Residing in FL?

Discussion in 'Applicants Discussion' started by Jack!, Jul 11, 2012.

1. Jack!

Jack! New Member

So, I was just wondering, do you know if many people actually decide to move to FL after their program? And if so or if you know any personally or are planning on doing so yourself, is it easy to do and what's it like cost wise?

:)

2. SarahRad

SarahRad New Member

Well I think your main issue would be getting a visa to be in the states. I know they're hard to come by if one of your parents isn't American or you aren't doing a contracted job (like Disney).

But if you can acquire the right visa, I've heard Florida is pretty standard when it comes to living costs. And there's lots of jobs due to the tourism industry.

3. ScottishJen

ScottishJen Member

Its not easy at all to just move to the States, you can't move without a visa and as SarahRad says, they are not easy to come by. Normally you would need to be offered a job and have the company be willing to sponser your visa application - this is what Disney does for the CRP. Not many companies will do that as why would they want to pay money for a visa sponsership and be restricted by its terms, when theres millions of people that could do the same job. The CRP is different because they need people from the countries to work there, its not a job that can be done by an American. The visa for the CRP states exactly how long you have in the country, the minimum amount of hours you have to work in a week and has conditions - for example, not being allowed to work in a different part of the parks or even wearing a different uniform.
    There's so much other things to think about as well. The big one is health care costs. In the UK we are extremely lucky to have the NHS and can just go to the doctors or A&E or receive free or reduced dental costs. In Florida you would have to pay for all of this by yourself and it costs a scary amount of money. You can get health insurance but again you still need to pay a lot of money out and its unlikely to cover everything.
    At a time where unemployment is so high there won't be many employers willing to take on a foreigner and pick up the costs and the US embassy will be pretty tight on visas. I think before you start dreaming about moving there, you should wait to do the ICP or CRP which would give you a more realistic picture of what to expect. In the meantime there's plenty to enjoy about life in the UK! We might not have the Florida weather but there's a lot to be thankful for. Although we all moan about it, our government really does take care of us with the NHS, benefits, education, etc. If you apply for the CRP, the purpose is to represent your country and they really look down on people talking about being desperate to move to the states.

I realise this might sound mean but I think its better to tell things straight so you can put your energy towards things that are achievable! Just getting onto the CRP is a long and stressful process but you would be better to concentrate on that as it is achievable :)

4. forloveofmusic

forloveofmusic New Member

All that ScottishJen just said is true. I am one of the few that stayed in America after their program but it was an extremely costly feat. I married an American during my program and the amount of paperwork I had to do to get a Green card is extensive. Not to mention it cost about $2000 (for the GC alone. That does not include the wedding or anything).

The other way, like Jen said, to live in America is if a company sponsors you. American companies, especially in this economic age, don't like to do this often, as they have to do very similar paperwork that I did and pay for the process. So unless it's in a field like medicine or science or something highly specialized like that where they can't find someone as qualified as you are, they prefer to employ an American instead, understandably.

I obviously do not regret making the permanent move to the US, but it is something you have to give serious thought to, as it is not a cheap endeavor. Cost of living is pretty low, yes, but Florida has one of the highest unemployment rates in the country (I live in Texas atm) and health insurance costs an arm and a leg. Throw in the other arm and leg if you have to go to the ER and don't have insurance.

5. ScottishJen

ScottishJen Member

thanks forloveofmusic for adding in here! I was wondering if my message would come off as a negative! Getting a visa to the States has always been difficult, but with the added pressures of the recession, has become even harder! We are lucky in the UK that we are a part of the EU and can travel around with little worries but it gets much more difficult once you leave the EU. Sadly, I can't imagine this stance to change for a long time, because if they were to loosen up on immigration then the flood gates would open, and could once again put the country in financial danger

6. Once again, what Jen has said is quite true. It is very hard to get a green card to stay in the US for good. But I would say if it is something that you want to do then work towards achieving it. There are many other ways, not just being sponsored by a US company. For example if you have a degree in many subjects this can be enough to start the application process for the green card, they give out a certain amount every year to different fields of employment. Since I dont the programme many years ago, quite a few people have stayed in the US, some got married and others found different ways. I also know a few who have come home and decided to finish UNI and then go back. So like I say, it is something that can be done. But it will take quite a bit of time.