Roles on DCL

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Discussion' started by morrs084, Dec 7, 2010.

1. morrs084

morrs084 New Member

Hey,

So i'm thinking of applying for DCL next fall (i know ages away) but i was wondering if anyone could tell me in as much detail as possible the different roles on the cruise line and what you generally do in those roles. I'm leaning towards something with the Youths.. but don't know exactly what you do with them. Although i hear you can make decent money in service.
    Would be great to hear from anyone.

2. tinkithink

tinkithink New Member

The hiring company websites have tons of information on the roles! I applied/was chosen for Youth Activities Counsellor, which involves caring for kids (anywhere from like age 2 to age 17), all day long! Taking them for meals, keeping them occupied, cleaning the toys/the room, etc.

3. morrs084

morrs084 New Member

Yeah, I went on the dclcareers website and castaway website and both were good, but I wasd looking for like a typical day in that role (job wise) like the hours and all that. I'm torn between which role I want to do. But thanks!!

4. tinkithink

tinkithink New Member

I didn't get to apply for a specific role. I applied and then he said "I'm interviewing you for this role."

5. morrs084

morrs084 New Member

Ohh..
    well i that makes sense i guess. I know for CRP we just applied and put are preferences down and when they offered us are roles down there, that's when we found out.

6. tinkithink

tinkithink New Member

There wasn't even a spot for me to put a preference. And then when he said I got the job conditional of my medical check, he sent me this two page thing where it DID have a breakdown of the average day of the youth activities counsellor.

Where are you from?

7. morrs084

morrs084 New Member

I'm from Canada, Victoria to be exact. What about you?
    What kinda of things were on there?

8. tinkithink

tinkithink New Member

I'm glad someone else is on here 24/7 like I am!

9. morrs084

morrs084 New Member

haha.. it helps procrastination.

10. DisneyGibbs

DisneyGibbs Active Member

Oooh I'm applying for YA too! Well, actually, I got the job, they asked me to withdraw and now I'm waiting to hear again. Too much waiting for my liking! As far as I'm aware the days can vary. I did get sent the whole pack with an average day, but they did say it was very general and you could be working any kind of hours!

11. tinkithink

tinkithink New Member

What do you mean, they asked you to withdraw?

12. morrs084

morrs084 New Member

Louisa, i thought you were applying for CRP again?

13. DisneyGibbs

DisneyGibbs Active Member

I can't go on the cruise until February next year, and the DCL said it was a little too far in advance to be getting ready so they wanted me to withdraw and apply again. I don't know, I didn't have much choice!

Sam - I did apply again but didn't get a phone interview...but I'm thinking it was because I hadn't been back 6 months! I'm not sure I want to go back again now; it wouldn't be the same without the same people there. It would be different if I was working somewhere else or it was a permanent role, but I can't spend my life repeating the CRP!

14. morrs084

morrs084 New Member

Ahh i see, fair enough. I agree it wont be the same, but i'm still young (and you did ICP- so you've been there twice now) and i don't know. I just miss it. I'm determined to have a career with them regardless of if it's me finding an american or with the cruise line. Plus i want to make all that money again and go into service. Especially with Le Cellier going signature in March. :)

15. tinkithink

tinkithink New Member

I have Americans lined up, I'll share! =P
    Jokes, if you go to University and get a degree in something that's "specialized" (Drama, Film, etc.) then it's easier to get a Greencard because you're ADDING to the American economy, not taking away from it.
    I'm dropping out of school to go on the cruise. Yummy Jobs wouldn't take me back for the ICP (I have many theories), I applied twice after my first one, but Cast-A-Way was who I did my original ICP with, so it all worked out.

16. morrs084

morrs084 New Member

They wouldn't accept you even though you were going to school?

17. tinkithink

tinkithink New Member

I had a signed "We want you back" letter/reference sheet in my hand from my managers, but YJ said there were "more qualified" people than me.

18. morrs084

morrs084 New Member

Ouch, that's quite harsh.