Sea Sickness

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Discussion' started by pinksparkles2, Jun 24, 2011.

1. pinksparkles2

pinksparkles2 New Member

So those of you that have worked on a DCL before, or even just been on it as a guest.. does anyone get sea sick!?
    I really want to apply but the only worry I have is getting sea sick whilst working!
    I've never been on a cruise before so can't judge whether they make me sick, all I know is that I occasionally get sick on the ferry Dover-Calais! Which is a completely different size boat and type of water... so it's not really a comparison.
    Let me know your sea sickness stories! (bleugh)
    xxx

2. Emily

Emily New Member

Hi Harriet,

I get motion sickness in the car, but not planes, and recently went on a Disney Cruise. I was so worried I would spend the entire vacation sick and when the ship first started leaving the harbour I could feel it moving side to side and my head got a little light. But after about half an hour I couldn't feel it anymore and felt normal. I actually got "land sick" when I went ashore because my body was still rocking side to side while I was standing still. So from my experience I got used to it really quickly.

One night we apparently had rough weather (I slept through it) but I heard a lot of guests the next day were sick all night. They have patches you can wear if you are feeling sick, so if rough weather hits you can put a patch on.

Hopefully that helps you a little!

3. grooveyem

grooveyem New Member

When I was on my program, I went on a Royal Caribbean cruise and have never felt so sick in my life! It's really put me off doing the cruiseline. The first night was really rough and I'm not even joking, we were walking down the corridors like we were all hammered haha. I had to hold onto the wall in the shower.

I don't normally get seasick, so I didn't take any pills or anything. They did give them out at reception, but they made us really drowsy.

To be fair though, I think we just had a really bad first night. I know loads of other people who've been on cruises and not felt a thing. :)

4. kate003

kate003 New Member

They have sea sickness pills everyone in crew quarters apparently. When we went on a Disney Cruise the first night a ton of people were sea sick but I was totally fine. I forget what the sea sickness pills are called but apparently they work wonders if you do get motion sick

5. Tino_Bambino

Tino_Bambino Member

some people get it, some people dont.... i unfortunately got it bad but you get use to it especially if u go to the medical centre and they give you this injection that knocks you out for 8 hours Ginger ale will be ur best friend.

6. DisneyGibbs

DisneyGibbs Active Member

I'm quite lucky in that I was never really sea sick! The rocking just made me feel really tired at work, but it was lovely being rocked asleep. I took sea calm (the tablets onboard!) once and they made me feel worse. All the other times I thought I was getting sea sick, I was actually just really hungry. Haha! AND I was really worried the transatlantic cruise was going to be awful (normally when it gets rough you can remind yourself that it's ok because the next day will be a port day! Not so much when you have 6 sea days in a row!) but the water was like glass!

7. roxy84

roxy84 New Member

I also just got really tired when it was rocky. I took sea calm once my first contract and it made me feel sick. I used sea bands and ate green apples/drank ginger ale if I felt bad. I was generally good though. I made it through some ROUGH seas last summer in the med (35 foot waves) and taking the Dream home we had rough seas for 4 days straight across the Atlantic. I felt that working gave me something to focus on so I didn't get sick - I cruised on NCL and had rough seas and just slept like a baby for 2 days. I have never heard of any crew member being too sea sick that they had to leave. Most of the time (like 95%) you will have calm seas and it will not be an issue.