Ride closures during ICP stay

Discussion in 'Accepted/Current ICP Participants' started by the_anarky_boy, Jan 15, 2009.

1. the_anarky_boy

the_anarky_boy New Member

It has been recently announced that Space Mountain will be closed from April 19th till late 2009 for new track and roof repairs. Due to the extent of the rehab the Tomorrowland Transit Authority will be closed from the same date, till August 19th.

Both will be sorely missed during my stay.

So, whats everyone elses reaction.

2. *PennyCrayon*

*PennyCrayon* New Member

I think its a real shame as i was really looking forward to going on these particular rides considering I've only managed to go on TTA once and space mountain only once without people on the ride complaining. But i can definately see why space mountain needs updating as the last time i went on it o.... id say about 6 years ago we all thought it could do with a refurb as the tracks were very screechy so i dread to think what its like now! i hope its like WDLP as that one is really good. Again a really shame but hopefully those of us going on the 21st might get to go on it on our last day = awesomeness ;D

3. Andy0228

Andy0228 New Member

At least it's not Splash Mountain closing, that would make me cry most heartily. Salty tears of woe...

And yey for TTA opening again on 19th August, still gives some of us a whole 9 days to go on it.

4. nemo

nemo New Member

I have only been to Disney once and so haven't been on Space Mountain or TTA so i'm pretty upset!

And i too am glad that its not Splash Mountain, becasue that was closed when I went last year!

5. katiej22

katiej22 New Member

I am also gutted TTA is closed, one of my favourite rides!!
    I hope they don't make it like the one in Paris Kirsty - going upside down makes me feel really ill :(
    and I've only been on space mountain once - didn't like it much (felt dizzy after), but I would like the option to go....

But Splash and Thunder mountain will now have much longer lines :(
    xx

6. leomgray

leomgray New Member

I would be the same if splash mountain closed, i love that ride.

I will be able to ride TTA cause im there until the 28th which is great.

7. vik

vik New Member

they wont acutally change the track because there wouldn't be enough space to do it in there cos its actually a very small space, designed for the specific roller coaster style, which is an old fashioned steel coaster rather than a hydaulic powered one like in paris. (yes i know some geeky stuff about roller coasters)
    last summer they were going to close it but then they didnt for some reason, and a guy that worked on it the previous year as a CP told me the main reason is simply because they need to completely redo the computer system that it operates on because it is the oldest rollercoaster computer system in the world, like one step away from being manual!
    its a shame really that when we all eventually get to go on it it wont really be any different, but maybe they'll change the queue area too or something.... ;)

8. From what I heard they were updating the system which I am hoping maybe means a faster coaster. That would make it quite short though :-\ They really do need to oil the tracks and breaks though lol they are reallly screechy! I think they are updating the queue area and the bits you go through to exit. It would be interesting to see what they do with it but tbh I don't really like it, a bit boring really though it is a classic and so does have to be ridden when it opens. Lol

9. mushu

mushu New Member

The Paris one scared me quite a lot so I think I'll stick to the one in Florida...

It is a classic though, definately!

10. j0hnyoung

j0hnyoung Guest

They actually could change it to the one like Paris I guess..It was rumoured when I was there that they were going to..Dont know how true it is though..You've gotta remember that at the moment there's actually two tracks, exactly the same, next to each other..To try and help que times I guess..When I was there on my program, we got to ride it with the lights on a few times..There loads of rumours about it..I hope they do make it like paris, which, I reacon they will because of the length of time its guna be closed, but you never know I guess..

11. CharlotteSparkle

CharlotteSparkle New Member

it's kind of annoying that Space Mountain will be closed, I love that ride. Tomorrowland won't be the same without it :(

12. Disney Jess

Disney Jess New Member

Hopefully it may reopen whilst we're there.
    As for longer queues, we'll deffinately face them during School holidays, however at the very start,and end of our programmes hopefully they won't be very long(as i've learnt from past experience... barely had any queues some of the times i've been)

13. vik

vik New Member

i think it can be pretty easy to beat the queus any day just as long as you know how to do it with fastpasses etc, plus as CP's we dont need to do everything in one day so you can just leave certain attractions for another time which is pretty cool so you get more time for just goofing around in the parks which is the MOST fun!

14. KC

KC New Member

I thought Paris' mountain was powered by linear induction motors a lá Rock 'n' Roller Coaster... ?

15. Andy0228

Andy0228 New Member

I heard it was powered by gerbils.

16. vik

vik New Member

ive done some research and it turns out that actually it's powered by elves. non union labour.

17. j0hnyoung

j0hnyoung Guest

Haha, they'll probably be on more money an hour than we are!

18. Laura Jane

Laura Jane New Member

D'awww, not Space mountain :(

19. jingjo

jingjo New Member

Eek, well I'll be there from March thru June... I won't miss it... but even if I do...

........... we have a Space Mountain rip-off here in Thailand also... eew

lol