enough for living??? ???
    Just wondering!!!!!!!! :p
    anyways, I am really excited about this whole interview and it would be nice to get an answer!

Jessy

10. flavour

flavour New Member

well, when i was there the pay was even less, and we survived! i worked in merch and towards the end they cut our hours, but it was still no prob! you will def. survive in the commons! i was happy though that i had saved up some money before, so i could afford some more trips and some more shopping! hehe! and even though our hourly pay was more than in foods, at the end of the week they had more money!

later! flavour xoxo

11. Mulan

Mulan New Member

About Commons...

Hi everyone!!
    I was quite busy and couldn't make time to
    see this board :'(
    but at last, I made time!!

This time I wanted to ask about Commons.
    The rent was about $77~65,
    but does this include electricity and water
    and other stuff like that?
    Also, how is it having a computer in your own room??
    Do you think is't nessesary?

I'm really helped by this board
    Thanks!! :D

12. flavour

flavour New Member

in your rent everything's included...electricity, water (can shower as long as you want! yeah!)

there's a little computer lab in the commons, but that's only 5 or 6 computer. back then our whole apt. shared web-tv, internet connected to your tv, was about $5 or $10 a month...basically you don't need a computer, but it depends on how addicted you are! ;) maybe someone who was there just recently can tell you more about that!

later! flavour xoxo